Trees For Sale quilt - need quilting ideas

I working on this quilt right now. But in a very different color scheme.

Can't tell you...it's a secret...you will see it soon enough...don't ask...I am warning you...it is going to knock your socks off...I hope! :P

Anyways, the tree blocks finish at 8" and I am making a king size quilt. Any quilting ideas? Should I just do a pantograph? Or what?? Help, please.

post--13461902785154_thumb.jpg

I like the ribbon candy in the trees like LinneaMarie suggested. Then SID around the trees and each block. Put an alternating background filler in the blocks, one filler in the light blocks and another in the dark blocks. A ribbon or rope in the inner border. The outer border fabric looks perfect for piano keys to me but that would depend on what fabric you use in your version.

Depending on your fabric (did you use the batik squares??), I think I'd use QD Puff and do small stipple or pebbles or something behind the trees to make them pop out. If the trees need texture, you could do something to make them look like trees (very descriptive, eh??:D) And if your border is as busy as the one in the picture, do something maybe echoing the background behind the trees, since it won't show and will just give texture.

Too me, I would do a loopy E2E. It's funky trees and I would just want to nail it down. Unless you want to practice something that you've been wanting to try, then I would do that. Any quilt that I make for myself, or even a family or friend gift, I will do something that I've been wanting to try. ;)

Very cute. I've seen something similar recently in one of the quilt magazines - can't remember which one, but it's multi-colored trees strip pieced with black and white backgrounds all around them. If I can find it, I'll check to see what knd of quilting they have -- IF they have any shown. Dar

I knew that I just saw something similar, look at page 56 in the Nov/Dec Quiltmaker just out on newsstands...in looking closely though, I can't see any quilting and I think they just did SID...(how boring)...

my thoughts would be to do the ribbon candy on the trees, SID around the trees, and then do some whispy wind looking swirls for the background. I do like the pebbling idea, but it would be so much work and on busy fabric I am not sure it would show, besides it would make a bed quilt a little stiff. Are you putting a border on it?

Archived