First quilt my DGD made.

I was up in Spokane last week watching the grandkids for DD and DSIL so they could get away, and my 13yr old granddaughter is taking quilting at the Jr. High there. this is her first quilt and she asked me to quilt it for her. I had only yesterday and today to quilt it in as she needed it back to begin learning how to bind it by this next tues. so here are a couple of pics of it. I think that she did a very nice job for her first quilt. It's a Karla Alexander pattern - Stack the Deck (perfect for a beginner because there are no corners to match perfectly!!)

I used some of my new Floriani thread #1128 a beautiful Orange color for the top, Fil-Tec Magna Glide in the bobbin, and Fairfield's 80/20 batting that worked pretty well with the stretch of the fleece back. All in all it was a dream to quilt. Everything worked together so that it was almost effortless to quilt.

OK, the first one is a close up of it...

2329151670094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

this is a full shot of the quilt

2715254270094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

And this is one of the back - she used fleece (lime green) and it quilted like a dream.

2000379300094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

Well, now I need to point this out to Siana....she is still waiting to finish her first quilt...only started it about 10 years ago. All kidding aside...you GD has done a wonderful job, and I'm pea green jealous. I so wanted Siana to be the next quilter in our family. She loves quilts, but thinks I need to do them all.:cool:

Wow, what a great team you guys are gona make someday!!! Well you already make a great team!!!Riley did a really good job on that quilt!

My GD is 7 years old and has her own handcrank Singer 99, which I bought her for £20/$30, its in perfect condition, gleaming black with perfect gold gilding... when I brought it home and took the cover off, Fieron said, "Oh Gramdma, it's beautiful"!!!!!

Best Wishes

Susan, it is all freehand. While I was in Spokane, I played around on my DGS's doodle board (whatever it's called) until she liked this design. Her mom thought paisley, she though swirls & curls, so this is what I came up with. Very fun to do. I only had a couple of spots where I overlapped some of the paisley loops. They don't show on the front, but reall show up on the back!! But I don't think that she will care. ;)

Archived