NQR - Favorite Sunday Meals

This is one of the only quilting boards where no-one talks about food. ;)

So here it goes.

As I cook up a giant pot of chili for the littles, I wonder what some of your favorite weekend meals are?

Do you have a family tradition you still follow?

As a father of 8 kids I think it's my responsibility to give these chickies some fun memories.

One of them is definitely Friday Chili (which I'm two days late making this week)...

What are some of your favorite comfort meals?

Matt, I love to throw a pot roast, well actually two, in the oven after marinating them in orange juice and garlic and molasses. We eat this with potatoes and green beans usually. Not always a Sunday tradition...but quite often anyways. The family just loves it. :)

For Sunday morning we almost always make a large pancake/sausage/egg breaqkfast. the kids so look forward to this!

In my Neighborhood, We do Friday Night Spaghetti!!

It's mostly in the summertime, but we try to get together all year.

In the summertime, we usually all eat together at least 4 nights a week!!!

Sounds crazy. but we like it!!

We BBQ, Have Potluck, everyone contributes something. the kids all play in the Street and

We all sit around and catch up with each other.

Sometimes we just do Ice Cream Cones in the Front yard.

Several of our neighbors have lived here for 30 plus years!!!

I love my little neighborhood!!!

Laura

DH had the smoker going all night last night. Today is "the best brisket I have ever made!" says he....some of you have tried his bbq...so you know what he is saying. For me he threw on 2 chickens and about 4 pork chops. No, this is not our normal Sunday or weekend meal, but when the weather warms up...the pit gets going.

Our favorite is a fresh dungeness crab, steamed artichokes (cooked in water, red wine, garlic and a little olive oil, and fresh - real sourdough bread. Serve it with a nice green salad. After that, homemade chili rellenos (they are delicious), anything Mexican or Italian, German shortribs (crock pot), roast pork, prime rib, roasted orange or lemon chicken, lots of soups in the winter or salads in the summer. I love to cook most of the time and am a very good cook. But, there are nights when a pizza (delivery) sounds just great! We love to try new things. My dh is my sous chef! We have fun in the kitchen.

Marilyn

Sunday: Chicken & dumplings, German grandma way. (Chicken breasts w/bone sauteed in oil, onion, bay leaf, garlic & paprika) Dumplings with flour, eggs, chopped parsley, & water)

This Sunday I'm making Beef Stroganoff from scratch. Some Sundays, pork roast with herbs in the Pampered Chef clay baker. It comes out soooo moist and fragrant.

And the baker is HUGE for those of you with more than one kiddo. I don't know how you do it!! I had a tough time keeping ONE teenager filled up!!!:D

This is making me hungry too!! :o Better get to cooking instead of sewing!!:P:P

Tonight its pot roasted beef and all the trimmings. Also a sunday fav is oven barbequed pork ribs and again all the goodies. And with turkey being so cheap compared to beef or pork we have several during a year with homemade noodle soup....and I usually make the noodles.

My favorite meals?!..........Almost all of them that Richard makes! Give me time to visit with you here and quilt.

He started making the meals years ago when I had an afternoon job so he could start his own business. The first night I came home to: ready to serve, pot roast, potatoes, veggies, the whole works were already on the table. I sat and told him this is good, (meant it both ways, taste and workwise). He has said it relaxes him, so who am I to take away his relaxation. I told him to let me know when he wants me to make something. He hasn't, so I don't! Compatible aren't we?

Tonight, it is Spinach Lasagna. I try and cook a big pan of something on the weekend. It gives me dinner when I come home from work late and don't have the energy to cook.

No Littles or significant other and I don't mind leftovers so a large pan of whatever can last me most of the week. I also usually share with my 84 year old mom.

Oh, where to begin! We have a large family so we cook and we cook big! :P

DH has gotten into the habit of cooking on the weekends, when he cooks it is usually one of the following

Lasanga, with tomato bread, salad

Steak, baked potao, saute' mushrooms & onions, salad

Orange chicken stir fry

Mostaccoli

Brats

Italian sausage

Hamburgers

When I cook (mostly during the week and some weekends)

I make....

Steak and gravy

Steak Fajitas, with homade guacamole and salsa (sometinmes with chicken)

Chicken Picatta

Ham & Potato augratin

Beef Stroganoff

Chicken parmagina

Chili

Pork Tamales

Pierogies (polish type dumplings)

Home made chicken noodle soup

Oh and my 3 older kids each cook 1 night a week

they usually make tacos, spaghetti or hot dogs. I love having teenagers :cool:

Glad you started this topic Matt. Thanks---What wonderful ideas and recipes everyone! Really Mary Beth---you may have a lot of requests for shuttle service!

Every first Sunday of the Month at our house it's Family Dinner Sunday. All the family is invited. Kid, grandkids, sisters, brother in laws, etc. With such busy lifestyles it's the only time we really get to sit down and eat and catch up with what's going on in all our lives each month unless it's by email or phone. We've been doing this for several years now. Not every one can make it each first Sunday, but someone alway shows up, and that's part of the fun.

Tonights Menu: Appetizer is pear wedges, crackers and brie cheese.

Main entree is: Oven backed chicken breasts. Wipe dry each chicken breast with a paper towel. Brush with mayonnaise and roll in italian season bread crumb. Line a large rimmed cookie sheet and cover with foil. Place chicken breasts side by side or depending on how many you have to serve a smaller pan could work. We are cooking 18 for eighteen this evening. Preheat oven at 350 for 15 mins. Place pan of the chicken into the oven and cook at 350 for approx. 1 hours. Test with fork. Clear juice should indicate they are done.

Steamed green Italian flat green beans tossed with olive oil.

Scalloped potatoes. There are so many recipes for this I'm not typing it out here.

Hot french bread.

Apple cider and water served with dinner.

Dessert: Brownies or Lemon cake squares from a box.

Coffee

After dinner we play a board game. Mexican Train dominos is usually the choice.

Well life for me has changed so much! LOL no more little ones on Sunday night. Madie goes home on Sunday. Usually something quick or like tonight, take-out! I actually love to cook and have lots of favorites so don't usually make the same thing every week. Madie's fav. is chicken cutlets, rice and broccoli. We love sausage and meatballs, Madie doesn't really like noodles. We love anything Mexican. Off to pick-up dinner!

Growing up, my dad had a farm where his main crop for several years was red beans.....so we had chili often and my mom would make home meade cinnamon rolls to go with it. I know that a lot of people think that sounds strange, but try it sometime. They really go well together. ;)

Matt, your post brings back wonderful memories and now that all these good ideas are out there, I think I'll go and peek in the fridge and figure out what I'm gonna have for dinner tonight.

:)

One of my wintertime favs is a large pork roast cooked in a cast iron dutch oven all afternoon. I dump in a large can of peeled tomatoes with the juice, several quartered onions, cut up carrots, celery, green peppers and garlic. I cook this in a 350 oven all afternoon (except the potatoes which I put in during the last hour or hour and a half). I like this with fresh green beans, a salad and either homemade bread or bakery bread...and real butter. ;)

What is also great is that I can get my chores done while this is cooking.

I have a lot of favorites, actually I just love food! LOL

After browning a London broil or chuck roast, add beef stock and half a cup or more of your favorite salsa along with a chopped onion. Simmer for 2 1/2 hours on the stove. Saute red peppers and onions. Remove about two cups of the simmering liquid, adjust the seasonings and reduce (boil) in a sauce pan until it is reduced by half. Shred the beef and place in a warm flour tortilla. Add the vegies, drizzle with a bit of the liquid, add sour cream and/or guacamole, wrap it up and OLE!!!:cool:

jambalaya, crawfish pie, file' gumbo . . .

piping hot boiled crawfish with corn, potatoes and mushrooms

boiled shrimp

fresh catfish from our pond -- fixed any way

fresh boiled corn from the garden and tomatoes and squash and cauliflower and peppers

oh my goodness a fresh yard hen!!! smothered a long time

cornbread dressin -- coony style

red beans and rice with andouille!

thank goodness my husband is the cook!!

Sandra

Archived