Yurt roof in progress 3 pics

Spent Friday with my friend Mo supervising cutting and joining of tweed roof sections - what a big job!

Some finished panels are on the milli frame to give you a taster

I've finally decided how to connect them all together - there will be narrow strips of leftover tweed between each panel to "connect" the roof with the walls - like punctuation.

We have devised a clever vecro and tape system that will attach the panels to the tweed bits. So it's finally getting there...

post--13461903675946_thumb.jpg

Linzi--you are making a GIANT slipcover for your yurt? I had it stuck in my mind that these gorgeous panels would be inside the yurt--am I wrong? When you show these roof panels the light bulb flickered and now I guess the outside gets the covering?

I am impatiently waiting for the final pictures of this monumental task. Bravo!

Reminds me of Christo and all the fabric-covered everything he did in the 70s and 80s--Running Fence and The Gates, etc.

The roof is tweed and inside is all the Hungarian dyed cotton (all vertical quilting)

The walls are the panels (with narrow tweed sections in between) on show on the OUTSIDE with dyed backs and all that stitching showing through the inside trellis - so the inside will be a muticoloured rainbow place (40-50 different backing colours) and the outside will be a wacky 57 feet round wall series.

It will have wooden painted doors at the front. Finally it will need something to sit on, possibly rugs, lights, fake wood stove and whatever else I manage to source (can't have a log burner at a quilt show inside!!)

WOW! it's just fantastic! So, just to clarify - this is for a show? You'll set it up inside a building for a show? or for you to present a show inside the Yurt?

What an incredible feat! Good for you!!! Can't wait to see it finished - take lots of pics for us! OR do a video and utube it for us!!!! YAY!

Hi Linzi

I have just realised what a huge task you set yourself with the yurt project, seeing you buried behind all of the quilted panels. The colours are really nice. I will try and get up to Scotland to see it in real life at the show !!!

Hope you are on target !!!

:)

Linzi, I am loving every minute of this. It is going to be one of a kind. Keep the pictures coming. Loving the studio that you currently have. Guess we need to make it to Scotland on our next trip over the pond. That is where my family came from. (Murray of Philaphaugh)...that spelling may not be perfect. I have quite a Scot history/genealogy.

http://murraysmithgenealogypage.bravehost.com/index.htm

Take a look if you have time. Look under Murray.

Hugs,

Marilyn

Planning a 2 week trip to the USA was probably not the wisest choice so close to the exhibition but there's nothing like a bit of pressure to get going! And I am SOOO looking forward to it!

It IS an indoor exhibition unless it goes somewhere like Sisters one day - it rains here a LOT.

Have to go and tackle the crying woman's kingsize DWR - I caved to emotional blackmail before I can get back on with yurty things. AND have to edge 20 chiffon scarves for the school show!!...

I will take lots of pics and probably could do a Youtube tour. I would love to bring it over to USA. I've got 2 interviews coming up so things are getting really exciting.

Archived