NQR Amazon Kindle / Sony e reader

I have the Kindle and really like it. I travel for work and it is convenient to be able to buy a book and download it without having to hunt for a bookstore in a strange city or at an inconvenient time....

I think Amazon has a free trial of Kindle on your PC if you want to try it out.

Amazon will send you the first chapter of any book for free which is another nice feature.

PeggyB

Hi Linzi,

I have the Amazon Kindle. One of the first ones that was introduced. ver. 1,(several yrs. old)--- I love it!

The best part of owning the Kindle in my way of thinking is the Whispernet instant downloading, (free connection) and the fact that you can "sample" a book first. Sampling is essentially a page or two from the book that gives you the flavor of the content, and helps you decide if you want to buy the whole book, or not.

I also like being able to access Amazons book store and reading all the reviews from readers, or finding my favorite authors latest books, and what's available.

Most books are $9.99 or less---and if they are a higher price than that---I wait. They usually come down in price eventually. There are also a lot of free books available at Amazon and for downloading at other on line sites. However, I use Amazon primarily as they have all of the most currant best sellers.

The whole Kindle concept is user friendly---;)

The Kindle has some really neat feature that my Sony Reader doesn't have....if you have finished a book and are ANY PLACE that has WiFi you can down load a new book...where the Sony Reader has to be hooked up to your home computer to download books.

Now I do like my Sony Reader as its smaller than the Kindle, but I think I would have liked the other features as well.

LOVE my kindle! Bought it as a gift to myself. The only thing I wouldn't use it for is to read at the beach. Would buy or borrow a paperback for there -too much sand and wind! Amazon has the biggest selection of books and best prices. You can also get LOTS of good books for free or really cheap to download.

Good luck!

Roseann Noll

Elysburg, PA

Phoenix Rose Quilts

www.phoenixrosequilts.com

I bought a Kindle about a month ago and I love it. I have the smaller size one and it is perfect for me. I read in bed and usually fall asleep reading. The Kindle goes into sleep mode by itself and remembers my place for me. No more rereading pages to find where I was.

Pamela

I read in the bathtub. Are these things waterproof? Not that my books are, but they're certainly less expensive to replace when they get dropped into hot water. Margie thinks I'm going to drown in there some day because it usually happens when I fall asleep!

mrmargie

Love, love, love my Kindle. I was like Cheryl, I love the feel and smell of the paper and thought the Kindle just wouldn't work for me. I was wrong. The Kindle "feels" like reading a regular book. At first I actually reached to turn the pages. And it's so convenient to get books, no driving to the book store or waiting for the book to arrive in the mail. I read so much more now and I was quite a reader before. My TV watching has dwindled down to only 3 or 4 shows a week. I also have Kindle for Blackberry and they keep in sync so if I have some down time at work I can read a little on my Blackberry.

I almost forgot, another great thing is the built in dictionary. If you don't know what a word means, you can get the definition immediately.

Originally posted by Gator

Can quilt books be downloaded on the Kindle? It would be a real space saver and I could buy more fabric to put in the storage space:D:D:D

Connie, your too funny! But I agree that it would save space for more fabric:P

DH got me a Kindle for Christmas. Of course, there were very subtle hints as I wasn't 100% sure I would be happy with books!! BUT, I am totally in love with my Kindle!! I have spent about $40 in books since Christmas as most of them have been free. And I've read probably 20 books so far!! And the classics, they are all free!! I enjoy sitting outside to read and I don't have to worry about the wind whipping the pages. I also love to read in bed. I can be all cuddled and comfy with only one hand out from the quilts. Yeah, I kept trying to turn a page too when I first started reading it. LOL For me, the Kindle has been a great investment!! And yes, you can download quilt books, but can you print pages from them? I don't know. Haven't learned that yet.

Archived