okay you guys, no laughing!

You should probably know that I have never previously used a longarm, nor taken any classes or attended any shows. I spent about 10 minutes driving one at a friend's house - my total experience. A LA seemed like a huge investment for an experiment, so an older machine seemed like a good compromise. I decided to buy the Ult I because I've done a lot of quilting on my DSM, and have been very comfortable without a SR.I figured, if I can do it on my DSM, why not on a LA? I looked at all the wonderful features of the Millie, and thought to myself, "You can get along without that stuff. These women are professional quilters that need to save every bit of time, so conveniences are important to them."

My Ult I has been set up in my "shed" for about a month now, but spring work in the vineyard and garden has kept me from actually DOING anything. I've been reading these forums faithfully, and have taken a lot of good advice. I purchased Edgeriders, a Hartley base expander, 4 rulers, a roll of batting, and zippers. I was going to install the zippers, but realized that if I did so my very first seam using the Ult I would be stitching on the zippers. Decided that would not be a great idea.

I got the machine cleaned and threaded, following Dawn's instructional video. I loaded a practice piece after watching both Dawn's video and Kim Brunner's Beginning Quilting video. All seemed to go well until I needed to run a line of stitching across the quilt top to "float" it. Oh my! First, I had to figure out how to use those dang clamps, since my machine doesn't have channel locks. My free motion experience on my DSM (where you can control both the speed of movement AND the speed of the needle at the same time) did NOT transfer at all to my new machine. Bummer!!! I

did get the line basted, but it wasn't a pretty sight.

And then there was the part about crawling around under the machine. My knees don't work as well as they used to, and after a bit of crawling around cleaning the hook, trying to get the bobbin case properly installed, and picking up the bobbins that fell on the floor when it wasn't, I realized that I'm not as young and flexible as I used to be, and maybe the hydraulic lift isn't a bad idea.

I shut the door to my shed and went into the garden and hoed and watered my onions. And rued the day that I ignored the advice from this board to buy the best machine available.

After hoeing the onions and sitting on the porch with an adult beverage, I went back to my shed and said to myself, "Stop feeling sorry for yourself and figure out how to make this thing work!"

I decided that I needed to get comfortable with the lack of channel locks, and I needed to figure out how to make even stitches without a SR. So, I stitched about 40 lines across the practice piece, setting the clamps each time. Practiced bringing the bobbin thread to the top (even though the tail was quite short, having been cut the with thread cutter). and trying to achieve 10 stitches/inch.

I first discovered that being left-handed, I didn't have very good control at all with my right hand driving, and my left hand following as I had seen on Kim's video. Okay. So I drive with my left hand, and I'll figure out later what the heck to do with my right. After a few lines of stitching, I found that I did fairly well getting even stitches until I had to move my feet. The I either had long stitches or really short ones until I got centered again. THAT's why a SR is good - it stops when you do. Eventually I figured out that when I began to get out of balance, stop. Move. Start again. Ah well, I know that there are people that do fabulous work with non-SR machines - TerriVB, for example.

Tomorrow is another day. I'll have a couple of hours to practice something else. I *wanted* to practice Kim Brunner's feathers, and a ribbon candy border, but now I realize that I may have been just a bit ahead of myself.

If anyone has good advice about exercises and practice for a newbie, I'd love to hear it.

Bonnie, I don't have any advice, since I have George. Purposely purchased so I didn't have to relearn or learn new moves to long arm from my DMS free motion.

But I need to give you all kinds of credit to share so much in depth of your first lessons. That takes a strong person. Keep at it, you will get it to work.

Thanks for your story.

Oh Bonnie, just hang in there!! I have been there, done that!! I bought my first Ult 1 used in 1996. At that time there were not SR or compurter machines. Ult 1 was the "top of the line" I had to teach myself. Just remember to take baby steps and enjoy the journey. I started out by just doing all over meandering on fabric to get the feel of stitch length and speed and running the machine. Started out with loose large meandering then slowly down to stippling. After I mastered that, I slowed the machine down and started template work with chalk and pounce pad. I have worked from the front of machine only from the very beginning. I still do not work from the back of the machine. Since the beginning of my quilting career I have owned an Ult 1, and do not regret that purchase. It is so different than DSM, but so rewarding and so worth it. Just hang in there you will get it!!

Hi Bonnie, I have to honestly tell you that..........

...... I never ever even imagined a smile or laugh while I read your story above. With every word of your story, I kept telling myself how awesome and brave you are, and that made me so proud and happy.

So, with that said, let me just say one more thing: You do like Irene says; keep going. Don't let fear get in your way. You can do anything you set your mind to. Remember the (let's just call them) pioneers of the longarm machines - these people are those who are the teachers and icons we look up to now. They all learned on the non SR machines, such as the Ult 1 and look where they are now? :) :)

Nuff said!!

Keep on goin, gurrrrl.... you are on your way!

PS: Attitude is everything and you have it. The only way for you is onward and upward. So when you get tired of hoeing the onions and vineyard, take a break and quilt your heart out.

:)

Bonnie,

You WILL get it and you WILL be good at it.

I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to practice simple loops and shapes that don't require stopping so you can get into a smooth rhythm. Do that for several days and then try something like a cursive C or M where you stop and change direction. If you practice even just a little every day I believe you will see improvement soon. By the way, I never use channel locks so don't fret not having them. Also, get a pack of the magna glide bobbins from fil tec. I find that I'm not on my knees nearly as much when I use these.

Happy practicing. ;)

Jessica

Bonnie,

Hats off to you for trying and you WILL get this and one day you will look back and laugh at yourself. As for ways to learn. I liked marking off a square on my muslin and worked on filling that. Try meandering, then loops, then maybe a shape that you are comfortable with. To get the feel for your machine try stitching circles, round and round and round as fast as you can. As you go around in one direction you will notice that your getting more and more comfortable. Once you get the feel for it going counter-clockwise then start going clockwise. Before you know it you will be quilting like a mad woman and your gardens will be filled with weeds like mine!

You are doing great. I think all big new toys can be somewhat intimidating. I also think that you just need a new skill set that comes from practice. The older machines work great, but there is sometimes a little more of a learning curve because you don't have a SR. You can have one installed that comes from I/Q.

Keep practicing and remember we all have to start somewhere. Soon you'll be zipping along with your machine!

Bonnie,

So proud of you for tackling the unknown! It seems redundant, but just keep practicing. There is a learning curve with anything new and everyone has to go through it. Just give yourself permission to play. In no time at all, you will feel so comfortable with your machine, it will all become second nature.

Good luck.

Bonnie, I too have bad knees and cannot squat or kneel below my machine. I have made myself a wheeled , 'scooting-around' stool for getting at the bobbin etc for cleaning. I got one of those wooden plant stands on castors - in total it's approx 5" high. I added a foam pad covered in flannel to sit on top & this works pretty well. It just lives under the machine next to my box of cleaning materials.

Remember to breath & relax your shoulders. Somebody once told me that singing sometimes helps - that hymns are particularly good since most of us know some of these & they have good pace/rythym(?) Good luck and look back each day at how much more you have learned & you'll soon see how you are improving.

Bonnie,

I have 3 APQS machines. I love my Ultimate I. I am left-handed too. I will send you an email later this evening with some things that I have done to make quilting easier for me. Don't worry. You will be great. I quilted on a domestic before I got my first Millie. Everyone who uses my Ult. I just loves her!!

Sandra

Guest Linda S

Bonnie - I think we've all been there. When I got my Liberty, I played for a few days and just loved it. Then, I suddenly had some thread tension problems and then my sister brought me an applique quilt with some really weird batting, and I felt like I was quilting with flat tires. After that, I closed the door to my studio and was afraid to go in there. Judy Laquidara finally convinced me to set an alarm for 7:00 each night, and I had to go and turn the machine on and stitch for at least an hour. Well, most nights I didn't come down till after midnight!

I just have a horizontal channel lock (manual) on the Liberty. You can make yourself some channel locks by getting a couple more clamps. If you clamp onto the rails before and behind your wheels, you can keep the machine in a straight line. That will work well for getting your initial basting on straight. AND, just so you know, the very first thing I ever stitched on my Liberty was the zippers! I'm allergic to pins -- they make my fingers bleed.

Linda

Bonnie--I know that you can do this!!! Start with the meandering to get the feel of your machine--think about what you are doing--pretend that your needle is the lead of the pencil and you are holding the "pencil" in your handle. Then just concentrate on moving the head at the same pace--this is the important part of a nonSR machine--don't look so much at the stitch length as to making the stitches mostly the same size--if they are all kinda long--stay that way--I found when I started that my stitches where longer--running a speed of about 6--I wanted to move the head too fast--now I run my speed about 7--move the head a bit slower and can get a nice mostly consistant length.

Don't hesitate to try lots of new designs--as they all will teach you something. Remember the stop button is your friend--while the SR allows you to stop and think--so does the stop button--push the button--stop and think--push the button and go.

It doesn't hurt to push stop--move your feet--and then start again--you will eventualy learn to move with the machine--but don't worry about that right away--just get the feel to moveing the head at a steady even pace and you will be amazed at all that you can do.

Let me know if I can be of any help to you and keep at it!!!

Terri

Today was a slightly better day. I decided - What the heck, how bad can feathers look? Um, it tuns out, pretty bad. I found that quite a bit of the time they were sort of square. But other times I had no trouble making nice round ones. My back-tracking was pitiful. Then I went back and tried to stipple the areas around the feathers. Oh dear, it is harder to keep nice round stipples with a giant machine. But, I'm not discouraged. So maybe square feathers will become the next happening thing:-)

The bobbin thread kept getting caught somehow in the bobbin case. Eventually I discovered that it isn't a good idea to pull the head away from the last stitch, keep the threads taut, and then use the thread cutter. If you cut the bobbin thread when you complete a run, THEN move the head away to clip the upper thread it works better. Upper thread kept breaking. Hmm. I had changed bobbins and didn't do the Dawn-approved clean out - it LOOKED okay. After the third thread break, removed the bobbin case, did the cleaning and oiling, replaced the bobbin case, and had no more problems. Heard a funny squeaking noise - OH DEAR, have I ruined something? No, just needed to apply a little oil to the many wicks.

I found that running at between 5 & 6 was sometimes a little too slow, but usually allowed me a bit of time to think. I did try seven, and I'm guessing that will work better when I've had a few more miles of thread stitched out.

Had to roll the practice piece forward. Decided that my brain was pretty much in overload. Returned to the house and had a glass of wine (it is raining today - too chilly to sit on the porch).

Tomorrow I AM going to try big meandering, as several of you have prescribed it. I want to try to follow a pounced stencil, and I'm NOT giving up on round feathers.

Thanks to you all for your support and advice. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

All in all, a pretty good Mother's day - especially since DH is cooking dinner.

I had a hard time getting started on my first machine. Finally I made myself practice a half hour a day. From then on it was so easy.

Just remember to draw the feathers on paper. Everything I ever read said your feathers will be much better when you draw first. It has to do with training the brain. Don't draw with your wrist like you write. You have to move the entire arm.

Yes, quilting a little faster was easier than trying to go slower. Don't know why.

See, this is your second day and you're already better. Keep up the good work.

Well, Bonnie, believe me I'm not laughing. I got my Milli in 2004 and was completely terrified of it. It took me well over a month to get up the courage to turn it on. Looking back, I now realize that it's just fabric and thread...no big deal. Just practice and the moves will come. It does get easier. Although there are times when I still just can't seem to sink the needle in for the first time on a quilt.

I certainly can't crawl around under Jennie (my Milli)..I'm too old and too stiff. I put a long mirror on thetable on the back of my machine and use a flashlight to see the stitching on the back of the fabric. Plus I run my hands over the stitching on the backing and you soon learn the feel for good and bad stitches.

Just enjoy your machine and bond with it. You'll soon be looking back on this time and be able to laugh about it. Good luck and KEEP STITCHING!!

Oh, I almost forgot, I hate the thread cutter. I bring the bottom thread up to the top and cut...no trailing threads to get caught in the wheels. Makes it so much easier and neater.

Bonnie, your doing such a good job. I know how you feel, I think we have all been there done that. We spend so much money on these machines we are afraid to break something. I would suggest getting some instructional CD's there are a lot of there for newbies and have fun! And remember we are here if you have any problems. Good luck and have fun!

Bonnie,

Keep practicing. I too had to relearn how to quilt. It is much different to manuever the sewing head that to manuever the quilt. I drew lines with markers on scrap fabric and sewed many rows of ovals and circles, etc. until I could get rounded and not squared off shapes. I also did this for different sizes 1/2 inch up to 2 inch. Back tracking is still a challenge. I found however that the more I did, especially right at first, the better I got. Good luck.

Debbie

From one Bonnie to another. No laughing here. As much as we harp on PPPing we all really hate it and hate to hear that it's needed. When I first touched my nonregulated machine. The toe nail hanging stitches were huge. It took several months for me to get mind,hand movements, and the side stepping dance down, so I wouldn't look like a pretzel and loose my balance. Personnally you rock, and a glass of wine never hurts either.

Bonnie! Congrats on your Ultimate 1! I love mine... sometimes I wish I had a SR, but not always...

Yes, it takes patience and plenty of practice ... feathers will actually be some of the easiest stitches you'll do... You will find your own pace with your machine... don't be afraid of it and just put plenty of practice pieces on and go with it...

Here's a pic of some easy feathers to do... I think they're called "molar" feathers... I love them!

Good luck and remember there's lots of support here!

post--13461904090496_thumb.jpg

Archived