where can i get these?

Yes, these are DEFINITLY PVC pipe in the plumbing dept at lowes, Home depot, Menards. etc.

Now, there is a difference between PVC and CPVC pipe. CPVC pipe is a yellowish in color, and I believe thicker than PVC. Looks like they cut it out, and then sanded it with a belt sander to smooth the edges.

I missed a spot on my quilt while quilting and didn't catch it until I was beading it. I just used the long woodworking clamps to temporarily hold my quilt. I only had to clean the up first from the sawdust and who knows what from the garage, but it worked for me in a pinch.

What diameter pipe are those. So I can make some. I had to return the clamps before hubby got home!!!

What he don't know, don't hurt me.

Shirley

It's definitely pvc, probably 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch diameter. I was just in Lowes a few days ago and I think the 5' lengths were about $3.50 and 10' for about $2.98 (yes, 10 feet was cheaper that 5 feet!). Pretty inexpensive stuff. That was for schedule 40, but your picture looks like it might be thinner walled than schedule 40. Have Dory measure the diameter of her clamps for you, and make note of the numbers on the sides. You should be able to match up some of those numbers to make sure you get the same pipe. You could also take the pictures with you and I bet a sales associate can help you find just what you need.

I'm no plumbing pipe expert -- just happens my husband is rigging up a lighting system for "Twyla" and we just bought some of this pipe to build it. There should be a little pipe left over, and if it's the right diameter maybe I'll get a few clamps in the process!

i went to a couple of name brand chain stores...rhymes with home depot, Ace, and Lowes....i'll let you figure them out *snicker*

it is NOT thin walled PVC it is -in fact- central vaccum hose. i have a supplier/installer nearby that i plan on going by tomorrow...i'll keep you updated...the clue came with how glossy and smooth the inside of it is...*shrug*

but i do have one little vent *ittty bitty* why do men assume women are stupid when it comes to sterotypical 'manly' subjects? i also hate that elvis drawly "now-look-here-pretty-lady" tone too....*grr*

Shannon,

I don't often post but what you just said is so true!!!! I have really found this out since DH died and now I have to do all the "manly" things myself! It does make me mad too that men assume that females can't or don't know some of these things!

I HATE that...I was in the "Big Orange" one time getting some plumbing pieces. I wanted to install an outside faucet. Yes, I wear the tool belt in the family. The ASS-ociate told me I needed this part and that "my husband would know how to install it"... I explained to him that my husband (whom I love dearly) doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to use as a hammer and that I would be doing the work. I later told his manager about the incident, havent seen Mr. Ass-ociate around since.

okay- follow up.

i took a field trip today and stopped by my local central vaccum supplier. it is 2" central vac PVC...i got the 'dust care' pipe which is super smooth on the inside. an 8foot stick cost me $10 + tax.

i plan on cutting it into 2.5" segments and use my dremel to smooth of all the sharp edges...

i promised i'd tell you what i found.....:D

Shannon,

Be careful when cutting and using the dremel or router - the PVC dust can get into your eyes and lungs - and you will cough for days -- use eye protection and a respirator mask as Dave does when makes the clips. He does make them wider if you wish.

He makes them strong enough to hold, yet not too strong so they will "pop" off if you start to roll the quilt leader too far, so it does not rip the pins loose or the quilt top.

Jane

Archived