Why should I buy a Used Millie over a new Innova for the same price?

Yes, I love the Millie. But I am going to see the INNOVA on Friday. Let's back up. My Dad for my 52nd birthday on Saturday said he would finance me on a LA machine. My heart has been on a Millie. I know I can by a used Millie within the budget he gave me. But investigation shows me that I can also buy a new INNOVA 26 for the same price. I love the Millie that I rent. What should I do? I am torn at this point....

Price isn't the only factor in your decision - or shouldn't be. Like Liam said, try the Innova and then compare features.

Before Friday, make up a list of the things you want a longarm to do for you: smooth curves, stitch-in-the-ditch (all directions!), pantographs, perfect tension with different threads, use specialty threads, etc. Also look at the ability to quilt large blocks or blocks on point, table size and height, table stability, how to advance the quilt (I love my power fabric advance!), and all that.

If you have the time, go to the Millie you rent and stitch a sample piece. Then take that same quilt sandwich to the Innova (and the same thread combo, if possible) and stitch the same patterns. This is the best way to compare apples and apples...;)

Only you can decide how much weight to give each of these things, compared to the price.

All that being said, buying a longarm is like buying a car: only you know what suits you in the end. And you're gonna have to test-drive any machines that fit your needs, before you make a final decision. All we can do is tell you why we like the one WE bought - and for me, the control I have on my Millie, my ability to use ANY thread combo I want, and the wonderful service and support provided by APQS (and all us reps;)) keeps me in the APQS camp.

You'll find lots of machines cheaper than a Millenium, but they aren't as well made. On the other hand, many people buy them. Just be happy with the one you choose because I wasn't happy with my first choice. Now, I'm REALLY happy with my Millenium.

Something else you MUST do before you make a decision: talk to current Innova owners - about service, the ups and downs of their machines, anything you would ask here about the Millies. Meg Marshall has one and I think Sherry Rogers also has one - send a message to them and ask why they switched.

I tried an Innova..and honestly, I liked it. There were many features about the table that were terrific. But, that wasn't enough to sell me though.

In my opinion, I still feel that the Millie has better stitch quality. I already own my Frogger (green millennium)...and love it. But, I would recommend trying the Innova and deciding for yourself. Maybe some things you will like better and feel that you are better matched to. :)

When doing comparisons, check to see what support, maintenance training to keep your machine humming, etc is availble. How comfortable are you about getting under the hood of the machine. If not, how far away is the closest help? I have a friend who's machine was out of commission for two years while she tried to get help fixing it (Not an APQS machine). I looked at their web site and found no hint where to go for help. While we'd like to think nothing will ever go wrong after we've spent all the $$$$$$$$, S--tuff happens.

I think we live in a day and time where we as consumers are offered many choices; and the more fabulous thing about that is there are a lot of wonderful machines out there to pick from! So take your time and do a lot of test driving and question asking. I think there is an Innova chat group on Yahoo. Log in there and hang for a few weeks or a few months. It's a big decision. And, like Barb aid, the overall price isn't the only factor in your decision - or shouldn't be. I would venture to bet that a used Milli that has had the spa treatment in Iowa is probably good as new, too. Like any type of mechanical thing, machines need to be maintained, tuned up, parts replaced, etc. Best wishes with your new adventures! Take your time. It will be fun.

I looked at the Innova this year at Knoxville show out of curiosity. I asked about their warranty. It is in no way as good a s APQS. Also, it vibrated quite a bit. When I asked about it the Innova guy said, "well that doesn't bother me", although it sure bothered me a lot. The Innova moved well and it does got to 22 st/inch but that warranty and the vibrations didn't compare to the APQS Millie by a long shot.

Someone with more expertise than I have may be able to help you. I know nothing about the Innova, but if I was buying another LA I'd want to know more about the stitch regulator. I was recently at an APQS road show and the fella there was talking about why APQS has a superior stitch regulator to all/most/some ? other machines. If memory serves me, it had to do with APQS being an analog system and because of that the stitch regulator does a much better job with changes of direction. For example at the tip of a leaf you would get a nice crisp pointy tip with a stitch at the end of the leaf, with all/many/some ? others the tip of the leaf may be rounded not pointed.

Like I said, I don't know alot about it, but I'd be asking about it if I was shopping. By the way, I love my Millie.

Carol

OK - I'm going to jump in here since I am one of the few who owns both. First - basic machine to basic machine - that means no extra special upgrades.

Millie - without the Bliss, I find the basic Innova much easier to handle - curves are much easier and smoother.

Innova - without Lightning (the new SR) - Millie's SR is much better.

When both machines are set up properly, tension is correct - fabulous stitching from either machine!!!!

You add each of the new add-on's to the machines, & they become pretty equal - then it is strictly a matter of what feel you like best - how does each machine feel to you. Also, whichever machine you try, remember that some machines are not set up as well as they should be. I always recommend that people try to find personal machines (not show machines) to try no matter what the brand.

I find the Innova easier to maintain on a day to day basis - no big deal since whatever machine you have you have to take care of - keep the lint out, oil, clean the rails, whatever.

I find that the Innova handles more threads easier and tension adjustments seem to be quicker to get, but again, each machine handles many threads and in this area both machines are very good.

Each company has fabulous support. I think they are pretty even in this area. Both companies go out of their way to keep their customers happy.

The Innova has the "Sew Speed" built into the basic machine which is the same as the add-on "Quilt Glide" on the Millie. If you want to do lots of micro work, this is a huge.

If you would like to talk, send me a U2U and I will send my phone number. You won't go wrong with either machine. It really boils down to what feels best to you. I personally tend to like my Innova better but in all honesty - both are outstanding machines!!!!! I have absolutely no vibration with my Innova - goes back to how well the machine is set up. I have seen Innovas set up poorly and I have seen Millies set up poorly - when either is set up poorly, they both are bad - just like any other machine.

A final point, but not one that should sway your decision is the fact that Innova builds 3 heads - all the same just different sizes. You can add any additional item to any of their basic machines when you purchase or later on. Many owners have purchased the basics and then added on as they could afford. The Millie, on the other hand is pretty much a machine with all the bells and whistles - a much higher base price. When you add everything on to the Innova to make the machines equal, I think they are pretty much the same price - the Millie might be a bit more - you will have to compare the machines line by line and with all additional options to really figure this out.

Good luck and welcome to the L world!!

Denice,

You've received lots of terrific advice. It's like trying to buy a car, isn't it! If we all liked the same things we'd all be driving VW Beetles (after all, who can resist a good game of "slug bug"? :) )

One additional point I will add to the discussion has to do with the stitch quality, as Carol earlier mentioned. The APQS machines all include the same high-quality stitch regulator and give you precision stitches that have helped quilters win awards with their accuracy and quality. On difference I have discovered with the Innova line is that one must choose between the quality of the stitch regulator you prefer. The models come with a "standard" stitch regulator. Or, for $1000 more, you can choose a "pro series" regulator that "includes higher precision stitch regulation which

yields 5X greater accuracy than our standard stitch regulation." It makes one wonder...

Warranty is important, and certainly customer service. Let us know if we can provide additional information to help you with your decision.

WOW!!! I am taking all of this to heart. I am making my list and I have several pieces of the work with the Millie stitches.

I will let you know what I am thinking after I try the machine on Friday afternoon.

I am also taking a friend with me who uses an Ultimate 1. Sorry it is not Liam, but he is welcomed to come if he can make to OH by 3pm on Friday. :):)

Meg, I sent you U2U.

Archived