General Questions from Newbie

Hi Everyone! My name is Marlene. I'm from Sunny South Africa in a tiny farming community similar to your "Midwest" area and have been 'lurking around" your forum for some time now and I must say the friendliness and support found here is phenominal !;)This is the first forum I've ever joined, so please bear with me if I didn't post this right...

I am very interested in a Lenni machine but read somewhere on this forum that there is a special on the "Green Lucy" (??) 'till end of December. Not sure.... Could anyone let my know of any specials? Would you ladies recommend second hand machines (especially for export to another country)? For me, every dollar counts as our exchange rate to the USD is quite weak! I would also like to know if there are other APQS owners in South Africa and how the whole export procedure works.

I must admit I am so excited to go from a 9" to a longarm, but here in South Africa we do not really have the agents / support structure for LA's, so I have to basically buy this machine without a testdrive, on a gut feeling that this is the right one for me. I have also considered an HQ Avante 18. Maybe someone who has had an HQ could let me know on how good a machine it is?? But actually I have my heart set on a Lenni... despite the financial implications.

If any of you could shed some light on this or any other hints you might have for me in choosing a machine (besides trying them all at quitshows which is impossible here) I would sincerely appreciate it :) I guess I'm also looking for some moral support here LOL....... It is a tough decision and I am sure with your help, I'll make the best informed choice possible....

Welcome! I don't own a Lenni, but I have tried it at quilt shows. It is a sweet machine and stitches well. Since you are so far away and considering the length of the warranty APQS offers, which is 8 years, my choice would be buying new. Warranties don't transfer from previous owners and green machines have a 1 year on them, so take this into consideration.

You can't go wrong with an APQS machine!

http://visitor.constantcontact.com/manage/optin/ea?v=001gefDXOImcDtktzEbSQOraw%3D%3D

hi marlene - if you follow the link i have pasted it will take you to the newsletter sign up page. once you sign up for it - you will receive a daily email from apqs and all the specials will be in that newsletter.

good luck deciding. i have a freedom and just love her. it is most helpful if you can get to try out your machine before buying. not sure if that's an option in South Africa, but if it is - that's a BIG help.

Happy researching....good luck deciding.

Welcome,Marlene!

Yes, this is a great forum where we can get lots of help when needed. Have you asked for an info pack to be sent to you? I had one when I was looking to upgrade - it had a DVD in it plus lots of written info comparing all the different models. It is bit difficult when you can't test drive but you can only do the best research you can, then decide. The 8 year warranty was very important to me, amongst other good things!

Shelley

Welcome marlene. I own a green millennium. When I purchased it I remember Mark telling me that even though it only had a one year warranty..for the savings I was getting over new..considering the most expensive part that could go out being the motor at about $350...how could I really go wrong. He was right. Two years later...it is still going strong. Green means new internal guts..used casing. I would buy the best machine you could afford. you won't be wanting to upgrade so fast if you do. Take all this into consideration and enjoy the shopping/researching process. Apqs is a great company. But you already know that as you have been following the forum. The products can't be beat and neither can customer service. Happy quilting.

I am just wondering if there is a difference in the electricity in South Africa that would require changes in the machine. some time ago someone from South Africa was trying to sell I think a Lenni and said it would not work there. Now mind you we here on the forum were all leary that this person was not an actual owner and a possible scam. Never did hear much more other than her insistance that she had purchased the machine in Florida and taken it to South Africa. Just would want you to check out all the necessary information before making any purchases. I for one own a Lenni and am extremely happy with it. The Lucey is pretty much the same only somewhat larger and the deal I saw about the Green Lucey was even enticing to me. If I had a buyer for mine I would almost think about making the change as it could only get sweeter with the bliss and extra table space.

Lenni is a super machine. I've been to South Africa, Cape Town was my favorite port when I was in the Navy. I don't remember but I'm thinking that you all probably use something other then the states, electricity wise. Are the machines sent to our Aussies and Brits, etc. wired differently (i.e. DC, 220 or something else). The best way for you to get the answers about importing a machine would be APQS, they have a contact number and email address on the homepage. Welcome to the group, and have fun shopping and asking questions.

Welcome to the forum! It is tough when you can't compare machines - I was able to compare a number of machines at the show in Calgary AB this May -- and I need to tell you I kept coming back to the APQS booth for a number of reasons - ease of movement, very little vibration to the handles - (really none, with APQS), handle position, stitch quality, stitch regulator and all the bells and whistles APQS offers, plus the warranty. I did end up buying a Millie and have been verrrrry happy since.

When I commented on short-comings with other machines, especially vibration to the handles, the reps all said, 'oh it must be the floor, or the machine isn't level" but really, the machines didn't measure up.

Support from APQS is just a phone call away - long distance for you, but they are very skilled at diagnosising anything that might need some tinkering. Plus this forum is the best -- so much support and experience here!

Good Luck! May you be LA'ing soon!!

Joanne Flamand, aka wannabelongarm

Artistic Quilt Design

How exciting to have you join us from South Africa! I love reading the posts from around the world. We have had our Millie just over a year and she is SWEET. Millie and Lenni were the only 2 machines we tried before buying. I had done so much research that I knew we wanted APQS. Our first choice was Lenni because of the price difference and I loved her size. We ended up with a used Millie because we got a good deal on a slightly used one. I just don't think you can go wrong with an APQS.

Hi Marlene, I am in the UK and i have the Lenni. APQS wire the electrics for the country you are in, so you should not have a problem there.

Like Jeanne I think the Green Lucey is a great deal, and if I was able to upgrade, I would be definately consider the Green Lucey.

I don't have much to add to what has already been said. I got my Lenni in Aug. and love having her. I tried as many machines as I could at two different quilt shows. I too kept going back to Lenni. I love her lighter body, easier for me to handle. Although I'd never complain about having a Millie if one came my way.

Welcome Marlene! You've come to the right forum for education, support, laughs, etc. I own a Lenni and just love her. Lenni is light and smooth, but without the bells and whistles of her bigger sisters. Everyone gives good advice here. APQS can answer all of your technical questions. Have fun shopping!

Welcome Marlene,

I've had an APQS machine since May and absolutely love it. You can't go wrong with APQS. I was actually going to buy an HQ when I first starting doing my research however, I heard that there were problems with the HQ stitch regulators. In fact, my friend went back to quilting on her Bernina because she was so unhappy with the quality of stitches on her HQ. She was sick that she spent $8000.00 and couldn't use her machine because if affected the quality of her quilting. I feel that I made a fantastic decision because of the excellent customer service APQS provides. Good Luck!

Janet

Howdee all! I am so thrilled to hear all the positive things everyone said - I'm now just considering whether I should buy a Green Lucey or a new Lenni....

Thanks again for everyones input.... hear all the 2 cents dropping ;)

Thank you Vicky for posting me the Info package and DVD on the double. The electricity is also no problem as it is the same as in the UK. Thanks again everyone!

Janet - sent you a U2 offering to help your friend with her HQ, and my e:mail address. There's no reason she cannot learn to work this machine, the same as anyone learns to quilt on any brand of longarm. It's a learning process for most of us...espeically on tensions ;)

No one needs to have a machine sitting and not being used. I'll be happy to help her - or she can join the Yahoo Group HQ16 (although it's for all HQ models, we just didn't change the name) where many people are available to help her. Or she can simply call HQ, who have awesome customer service. Somehow, we'll get her to quilting...if she's willing :)

Debbie in Austin

Marlene: Living where you do, I wouldn't consider anything but an APQS or a Gammill. They're both very durable. The important thing for you is the customer support provided, and both companies are great. In my experience the most important thing to look at is the table. Whichever machine you decide to buy, buy the best table they offer. When I looked at the HQ's, I was very disappointed in the table. If you read old posts here, it seems some version of Lenni tables leave a lot to be desired (don't know whether they still use them or not). If the table doesn't provide a good platform for the machine, the machine will never realize it's potential. Good luck with your shopping. Jim

Hi. I understand your dilemma!! I have been around in circles trying to decide between Lenni and Millie. I spent 2 enjoyable days last week with Linzi the UK rep and her Millie. I considered the green Lucey seriously , but have decided from a space/cost viewpoint that I will go for a new Lenni on a 12 foot Bliss table, so that I have a full warranty. Then hopefully if quilt advance ever becomes available I can then add that to Lenni. Having the opportunity to test drive a Quiltazoid was brill!!

Looking at all our snow I dont think I will get one delivered until next summer!!!

Good luck with your decision.

Marjorie

x

Archived