"Forum" addiction

Accents.... humphhhhh??!!!!

I don't think I have any accent at all, but -----------

Australians think I speak with a South African accent .................. Americans think I speak with a British Accent ...................... South Africans can't place me at all................ I speak German with an Australian Accent .....

Does that mean I win???? :P:cool:;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learned long ago that Kansas people don't have accents since we are from the central US. I also heard that a lot of newscasters are from Kansas because they don't have accents. :P My neighbor has lived in Kansas all her life until a few years ago, but her ancestors were from Minnesota. She has a Minnesota accent and I can't figure out how that happened since she never lived there.

I read the posts like I'm talking unless it's someone I've actually talked to and then it's their voice, too. :)

what about me? do i have one? :o

i think sandra, shana's mil (brain fart on her name) & vicki tied for best accents at camp sonrise..what about you?

southern, german & brooklyn respectively. :cool:

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by hmerrill

I don't have an accent do I?

Kinda...... yeah you do...a little. :)

I don't have an accent... do I???:P

Originally posted by meg

what about me? do i have one? :o

Meg.... Oh my goodness...Let's see... Does a bear poop in the woods? She asks if she has an accent? OH YEAH BABY!! YOU DO!!!~~~~YES!!!~~~~~BIG TIME!!! :P HUGE!:cool: I TOALLY LOVE IT!!! IT's AWESOME!! ;) ;) You are a blast, girl! I love the way you talk;;; you are the FUNNEST!!!

And speaking of FUN... I totally love love LOVE Vicki's Brooklyn accent. SO FUN! That girl is a kick. LOVE HER!!

And Ingrid, My MIL from Germany. Love her accent too. :)

Originally posted by Susanne.Hughes

Australians think I speak with a South African

Susanne,

I have to agree with you. I have a coworker (new) and he has an accent so I was chatting with him and I say to him. Well, you don't have a British accent, but you kinda sound like maybe you're from Australia?? And he says no, I'm from South Africa! :D

**slapping my forehead**

INGRID

**sheesh ~ if i had a brain, i'd be dangerous!**

i thought we were gonna meet Ingrid for lunch when she came to Syracuse with your SIL for art supplies...what happened????

btw~i am shocked you think i have a major accent...guess when you listen to yourself, you dont hear it!

I am from Minnesota (Minnesohter as my Boston-born husband would say) and didn't think I had an accent until I moved to Boston and people said I had one. Now that I've lived here for 20 years, I can hear it when I talk to people from back home. And now they say I have a Boston accent. I say I'm verbally conflicted.

I love this forum too! Knowing I can see anything, learn anything, ask anything related to quilting (or not) at the touch of a keyboard is so inspiring, educational and comforting. Thank you all for your talent, knowledge, kindness and time! (What would I do without commas?)

• 6 months later...

Oh, too funny! Born and raised in SC, my accent is softer than the Regal Ones and Redneck isn't allowed but most definitely Southern. After 10 years being around a British accent, some people can't tell whether I'm British or American. My British friends tell me I don't really sound British but my American family & friends say I don't sound American either!:D It's further complicated by the mix of proper English & American speech. I guess I'm in the verbally conflicted boat with Carrie. :P

PS: Talking about not hearing accents in yourself. My ex (a New Yorker from Westchester) said he doesn't have an accent (he most certainly does) and he never could hear an accent on his dad. His father immigrated from Italy in the 1920's and after 70-odd years in the US, STILL sounded like he stepped off the boat yesterday!

Originally posted by Busy Quilting

I am sure I can find 5 more to make it a 12 step plan.

Let me help you Lyn...

1. Roll out of bed, log on

2. Breakfast

3. Morning

4. Mid-morning

5. Lunch

6. Mid Afternoon

7. Tea

8. Finish quilting

9. Before Dinner

10. Dinner

11. After Dinner

12. Heading to bed

Be sure to leave the laptop open to this page so it takes less time. :P

Yes I am just one more added to the daily addiction and many times a day!Maybe that is why I'm still unpacking 3 months after my last move.(hopefuly my last move) I love all the help and advice,only problem I find,just a bit sad when I see all the beautiful quilts and wonder if I will ever be able to do half as well.

Southern accent I have!I remember when I moved to Neb. to finish high school and thinking boy the people here sure or hard of hearing!The joke was on me.Seems as someone was always asking me to repeat,they didn't hear what I said.So after several times of repeating myself I finally ask one of the girls whats wrong with you people are you all hard of hearing?Of course you all was more in the form of ya'll! Everone had a good laugh and said nope,we just love to hear you talk.

I like Rita and Himself's version, we are dedicated.....addicted.

I also feel left out if I don't get to check it every day. I just need to limit my time reading so I actually get quilting done. However, I also do consider it my Quilting Classroom and have learned so much from all of you. I also enjoy the laughs, airing the laundry so to speak, am comforted by other's mishaps and enjoy the thought provoking moments as well. Thanks everyone for keeping my days lively.

Archived