Serious get together event

Ok if we are all going to get together lets do it in Desmoine

That's where Dawn is and the main office. Maybe we could get them to bring Amy there.She really is incredible. There really is very limited facilities by the factory. There are tons of places in Des Moine. When i went for the beginner class APQS had a discount at one of the hotels. BUT PLEASE DO NOT DO IT JANUARY THRU APRIL 15th!

We could carpool part of the way. Or fly and rent vans. this sounds like fun.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Des Moines would be the better location............more hotels, resturants, quilt shops, malls...........:P Sounds like a great time. May - early September would be good. DM is hosting the AQS Quilt show again 9/28 - 10/? I believe it starts on the 28th. So, the APQS people will all be busy with that.

If someone wants to run with this fabulous idea :) you will need an organizer. Someone local to the area decided upon (like Iowa) who can make all arrangements, keep track of participants, and do all the leg work. It is a daunting task.

First thought--pick a date. Do not throw it open to any one/any time because there will always be someone who cannot make it and voice their disappointment. Pick TWO dates--not around any major quilt shows or the middle of summer. Then ask for who can come and have them vote for one date or the other--unless they can make either. Don't let people who can't come from far away influence your choice of dates. They don't get a vote unless they will actually come on the date they want!!

After a date is decided upon, offer choices for accommodations and finalize a meeting space--this will probably entail some expense so be ready to be a treasurer as well!

Sounds like a lot of work, huh? Take it from an ex-caterer and one who has organized quite a few get-togethers, it is a chore only for the well-organized who has lots of free time--which isn't me any more!

My advice for an APQS "rally" is to build one around a quilt show like MQS or MQX--pick an evening after the show and classes for a great gathering. We do it during Innovations at a local restaurant so everyone pays for their own meal and there is no charge for a meeting room.

Hope I didn't squash your hopes for a gathering--it's a lot of work and needs a "quilt queen" to step forward and run with it!

And after all is arranged there should be a million-gazillion emails to my DH saying he sould bring me! Otherwise I will have to just hear about it. Oh, and since this would hit the world-wide news and give APQS sooooo much advertising they should give us all a small token of their appreciation, like a free class or something!:D

If I lived closer to Des Moines, I would love to organize this. In my former life, pre-divorce, I used to be quite the little organizer. I was also 15 years younger! My what age does to a person!

I just looked up when and where MQS and MQX are. MQS is May 11-14 in Overland Park, Kansas. MQX east is April 11-16 in Providence, RI and MQX west is October 11-15 in Portland, Oregon. I am going to try my hardest to make it to Kansas in May. I hope to meet many of you there. Anything else, be it in Des Moines or whatever, will just be an added bonus. There are so many of you that I would love to meet! ((((HUGS)))) to all!

OK, I am a novice at these things.............what is MQS, MQX.......

I do live closer to Des Moines, but will pass on organizing this. Sorry !

Since the Des Moines quilt show isn't as big as some of the others, probably a lot of you outside the midwest don't come. There are so many other nice shows around the country in your areas.

Sorry Linda, I thought I was the only one that didn't know. Machine Quilters Showcase (MQS) and Machine quilters Exposition (MQX). Lots of classes and venders. Never been, but I want to go to KC in May. I'm just hoping it's not that nice out and we can't take the Harley. He'd do that just to curb my spending. I'm sure they'd ship if I asked nicely>;)

I will be attending MQS in May and would love to get together with others from this forum. I think a pilgramage to Iowa sounds like a lot of fun. The Harley factory opened their doors one year and were overwhelmed with the customers who attended. APQS may not be prepared for the attendance they would receive.

Sylvia, if your husband won't bring you we can carpool. That would be a road trip we would be talking about for a long time. Can you imagine how many quilt shops there are between here and there!

Dana

Linda - your always the voice of reason & responsibility to us. It would be a huge job and not to be taken lightly. It does sound like fun, but I don't know anyone with that kind of time in this day and age except for a event planner and I doubt that APQS has one on staff! So we can only dream......sigh:(

I am so glad someone finally told what MQX was. I would love to do the get together in DesMoines if it comes about. I live to far away to organize it but I would definitely love to come and meet all of the great people from the forum that I have been reading for the past several months. But as others have said it would be a lot of work that most of us do not have the time for in this day and age so we will all just dream about it. But it is a very nice dream.

I'm just thinking here -- in no way am I volunteering to organize this. Just don't have the time or energy. Anyway, I think it definitely would need some classes or demos (Dawn???) offered at the Des Moines showroom, perhaps a bus tour or caravan on another day to ferry us all to Carroll (about 1 hour 45 minute drive from Des Moines) and a few quilt shops in and around Des Moines. Maybe a catered dinner/open house at the showroom so we could all play on the machines, Bliss, Glide and the new wheels. Of course, we would each bear our share of the cost of all this.

I would be more than happy to have a few people stay and my house and offer taxis service.

Are there any other members who live in or near enough to Des Moines who could do this?

I could help organize, but I'd want to be working with someone else. I do family reunions (sometimes as many as 80 people) and have catered a bit, so I'd be glad to work with someone else, but I'm not sure I want to be the only responsible person. I live about an hour from DSM.

Hi All!

Just spoke with Dawn about the Serious Get Together and she suggested if we decide to go forward that Mid August would be great timing as Claudia Pfeil is planning to be teaching at the showroom during that time. The Apqs corporate rate is $57 a night so certainly affordable and next door to a good restaurant. Dawn mentioned that there are about 6 quilt shops that would be great for a hop! Also, the factory is only about 90 miles if we wanted to do a tour, carpool or rent a van perhaps. We could certainly arrange for a dinner if we wished as I'm sure Des Moines has great restaurants or maybe catered at the show room.

I don't know if this is the kind of get together everyone was thinking of but I would love to get some feedback!

How far is that to drive from Vermont? Drove to Columbus, OH last summer for DH's 50th HS Reunion. Looks like twice the distance at least.........but mid/late August would be good. DD has just decided she needs the fall 1/4 to complete her degree instead of graduating this June so we'll be making that drive down to Savannah 2 more times yet! School starts 2nd week of September.

Hmm...maybe it would be cheaper to fly to Des Moines & come without him. I would love to come if I can make it work.

Archived