Does anyone here only use their longarm as a hobby?

During one my my guild's craft days recently, I overhead one of the members talking to another person about her longarm business and that "...we have so many longarmer quilters here in our area that having more longarm quilters would not be a wise business choice..." or something to that effect (referring to the other person buying a LA).

I don't have my Millennium yet, and my future long-term "business" plans are still a little fuzzy. We do have quite a few longarm quilters in my area (mostly Gammill w/o SR). I have a general idea for my "business" for me to start out. Pretty much for the first year or two, I want to only do quilting just for me, friends, quilts on consignment, my family, and for local charity and to practice, practice, practice and get my skills built up. During these first couple of years, I was also thinking of making some small wallhanging sized quilts (Alaskan wildlife/scene type motif) to sell on consignment at some of our local bed/breakfast or gift shops here in the Fairbanks/North Pole Alaska area where I live. I know an owner of a local B&B and she said that tourists will easily throw down $80-$100 for a small quilted wallhanging (30"x30" or maybe a little bigger) as an Alaska souvenier they can fold up and take home in their luggage. So that got me thinking of ideas to start out small.

Does anyone here only use their longarm as a hobby? I am saving up my pennies to buy a Millie some time next year. I have to admit that because of the guild member's comment about "adding another longarm quilter" has made me feel a little guilty and discouraged...... :(

Shana

Shana , I bought my Millennium just this year in June . She is so pretty ;). Anyway yes there are alot of LA'ers out here also . I live in a very low economy town . Where what you can get paid for machine quilting is most likely half or even less then that for what others just inland a couple of hours get paid :(. So the way I look it is, it was a very expensive toy but I will be able to quilt my own and some friends quilts as well will get paid for those .

My business goal is to have 80 repeat clients within three yrs .If that happens great , the saying I heard was find something you like to do then find a way to get paid for it , I am just happy to have my Milli "sweet dreams " so does that make me crazy or what:P ? Will it be a hobby or a business ? Only time will tell ..:D

I bought my Millie and CompuQuilter last year and I have no intention of quilting as a business for quite some time. I already own several businesses and I find quilting relaxing and enjoyable and presently I do my own quilts and an occasional gift. If I decide down the road to quilt as a business, I will do it, but right now this is strictly as a hobby for me and my enjoyment. When I purchased my machine, I thought I would rent time on it to a friend, but she only did that a few times - I think she found it was harder than she thought and also took longer than expected (everyone thinks you can whip out a king-sized quilt in an hour or so - NOT TRUE). I actually like not having to plan my quilting around anyone else using my Millie because it always seemed that just as I would put a large quilt on the frame, my friend would call and ask if she could bring her quilt over to finish it - always a rush for someone else.

We also have lots of longarmers in the Phoenix area and more are coming all the time. I haven't looked into what kind of volume I would get if I turned this into a business, but I am enjoying quilting for me and that is just the way I like it!

Shana,

I bought my LA just a little over a year ago and bought it for myself and charity work. There are quite a lot of la's in this general area and seems to me that more ladies are buying the short arms.

I never bought my machine for a business. I do about 50 charity quilts a year and love that I can do quilts for myself and charity. It would be difficult in this area to make a living at quilting.

I get to enjoy myself,

Char

Shana,

First off welcome I didn't do that last week when you first popped on.

Secondly, when people tell other people what you over heard is for the general purpose that they are the ones that are scared of loosing business, or someone close to them, and if they can scare enough people away then the compatition isn't as high and they don't have to work so hard.

With that said....never let anyone stomp on your dream, if you have a game plan and it works for you then go for it...never let anyone scare you off. Your plan is very reasonable and realistic, your game plan for doing things for the B&B is a great idea, and you may find that is enough to not only keep you busy, but justifiable in the cost of the machine. But I think your B&B friend is a bit off in her suggested prices....its more like $100 to $400 depending on the size of the quilt...some twin size quilts in my area are snapped up by the NYC people and they don't even blink an eye and drop $400...and they are the same people who are going to Alaska on Vacation....so don't be shy.

I quilted for a quilting store in Nevada for over 6 years, but have since moved to the east coast. I too haven't gotten really set up to do anything more than my own stuff...and am working towards my new website and getting things set up in the studio. It helps that everything is paid for and I don't have to hurry and stress over how much time I take to get back up and running, but when the time is right I can do just that and be happy.

Don't let anyone rain on your parade....live your life to the fullest and if that includes a longarm quilting machine....then by gees you get one. Onward and upward from here.

Shana,

You have a surplus of long-armers at the NORTH POLE! Holy cow, if I had heard that from someone else, I wouldn't have believed it. I own a Liberty. It was a 25th wedding aniversary gift from my husband. I may eventually go into business but I don't have the time now. I already have a full-time job. You go girl, get that Millie and quilt up a snow storm.

Colleen

Shana, I got a Freedom model from my husband (with no frills!) because he told the APQS rep. that I was only going to quilt for myself! If I get very good I may choose to quilt for someone else, but I really enjoy just quilting for myself and learning more about quilting as I go! I did quilt a "charity" quilt, but when receiving this "soldiers" quilt realized after ripping all stitching out because of tension problems, that I was not ready to practice on anything for someone else! Also, I decided to use only one kind of thread so I could set the tension just one time and work on the other aspects of long arm quilting that I may have trouble with! Elaine

Shana,

I bought my first mid-arm because I didn't want to be a topper only. I wanted to complete my own pieces. I've since graduated to a Millie and love it. I quilt for myself, charity and women in my 'group'. I make an occasional quilt for friends and get 'paid'. I'm lucky to be retired and especially lucky to be able to continue quilting as a hobby. Just enjoy! Whatever happens, you can go at your own speed. It's sew much fun!

Sharon

Like Linda, I need to pay off my machine, so I quilt for business. I am envious of quilts I see people on this site make for themselves...I don't have time for that. I made a quilt for my DH last year for his birthday and I am thinking I will need to send it out for quilting:) I also work part-time and try to keep up with my DH. Anyway, I had a new customer drop off a quilt because she seen one of my customer quilts in a quilt show. The next day she wanted her top back because she decided to buy a machine for her own personal use. She test drove the machine at the same quilt show:mad: I didn't want to give it back but knew I had to. I am surprised at the number of quilters there are out there that just have a machine for their own quilts. Amazing. I am too poor for that.

I bought my Millenium in February to use for myself but now I like it so much and I can't make tops fast enough to be able to use it all the time...so I probably will try to quilt for others as well....my youngest goes to college in 3 years so I hope to have something going strong by then so I don't go nuts missing the kids like crazy. I am a stay at home mom so I don't have another job to focus on....

I think if you are good at it you will have customers no matter how many other LA'ers are out there. Go for it and don't listen to anyone but yourself;)

I bought my Millennium just for me with my Face Lift savings (that's true). My husband thinks I should make it a business so the cost of the machine can be deducted. Therefore, I am making quilts that will be FOR SALE in our other business (medical equipment store) if anyone cares to buy them. That's about as far as I'm willing to go right now. To HAVE to make money with it, takes the pleasure out of my hobby. My husband has a lot more expensive toys than my Millie. A bulldozer, for one.

Hugs, Joy

Shana as several others have already said...................I only wish I could just quilt my own stuff and mabye for a few friends.

Nope I do not have that luxery. I need to pay off this puppy first! I have quilted 59 quilts (I only got the machine last Feb) and only 3 of those were for me. I have a pile of tops of my own that never seem to have time for me to quilt.

I have found that the local ladies at my guild have discovered me and they are starting to bring me more and more stuff. Origionaly I had planned on getting most of my business from out of state so I would not have to compete with the locals but seems that whenever there is a show and tell with one I have quilted that there are rave reviews.

My dream is to be able to work on my own stuff. I love useing my longarm and am learing new stuff every time I use it so guess once I do have time for me I will be ready to make a few masterpieces.................at least that is the plan.

My husband bought me a Milli for my birthday last fall and I have quilted for my mother, mother-in-law and for myself. It is a lot of fun and very relaxing. I am lucky that I don't have to quilt for others, but wouldn't mind doing it occasionally. I haven't tried to get customers yet and am not in a great rush. I am still learning how to adjust thread tension and am free to try new things on my own quilts that I would be afraid to on someone else's at this point. Just enjoy and don't worry about what others say. If it is your dream to own a Milli ... go for it!:)

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

During one my my guild's craft days recently, I overhead one of the members talking to another person about her longarm business and that "...we have so many longarmer quilters here in our area that having more longarm quilters would not be a wise business choice..." or something to that effect (referring to the other person buying a LA).

I don't have my Millennium yet, and my future long-term "business" plans are still a little fuzzy. We do have quite a few longarm quilters in my area (mostly Gammill w/o SR). I have a general idea for my "business" for me to start out. Pretty much for the first year or two, I want to only do quilting just for me, friends, quilts on consignment, my family, and for local charity and to practice, practice, practice and get my skills built up. During these first couple of years, I was also thinking of making some small wallhanging sized quilts (Alaskan wildlife/scene type motif) to sell on consignment at some of our local bed/breakfast or gift shops here in the Fairbanks/North Pole Alaska area where I live. I know an owner of a local B&B and she said that tourists will easily throw down $80-$100 for a small quilted wallhanging (30"x30" or maybe a little bigger) as an Alaska souvenier they can fold up and take home in their luggage. So that got me thinking of ideas to start out small.

Does anyone here only use their longarm as a hobby? I am saving up my pennies to buy a Millie some time next year. I have to admit that because of the guild member's comment about "adding another longarm quilter" has made me feel a little guilty and discouraged...... :(

Shana

I got my machine last March and thought it would be a breeze to learn to use. I had 3 quilt tops at the quilter and kindly asked if I could get them back because I wanted to quilt them myself. Looking back, this was really, really rude and I wouldn't do it now for anything. She was a sweetheart and returned them, wished me the very best with my machine. She even helped me with lots of questions and loaned me books to read. Well, two of those quilt tops are still waiting to be quilted at my house! People just don't realize how long it takes to learn to use these machines and how long it takes to quilt a top. Most think it can be done in a few hours, what an awakening I had. We have lots of long-armers in my area (southern Iowa), but it seems they are all very busy. If you are good, they will come. Don't listen to the naysayers - just do it. If you don't you will always wish that you had. Life is to be lived only once - realize your dream Shana! The best to you.

I, too, just purchased a mille this past spring, and at the moment have no intention of getting into business......I'm still involved in our own business so don't have the time anyway. I love piecing and patchwork, and always have a few things on the go....but the finishing was a problem and I was ending up with many unfinished tops. I just want to enjoy doing my own stuff ( which I am now) and maybe some charity and possibly selling some things I've made.

Cheryl

Edmonton, Alberta

Hi Shana. Welcome to this site, I am a newbee also. Just received my Mille last weekend, but am painting and redoing the floor first, so she is not set up yet. Can't wait though! :D Am leaving this afternoon to head down to Innovations so all the "reno work" by my DH may be done by the time I get back. Can only wish.

Sounds like we have similar goals in mind. Don't let anyone rain on your parade. I also do not plan on quilting for anyone else, have been approached by a B&B owner, and look forward to selling more of my quilts now that I can do my own. It has been my experience that quilt guilds do not like to see anyone "on their own", they like to have a say in what you do. Don't worry, you do not need their permission to be happy.

Best of Luck,

Janet

Williams Lake, B.C.

Hi Shana

You're almost my neighbor, just a bit weat of me. I'm in the Northwest Territories, Canada and I bought my machine just for me, to do my own work.

As soon as I got it I had friends wanting me to do quilts for them, so I stippled a baby quilt...turns out she didn't want it stippled but she hadn't told me that up front. Then I did another one for the same lady and ended up tearing a small hole thru all 3 layers, which I completely fixed by replacing the fabric on the top layer and mended the backing. So I did two quilts and had a bad experience with both of them. I never intended to quilt for customers or to make a business of it, even tho I do want to become very good as using the machine. I want to quilt my own tops and I've dozens of them. ;o)

So if you buy the machine just for you, don't feel guilty about it. Sometimes we deserve a treat for ourselves. My hubby has a boat, a workshop with every carpenter tool known to man....so my machine is my luxury. :)

Rita

I agree with Rita. Men shouldn't be the only ones to have expensive toys. My husband has 2 motorcycles, a dune buggy he just spent $900 adding chrome to and a riding lawn mower he says is mine because we happened to buy it on my birthday. He did have 2 pickups, but I made him sell one. Too much going out for insuring vehicles. Also a garage full of power tools. I do quilt for others but don't stay busy year round, mostly fall to end of spring. Then I have time to do my own stuff. Good luck with your new machine.

Dear friends.

Wow! Thank you so much for all of your replies! I couldn't help but smile and my heart is warmed by reading all of your wonderful, supportive comments.

Calicoquilter: Just wanted to clarify on where I live. I don't live in the "geographic" North Pole, I live in the town of North Pole, Alaska which is located about 10 miles south of Fairbanks and has a population around 85,000. We have a Santa Claus House (gift shop) and everything, even some reindeer! :) I've seen Santa and Mrs. Claus there almost every time I visit. One time I saw him there he was wearing his baseball cap, suspenders and tool belt (must have just gotten done working in the toy shop...) ;)

I'm not exactly sure, but I heard there are about 20 people in my general area that have longarms but of those 20, maybe 8-10 or so do it for a steady quilting busines. The others just use their longarms for themselves (hobby). That's not counting the greater Anchorage area (population 350,000+) so more quilt shops and longarmers down there! Quilting is a big business in Alaska. :) My general Fairbanks area has three quilt shops that include a Bernina dealer and a Pfaff dealer.

Anyway, thanks again. You all are just so wonderful. (((HUGS)))

Happy quilting!

Shana

Five years ago I bought my longarm instead of buying a new car. I was still teaching and hardly had time for the machine. I have been retired now for a year. I am still driving that same car, enjoying the quilting way more than I could enjoy a car.

I do not have a business, but do on occasion quilt for others. I think that it is true that having a business would help you to improve your quilting much more quickly than just quilting as a hobby will. But taking in charity quilts helps there, too.

I may have a business in the future, but after my teaching career I am happy to be taking it one day at a time. I might like enough business to help pay for my fabric habit. :-) I especially enjoy making baby quilts, and something like that might be fun to develop.

Follow your dreams, Shana.

Archived