Sleeping during Pantos

Boy, I have been quilting this king size quilt and doing a panto on it. I'm on my 3 row, and I am literally, falling alseep. It's so boring. I'm so far from finish and don't know how to stay awake. My girlfriend needs it finished and bias sewn on by Friday night. Has anyone ever had this falling asleep thing during panto quilting? Any suggestions on how to make it more exciting and help me stay awake! LOL! God, help me. I should have done free motion but it's too late to turn back now.:(

This is so funny that you posted this because it happened to me last week on a panto, too! I just had to keep taking small breaks and moving my body around to keep from falling asleep. I think I must get in a trance or something when doing pantos to cause this sleepiness. Good luck to you.

That's it!! I am literally falling asleep now. I am starting to see double and my vision is blurring. I better stop before I end up double quilting an area, then have to pull out the seam ripper. And that would be a BIGGER bummer! I think I will take a break and go to a Kick Boxing class. Maybe it'll kick up my endorphins and I'll be roaring to go again. It's like there's no end.

Guest Linda S

Oh MAN! You gals need to learn the proper way to do pantos!! You CRANK the tunes and dance your way down the table. Nothin' boring about it, and it's good for you too!

I agree with the other music helps! I also listen to the TV. I find a program that I don't have to actually watch. Most of the time my days are so hectic that doing a boring panto is just what I need. It doesn't require me to think too hard or to solve too many problems but it is harder when it is a king size quilt. That is a lot of space to cover!

LOL! I too have fallen asleep doing a panto. Just like yours Hitomi it was big, boring and very early in the morning. May I suggest caffeinated beverages and an ipod loaded with books and podcasts? One of my favorite podcasts is "Craftypod". You can download it for free from Itunes. Very interesting and eye opening if you'll pardon the pun.

Guest Linda S

Believe me - once you have done more than your fair share of custom quilting, you will rejoice in each and every panto you get to do! K'Ching! You're making fast and easy money and there's nothing boring about that. Putting the same motif in each and every block of a 25 block quilt is BORING. Plus you're getting your neck and shoulders all knotted up. Enjoy those pantos while you can. I love each and every one I've ever done and say, "Bring 'em on!" As a matter of fact, I've just begun to advertise "economy" quilting. I'll do quilts for .01/inch if they let me use one of three designs on their quilt -- Baptist Fans, Spirals, or Clamshells. For each of these I have the Circle Lord board and I can whip through a quilt in no time. Make $100 in about four hours. Now that's my kind of income. Nothing to sneeze at. Learn to love it and make it fun while you can.

Yep - very loud music! I have only done ONE panto at my place - I just couldn't talk this lady out of it - because I dislike them SO much! I still think they are very boring.... would much rather do custom.... will do overall freehand anything over a panto. Just my preference.:cool:

Originally posted by Judi

Yep - very loud music! I have only done ONE panto at my place - I just couldn't talk this lady out of it - because I dislike them SO much! I still think they are very boring.... would much rather do custom.... will do overall freehand anything over a panto. Just my preference.:cool:

We are in the same boat, Judi!

I sold all my pantos except two, which I use for classes.

Give me an overall any day.;)

Guest Linda S

LOL - I think it comes down to the right-brained/left-brained folks. I can follow any line you give me, be it a panto or stencil line. I seem also to be able to thread paint to a certain extent on picture or landscape quilts. Ask me to do an all-over on your quilt in my own freehand style, and it just does not exist. Give me a blank piece of fabric to quilt on and my brain panics as to what goes where. I cannot easily place a flower here, a vine between, and a leaf over here. I have practiced till my eyes bug out of my head. I have all of Nichole Webb's DVDs and watch them in amazement, but I cannot, for the life of me, freehand a lovely design. I just does not work that way. So, if you don't like pantos, don't do them. They are there for us folks who must have everything already laid out for us. We love them!!!

Jane gets those stories that are narrated of books she likes from the library. If you get an interesting one it keeps you going!! Watch those detective ones though--too much sex and killing for me--LOL I made her turn one off once or we'd never have gotten anything done! Dave

Guest Linda S

Uh-oh Dave! Were you leaning towards the sex or the murder? :o I often listen to books while I'm quilting too. I did a custom quilt last year that lasted through an entire unabridged edition of Anna Karenina! Plus two other short mystery novels by Kate Wilhelm. I always remember which book I was listening to on each quilt.

Linda, I am with you...I am just in awe of what some of you gals do with custom quilting and freehand, but I need a line to follow, I just do. I would still like to do some custom and I was looking on Urban Elements the other day and they have neat pantos with coordinating block patterns and sashing patterns. I thought I might give that a try one of these days. It would help me to get past the not being able to decide what design to put where problem I have.

My LQS has a booming long arm business and she at times gets overrun with quilts. She does a lot of custom and it works for me, cuz she sends me e2e business when she is booked way too far ahead. It works well for both of us.

Archived