Empty nest

Well we are empty nesters. Have been for a few months now, You know what? I HATE IT!!!:mad:

Friends have told me it will get better but I find it hard to belive!! I MISS MY KIDS!!! I don't think it will get better but I do think I will adjust to it!

One thing I want to do is dive back into quilt shows-If your guild is having a show please let me know. I LOVE doing the shows but have fallen out of the show loop the past couple of years as we were kept so busy with the college "stuff".

Thanks

It will get better! My whole life revolved around our kids and their activities and when that was over and they moved on with their lives, that's when I got into quilting big time. I am thoroughly enjoying MY time now and then also look forward to the kids' visits. (It's also nice when they go back to their own homes now) haha

I know how you feel! I've been and empty nester for many years now and I'm still not used to it. At least I had Maddie to fill in a little. You do adjust and you so cherish the time with your kids when they are around. I love to see them growing into responsible adults and son called last week to find nobody home. He tried our cells and no answer. By the time he got in touch with hubby he was a wreak! LOL Yup he is a daddy now. Hang in there.

Letting go and accepting the change in relationship that comes with kids turning into adults is not easy. My sons and their wives and children all live within a 20-30 minute drive but they are so busy we don't see each other as often as I'd like, but I feel blessed to have them so close. I think it's OK to miss the sweet days when everyone lived under one roof, but look for what God has for you now and don't waste today spending too much time missing yesterday. Enjoy your new season of life.

When my kids left my husband and I had to move into a different house. We had such a fun and happy family that I went into a deep depression and without thinking, I'd hear one of them call me or hear one coming down the stairs. I was tormented. We moved about a block away into a completely different type house and I threw myself into quilting. Now I have 2 wonderful in-law children and a beautiful granddaughter. Now when they come I enjoy them but am glad when they go. You will find that day but it may be awhile!!!!

When all my kids had gone the house was very empty, but sometimes they don't stay gone:D My two sons 36 and 38 years are back. The 36 year old has been back over 5 years, I don't see him going anywhere soon especially since he owns a half share of the house. Sometimes I would like a little peace and quiet, especially when the eldest want to play his drums. Thankfully we all get along most of the time, and I do get to see lots of my Darling Granddaughter.

When my youngest graduated from high school I wasn't ready to graduate with him. I stayed on for a year longer volunteering and also worked at school for two years. By the end of that time I had their school years out of my system!

I am constantly amazed by their interests and achievements. They have certainly grown since they left home and gone out into the world. We enjoy their visits when they are able to stop by.

Whenever I hear the song "The Cats in the Cradle" it makes me smile, it is so true.

Sue

We also became empty nesters this Fall as the last daughter went off to college. She and her sisters are having a great time with their new lives. So while we are happy for them, yes, we do miss them, especially me since I stay at home and my husband travels through out the week.

It has taken some getting used to but I prepared for it and now am starting to quilt for others. However, I sure do miss having a daughter home even for a late dinner and talk. But I am getting used to it and enjoying my freedom to have a girlfriend over for dinner or meet them somewhere or ignore dinner in favor of quilting. Husband notices the quieter house on the weekends and then gets a gleam in his eye........

I am looking forward to 2 of my daughters being home next weekend, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas then I am sunk and may not see them again till late Spring. YUK! So hang in there...., dive into your passion and join another guild and have more new friends.

I started quilting in the last year my children were at home before my son moved away to University and my daughter moved in with her fiancee.

I used to shed a tear when my son went back to Uni after each break but then I bought a business, employed my daughter and started doing a lot more quilting.

They both used the revolving door for six more years until WE moved interstate. It is great to have them visit, better to visit them, but my husband and I both enjoy the peace of our own home.

It will take time to adjust, but keep yourself busy in the meantime.

Lyn

My two sons are still in high school and of course living at home but I miss my two daughters. They have both moved out and going to college for the past couple of years. The boys are great but gone helping their dad most of the time on the farm and they just aren't the same as having the girls around. The girls set my computer up with skype a few weeks ago as the one daughter's cell phone doesn't have any reception in her college dorm room. I love it when my computer rings!! I actually get to see their faces while we visit:)

We became empty nesters a few months back. It's an adjustment, more for me than my husband I think. I still cook alot when they are going to come over and send them home with lots of food. Then make plans to visit them and bring lots of precooked meals and desserts. Just can't help myself. I'm lucky - they still live close enough to visit. My best friend's kids are out of state and that is very difficult for her. Count my blessings all the time. But yes, I miss them every day - lonely around here when DH is at work even though I do like my peace and quiet.

Just returned from a week of babysitting twin 20 mo. granddaughters, saw this post , had to comment. Like you, I really, really , really miss my children. I had five, lost the middle one as an infant, and really liked being a mom. Sometimes I worked, sometimes I was at home. They were spaced a total of almost 10 years from first to last, so they were home quite awhile, Now, we live in GA, have one here, one in north NC, one in WY, and last is an airman, currently in TX. What I miss more than them being home is them being close enough to go see.....I try to keep really busy, I try to talk on phone, but sometimes it is hard. I have 5 grandbabies, (and another due in Mar!) so have decided to be the nana who loves to garden with all her flowers, cook and bake, and sew quilts, dresses (all but one are girls) knit, and make dolly clothes and bows (they like their bows in the south....) For me, I could wish that all the geography would somehow work out so that I could drive only 4-5 hours and reach each one of them.

I have many friends who struggle with this. Change seems to get harder sometimes but I know that all of us with family are so blessed . Pat :)

It is funny what can "set me off" I pulled out the broiling pan & just started crying cuz I realized that I did not need the big pan any more!:(

I do better when we text (everyday) but when we are on the phone my heart aches as the sound of thier voice made me miss them more!:(:(:(:(:(

It can and will get easier as the time goes on. Speaking as a mom of 5 with one on the east coast (3 grands) and one on the west coast (1 grand). After a while you fill your days with things you like and make plans to see them when the schedules mesh. May God bless you with peace in this process of growth.

My husband and I must be terrible parents because we love being empty nesters:P My daughter and I work in the same law firm so we see each other every day. My son lives across town and is really busy with school, work and his little family so we don't see him as often as I would like, but he is doing so well with life that it's okay. We see my step-daughter once a week and my step-son lives three hours away and we see him every few months. We keep really busy and enjoy the time with just the two of us.

Archived