piecing thread

hi everyone...

well, i'm on my last cone of masterpiece so it's time to buy some piecing thread.

and i'm wondering, should i buy some more masterpiece, or should i start using a more LA friendly thread? after all, why not use something that can have a dual use?

bottom line?

sofine?

something else, but try to stick with superior threads. i am a creature of habit.

your thoughts????

as always, i appreciate so much all of your expert advice.

;)

Originally posted by sandradarlington

I was using Masterpiece, but my new Bernina 635 hates it. I can only stitch about 6 inches before another thread break. If I use Gutermann, it sews like a charm. It also won't stitch with So Fine, but it loves King Tut. Go figure.

I've noticed the exact same thing with my Bernina. Hunh. That's worth remembering...

Meg,

I'm a Superior Threads fan, too. Since Sew Fine is 50 wt., it looks like it would work fine for piecing. I wouldn't use Bottom Line for regular piecing, because it is 60 wt. and your seams will turn out a different width. I was into miniature quilts for awhile, and Sally Collins recommended the 60 wt, because the thread is skinnier, but you wouldn't want that with regular piecing.

I have had Nina (my Bernina) for 20 years. I was told to only use Gutermann thread when I bought it, which I did for years and had no issues ---- if I wavered she would let me know she did not like any other thread.

After getting my Superior Thread account (and Millie) I have tried masterpiece and so fine in the top and Nina HATES it, but she is fine with bottom line in the bobbin. So then I took a gamble and tried Aurfil and she LOVES it.

So Aurifil in the top, bottom line prefilleds in the bobbin (something else they told me to NEVER do) and I am a happy girl (and so is Nina).

Nina just put the binding on 7 quilts in the last 3 days and did not give me any issues until about 10pm last night when she coughed up a fur ball (warm and natural batting fuzz)....once she got that out of her system she was purring along nicely again.

However, she definately is in need of a spa day (but so is Eliza Jane -- the Mille after quilting all 7 in the last week -- Poor Eliza grew a beard on her hopping foot Sunday I quilted so much -- she does not look good all that fuzz on her hopping foot).

We are no longer fans of warm and natural in our house....too much lint!!!

i have a bernina 440 that i piece with and i rarely have any issues using different threads. i do, however, always use the same thread top and bobbin for piecing. i was told this when i got my machines. i have experienced OCCASIONAL thread breakage when using masterpiece, especially when chain piecing and ending with the needle down. maybe berninas don't like masterpiece.

i think i will experiment with sofine and bottom line before i buy anything else.

on an NQR note: i can relate to eliza jane as i, too, have recently started growing a beard!!!

:D:P:D:P:D:mad::mad::mad::mad::D:P:D:P:D:P:D:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I like a thinner thread like So Fine for piecing. I use the Super Bob prewound bobbins. I tried using up some King Tut I had because my Millie hates it..............my Janome 6600 didn't like it either. Tension was awful. I've also used the Coats & Clarks 1200 yard spools from JoAnns or the ones from Connecting Threads. I had a sample cone of the So Fine #50 and have been using that. I mostly use neutral colors...........cream, taupe, white for piecing. Cream & Taupe the most.

Meg & ecmoore, My Bernina 440 and before that my Bernina (humm, I can't remember the number - I think it was a 153) both loved Masterpiece, so I assumed the 635 would, too. I've had it adjusted several times, but it hasn't solved the problem with Masterpiece. I just use it now in my Babylock or my Brother.

Guest Linda S

While I know we longarmers know that poly won't cut your quilt, I generally don't trust it for piecing. True, it is nice and strong, but I do fear that strong (sometimes sharp) thread in a seam with stress on it is not a good thing. I generally use Masterpiece or Aurifil for piecing. The 50wt cotton is nice for getting seams to lie flat and not adding much to the bulk. I do a lot of stars and pinwheels in my quilts, so it's nice to have something thinner in those points.

Guest Linda S

I forgot to say that I don't use my piecing thread for quilting. When Masterpiece first came out, Bob told us that it's too thin for the longarm. Granted, I've used it for practice and I can run it fine, but I don't trust it to hold up in my quilts as a quilting thread, only for piecing.

Archived