southern indiana update

Everyone in our immediate families are safe. We have not been able to make contact with cousins in Henryville yet. The entire area is like a war zone. You can only get to our area if you have proof you live here. National guards are blocking the roads to the hardest hit areas.

Now for the tough news..... An older couple, their granddaughter and her child were in their home when it hit in Chelsea (about 8 miles from us) they found them all in a field. All are dead except the young mother, she is in critical condition. These were all people we knew. My sil used to baby sit for the young mother.

We are so blessed but our hearts are breaking for those that were not as lucky. We are waiting fearfully to hear the names of the others that have died. When you live in small communities you know most everyone.

We do not have elec or phones so I don't know when I will be able to update again. We are at a restaurant with wifi away from the damage.

Thanks for the prayers and please keep them up for those that were hit so hard.

Cheri,

After watching the news on TV, I'm surprised anyone survived. They keep showing the devastation near you and I was afraid you would have bad news. Thankfully your family is safe. I hope you'll be able to hear from your cousins soon.

Cheri so glad you and family are all okay, my town was devestated on Wednesday morning by a F3 tornado in Ridgway IL (southern Illinois). Thankfully no one was killed. You see pictures of things like this on TV but until you see it in person you can"t imagine it. Our church was totally destroyed but the alter was left untouched. My prayers are with everyone who has been affected by the tornados.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in the disaster areas. I watched the TODAY program this morning and saw the devestation. I turned to my husband and said "not only do they not have any power but the reporter is standing in front of homes/towns that are totally gone and it is snowing!!" These people have no way to heat anything. OK generators will work but you have to get enough of them to the area.

I am an EMT and Firefighter and have helped in area communities that have had horrible flooding and last summer we had a tornado hit just outside a neighboring small town. Always this has been during the summer months when we did not need to worry about heating. Yes, in Minnesota we have had our share of ice storms which knock out power in the cold months so I know it can be dealt with but the ice storms do not cause such destruction.

I know that these damaged communities will pull together with help from surrounding areas and will become stronger because of it...but it is such hard work both physically and emotionally.

My heart breaks for the families that have lost loved ones.

Archived