What's Your Return on Investment for Quilting? Here's mine...

Below is an unexpected hand written thank-you note that I recieved in my PO box earlier this week ...from American Red Cross of Alaska.

This is one of the main reasons I quilt, and why quilting makes me so happy...

I work a full time job outside of the home, and I manage to juggle my spare time to maintain my quilting business / customer quilts on evenings and on the weekends. And in between, I some how find the time to make a priority to quilt as many charity quilts as I can for my community. I cannot count how many charity and fundraiser quilts I have done... I've never kept track but I'd say at least 3 a month!! But it's so rewarding. And here is why I feel I am so blessed in many ways... Making money is not everything... giving and donating my time to my community is my real reward: an unexpected thank you note from a local charity organization:

======

Dear Shana,

I wanted to thank you for the beautiful quilting on the quilt we just received. The quilts we receive are so important and appreciated by the families who receive them. A house fire is so devastating and when a beautiful quilt is given to them, there is hope that everything will be okay!

Thank you,

Michell Daku, District Director, Red Cross of Alaska

Guest Linda S

This is very true Shana. I do quilting more because I love it than for the money I will make at it. Quite frankly, I don't make a whole heck of a lot quilting. I don't have a high-volume business, and what business I have is mostly custom. I really don't make a lot an hour for all the work I put in. I've done a lot of guild comfort quilts, some quilts of valor, I'm doing quilts for the local NICU, and I just quilted a king-sized log cabin with no charge for the woman who started the local NICU charity. She is a nurse who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and is trying to finish her own quilts for friends and family before she passes. I figured she deserved something nice in exchange for all the work she has done for our community.

You are a sweet and caring woman, my friend! Love you so much!!

My return on investment? Tears. Yep, tears! The tears you see in a woman's eyes when the quilt you helped finish for her first grandchild is everything she could hope for. The tears from laughing so hard when you are with "that group" of longarmers and the jokes and teasing are flying. The tears you get in your eyes when you finish a fabulous quilt, hang it up, and think "not bad" to yourself. The tears that come when a donations quilt at guild is appreciated by a family in some grave need. I love my job!

:) Linda says it so well !!!

Originally posted by ffq-lar

You are a sweet and caring woman, my friend! Love you so much!!

My return on investment? Tears. Yep, tears! The tears you see in a woman's eyes when the quilt you helped finish for her first grandchild is everything she could hope for. The tears from laughing so hard when you are with "that group" of longarmers and the jokes and teasing are flying. The tears you get in your eyes when you finish a fabulous quilt, hang it up, and think "not bad" to yourself. The tears that come when a donations quilt at guild is appreciated by a family in some grave need. I love my job!

The thing is I have no idea how this gal knew I quilted the quilt she is referring to. It was most likely donated through my guild... anyway I live in a small (kinda) town and we all seem to know someone that knows someone... :) Anyway, it was a nice surprise to get this note from this person I've never met. I don't know how she got my mailing address. But most likely through the guild.

It's the little things we do that really make a difference. I am glad I can do a small part to make a difference. It feels good in my heart.

Way to go Shana.

I would rather donate the quilting for a quilt that would be given directly to someone who is suffering from an illness or disaster or a soldier than the quilting for a fundraiser. It seems the highest bidder usually has no idea what the quilt is worth and the benefit/group only makes a fraction of the cost of the quilt (even with the quilting donated).

That's such a great note, Shana! It's wonderful that someone took the time to acknowledge your beautiful work and to let you know how much that quilt may mean to someone someday. It's unexpected, but so appreciated.

I experienced a similar note this week, and I'm still floating on air! I quilt for QOV, and I have a tendency to agonize over each one. I try to combine a little custom work with some freehand overall design on each. I want it to be special for the serviceperson who receives it. Anyway, I finished one up last week and returned it to the top maker. This week I received a note saying it was the nicest quilting she'd ever had done on one of her QOV tops. That simple note absolutely made my week, so I can only imagine how you must feel.

That is so great!

Like Linda, I don't have a whole lot of income from quilting. Because we live so far from town, and the gas prices have gone up, I have lost most of my over 100 customers.

I try to make at least 6 quilts for the CPS where our quilt group meets.

The first ones I turned in when I first joined (10 quilts and 18 receiving blankets) went to the Octamom! That was when they were first born.

WTG and a BIG thank you for the time, thought, emotions that is put into the quilts for QoV, a local community service quilt, and Congratulations for the generous works you put into it.

I too quilt for QoV, though having to take a break and regroup right now.

I don't keep any quilts, and give them to the local community service, sometimes I just take them to the Help service I prefer.

I've given to a special school to auction, and quilted the QoV that was featured in the guilds projects and next to the boutique, at our Quilt Show last Oct.

I've also given one to our church school, to be auctioned off.

It is fun, and sometimes exhausting, but I will keep giving as much as I can.

It's the way God would want me to be.

Thanks again,

RitaR

the happiest i ever was giving a quilt to someone:

a friend at work lost thier son to cancer at the age of 11. I went to thier house and gathered up all his t-shirts and made a quilt for them. They loved it so much and said that it was 'all about him' .. We went through about 50 shirts to get it down to 30.

When the Lord gave me the idea, I did't know that the boy was an advid t-shirt collector.

I've never enjoyed a project so much. His 'make a wish' was to be an actor, I found a very cool fabric with stars in it. It turned out PERFECT. as a matter of fact, I didn't have to remove 1 stitch. it went together like nothing I've ever done before!

When I took it to the mom, she immediately went to his room (untouched) and stipped his bed and put it on it and cried.

what can I say except that we as quilters give of our talents and that is what the Lord God has called us to do. Each and every wonderful gift to a known or unknown recipients are gifts as to the Lord and Treasures stored in Heaven. I for one am so proud to be a part of this family of quilters that love so much, give so much, pray so much for each other and anyone in need. Giving and sharing is what it is all about. Love and Prayer to you all.

I know exactly what you mean. I have knitted baby blankets for a women's shelter here where I live. I don't know who gets them, they don't know me, but the fact that it will comfort someone and keep someone warm, makes all the difference in the world to me. I look forward to being able to make quilts for them soon!

I feel I must share this wonderful story, told to me yesterday by a fellow Moxie. She would never tell it herself--caution, tissue alert.

Her quilting group found a need at the local hospitals. One of their members was shopping for clothes for a newborn grandchild and noticed a couple crying as they left the shop. The couple was searching to find an outfit for their stillborn child to be buried in. Nothing in the store was small enough. Her group now makes premie and doll sized outfits and covers--either sewn or crocheted--for these dearly loved babies. When several outfits were delivered to the hospital, one of the two neonatal nurses started crying and explained that they lost a newborn only an hour before. They saw a need and filled it--very gratifying.

(Dear fellow Moxie--you know who you are! You are a constant inspiration to me. When you told me the story, I was so teary I don't think I was able to convey that to you.)

Archived