NQR - Heidi, how is your mom doing?

Thanks Shana I'm hanging in there. Mom got home to our house yesterday. She'll be with us for a week until she can go home alone. She is doing remarkably well for just having open heart surgery. We got a hospital bed and turned hubby's office into a room for her. LOL same one we used for MIL. Hubby's was joking yesterday as we set it up and said yup in a few days she's going to love it here and say she never wants to go home and get rid of her stuff. I said, "not a chance I'll take her home now." LOL She is opposite of MIL though. She hates to be waited on even she needs the help. She was happy to be with her kitty but her kitty was playing hard to get. LOL she didn't like that too much.

So here is a funny for you. I left to go do a quick Walmart run and I'll bet I wasn't gone 10 min. and the phone rings. It is hubby and he wants me to get some gauze for my mother to put on her incision. I said ok. Next my mother calls and she is pretty upset and says one of the chest tube holes "popped open" and she had blood on her bra. I told her her bra probably just rubbed the spot and it would be fine. So I get home and she shows me that hubby got a bandage and put it on for her. LOL Hubby met me at the car and said that he would never be the same. She had a bra on but she held her boobs out of the way while he put a bandage on for her. LOL too funny. He earned extra brownie points I guess. I was telling BIL about it on the phone and told him Mark was up burning his eyes out and my mother says, "What? Why would he do such a thing? I told her it was a joke since he had to see her in her bra. She says, "Well it was an emergency." LOL she does not get jokes! It was at least worth a good laugh!

Heidi,

I hope your Mom gets well soon. How wonderful to still have both moms.

I laughed as I read your scenario and it reminded me of having to take my Dad to the bathroom when in my 30s. My Mom had died when I was 29. I knew I had to help Dad--I was the only one in the house. HOWEVER, it is difficult to "attend" to him without "looking" at him--if you get my drift. Got through it and couldn't wait for my brother to return. I can laugh about it now; at 30-something, I was not amused.

Whatta guy !!!! Bless his heart.............I had a similar experience when Dad was sick with Alzheimers. I was staying with him while Mom got some rest and he wet himself. I told him he needed to change out of his wet clothes and before I could blink he had his pants off standing there naked from the waist down. Oh well !!!! He was like a little kid then and didn't think a thing of it.

lol, funny "nakid" stories! When my sister and I were visiting with Aunt Jo one evening, she toddled off on her walker to put on her nightgown. Oops, she forgot to tell us something so out she comes, down the hall and into the kitchen to tells us this very important information, naked as the day she was born. We still laugh about this. Gotta love that woman!

You ladies are too funny. I got a good laugh out of your stories.

Hiedi, I am glad to hear your mom is home and on the mend. I have been thinking of you and the prayers are still coming your way. You still have your hands full and I know you need your strength and paitience. Your mom will need your help for a while, your journey is not over yet. It sounds like you are fairing well and it is great you have your sense of humor. Laughter is such a great healer.

laughing at all the stories..

Heidi, your DH got the mild part.. ;) . She could have thrown them over her shoulders and tied them with a scrunchy behind her head to have them out of the way. lol

These other stories are so cute... When caring for our son, in the hospital they would lay him out naked to bathe.

He had one wall of windows.. no blinds, drapes, etc. Didn't bother him at all, and for some reason I wasn't uncomfortable in caring for him, totally. We had our moments and a lot of laughs, which I treasure today.

Keep chuckling and laughing.

Heidi, I just spent most of the weekend with my Daughter-in-law. Her valve replacement was in late February of this year. The first couple of weeks were rough, but she is doing so well now. Her strength is returning and she is no longer short of breath. I am sure your mom will recover quickly and enjoy her restored health for many years. What a lucky woman she is to have you and your sweet husband to help her over the rough spots. Prayers always.

Heidi I am so glad to hear that your mom is doing well, thanks for sharing the funny story and humor does go a long way when having to deal with our parents and illness's. If she is like you, she will do well!

I laughed when reading everyone else's stories as well! :)

Thanks for all the other stories girls. They were a good laugh. We all do things we wouldn't want to do but are necessary sometimes.

Mom is doing really well. She is a doer and doens't want to be waited on for the most part. She is even cooking her own breakfast. Getting used to her new pills and starting my morning with 300 questions about them is trying my patience. LOL I did an excel spreadsheet for her with the pills schedule and included the colors and shapes of the pills for her and told her to read it. 5 times later I think she finally got it. LOL She talks and doesn't listen. Waking up to constant talking is always trying on me. My mom can be on the phone for 2 hours and then still talk and talk. I'm not usually that talkative and I enjoy waking up with the news and quiet. Oh well at least she is talking. I'm so thankful she is doing so well. Last night I was putting a pillow under her legs for her and she said, "Well I might just stay 2 weeks if I get this kind of treatment." I said, "Well 2 weeks is no problem but if you tell me to sell all your stuff and you're never going home I'm taking you home tonight!" We all got a really good laugh over that one. Even with open heart surgery she is not as needy as MIL was.

Heidi, glad your mother is doing so well. I laughed too!!! A few years back my mother was put in the hospital in the middle of the night will gall bladder pain. My 2 brothers took her and were caring for her that night. Somethingwas given to her for pain and she stood up at some point and dropped her gown and stood before them completely nakkkkked! She didn't remember it but they still laugh about it now. They too were trying to burn out the eyes! I would not make a good nurse unless the ill was a child. Blessings to you and yours.

Heidi, so glad to hear that your mom is on the mend. That's great news! Your husband sounds like a real sweetie pie...bless him for being so good natured about it all! I had to chuckle at your funny. I bet his eyes were as big as saucers when your mom was assisting with the bandage placement. You do what you have to do. Continued prayers coming your way.

Guest Linda S

So glad to hear she's out of the hospital and keeping you both on your toes! Sounds like she's determined to get well and be independent again.

Judy,

Almost no quilting getting done the last 2 weeks. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some time in my quilting room. My mother stayed with us for a week and went home on Sunday. She had a really rough day Sat. and yesterday ended up in the ER. She woke up short of breath. We went to the cardiologist who wanted to see her after Sat.'s problems but they decided to send her by ambulance to the ER. They were worried it was a blood clot but after an echo cardiogram, CT Scan, ultrasound of the legs, xrays and blood work she was discharged at 5:30. It was a very long day for her and she is feeling better today although she is still getting winded. THat is new since yesterday. They may end up putting her on oxygen. She had PT and the visiting nurse today. My brother stayed with her last night because she wouldn't come stay with me. It has been a stressful week but I'm really hoping she is on the road to recovery.

Heidi, glad to hear that for the most part, your mom has been doing good. It's so hard when they have some set-backs, but hopefully she's on the mend now and will be feeling great soon. Hope things calm down soon for you. That kind of stress is so exhausting. One of these days, you will be able to relax and quilt to your hearts' content. :) Hang in there!

Archived