What iron do you have?

Guest Linda S

I have a Rowenta Professional that is eight years old and is still going strong. I know, however, that a lot of their irons are now made in China instead of Germany, and have a tendency to leak, so a lot of people don't like them. I also have a plain, no-steam iron I bought for about $40 from the Vermont Country Store that I really love. It gets really hot, has not automatic shut-off, and I use it with a bottle of Mary Ellen's Best Press. It's really great for pressing. I figure if my Rowenta poops out, my next steam iron purchase will be the one someone mentioned here a while back. It is from Cleaner's Supply and has a tank you hang up and is a vertical feed steam iron. Looks pretty sturdy and has a great price at Cleaner's Supply:

http://www.cleanersupply.com/products/product.cfm?pID=4306

Dustee: We recently purchased a Pacific Steam gravity feed steam iron. For your info, I am in a group of quilter that meet once a week. There's about 10 of us. I quilt, the rest piece. We had a Rowenta steam generator before this iron. It always leaked water, and had to be refilled often. If it needed refilling during one of our sessions, it took hours for it to cool off enough to open and refill. We tried another newer Rowenta steam generator, and it was even worse. A friend has a DeLonge (I'm not sure about the spelling), and she had the same problem with it.

I researched irons, read posts and reviews, and decided to get a gravity feed. We love it. Always plenty of steam. Just push the steam switch. It has a gallon water reservior so plenty of water available. The reservior is clear, so you can see how much water is in the container. The amazing thing is how little water it uses. We go months without filling it.

My friend bought one, now she never runs out of water. No leaking with these irons, and they are rebuildable if it should sometime fail. She constantly complained about running out of water with her steam generators (she previously had a Rowenta too), no more. She likes it very much.

One thing to look for is the hand shield. The Pacific Steam iron I bought came with a hand heat shield. My friend bought a Silver Star I think, and it is not equipped with the shield. The iron gets hot. Another thing, they are heavy. The iron weighs about 4.5 lb. The Rowenta weighs about 3 lb. They do not stand up. They come with a silicon resting plate that you set the iron on. Another thing is that you have to accommodate the hanging water supply. I think I paid $169 for mine. I think my friend only paid $120 for hers. I highly recommend them. They are industrial irons, meant to to go 8 hours a day, seven days a week, and last a long, long time. Calcification is the biggest danger, and if you use distilled water, or the filter media that comes with most of them, that's not a problem. Jim

I recently purchased a Continental Platinum non-steam iron. I purchased it from Amazon.com (I believe this is the same iron that Vermont Country Store sells). I think I paid about $20 plus shipping for it. It gets really hot, does not shut off, and for pressing as I make my blocks it is perfect. When I say it gets hot, I mean it and the entire iron including the plastic parts seem to get warm but I've had it on for 4 hours or longer at a time and I've had no problems. I also have a steam iron - Reliable Digital Velocity - that gives lots of steam and I do like it but it takes a long time to heat up and it shuts off quickly. It is a real pain when piecing but it is great for ironing my husbands shirts and pants. In the past I have owned an Oliso which didn't even last one year, a EuroSteam that gave out in its second year, and several made by Shark. I really liked the Sharks but after awhile they started leaking.

I love my Rowenta Professional. I know that some have had troubles with them, but I agree with Linda that some of the ones made in China are not as good as the German made ones. This one is my second one - my first lasted nearly 10 years with no troubles. I've had this one about 2 years and it's still great, no leaks, heats fast and gets HOT! The only thing I'd change is the auto-off feature. I hate it when it shuts off before I'm ready to quit!

Did not like my Rowenta Steam Iron - leaked and I did clean it. Don't do much steam ironing. Use a spray bottle, so just ordered the non-steam iron.

Thanks to all of you ladies for the good information. Have been wanting a non-steam iron.

Like Linda, I use Mary Ellen's Best Press so this should be perfect.

Marilyn

Dustee,

I have the Oliso Iron in my studio - I love it. Very spoiled. I have the yellow one with the longer cord and the 30 min. delay auto shut off timer. But I have learned to buy spring water and to use only spring water, as we have very hard water where I live. Ir ruins many irons. Same as many here on the forum - my old Rowenta was great, until it was dropped one too many times - my new one leaked very bad and they would not o anything about it.... I pick up irons at garage sales as well, for the 4H kids I teach. Dave found an old Sunbeam ( avocado green from the 60's or early 70's) that is also a favorite - sometimes just a personal preference - try them out.

Jane

Thanks for all the information on irons. I am going to check them out, but I am leaning to the Pacific Steam gravity feed steam Jim recommended or gravity fed from Cleaner's Supply that Linda reccommended. I have a group of friends that come over for quilt days and fun. I am also thinking about ordering the no-steam iron from the Vermont Country Store for travel. I use Mary Ellen's Best Press all the time. I love the stuff. I have had 2 Rowentas and a Shark. I was one of the unfortunate ones that got leakers. The one that just pooped out on me was an Olisio Itouch. I think I it may be worth sending the Olisio in for repair as a backup. I really liked this iron but not sure I want to purchase a new one. My Olisio didn't even last two years. As you can tell, I am not too successful with irons. LOL

If hanging a gravity-feed iron is not an option, you might consider the Reliable i300. I have been using it daily in my studio (along with my students) for the past three years and I still love it. It holds so much water that I only have to fill it every two weeks or so. It gets more than hot enough whether dry or with steam. After a few years, it did develop a leak where the hose attaches to the iron but I sent it back to the factory and they repaired it beautifully. The only drawback that I can see is that the large tank does take up a lot of real estate. I have the iron sitting on a cabinet NEXT TO my ironing surface so that it doesn't eat up space on the board. BTW, I also have that dry iron from Vermont Country Store and it is great...especially for fusing because there are no holes in the sole plate.

i bought the dry iron from Vermont Country Store and really liked it, except for the non-turn-off feature. Sadly, it failed after about 6 months of use. I figure I got my $$$ worth at that point. I love a dry iron, refuse to use steam ... bad experience in the past. So looking again for a totally dry iron.

I too have the yellow Oliso and love it. My old iron pooped out last year. The Rowenta I replaced it with dies after about three months. Initially, I thought the option to leave the iron down was a gimmick. But after iron 300 string-sewn pieces with an Oliso at a quilt retreat, I was sold--so much less motion on my aging and arthritic joints.

The price of the Oliso is a little shocking so shop around. There is a significant difference in prices depending on where you buy it.

The Professional Rowenta's I've owned have been great. I just gave my 10 year old Rowenta to my daughter in law because they came out with a new one that DOES NOT auto shut off and my husband bought it for me for Christmas last year. That iron steams so much it fogs up my glasses in a hurry! I have always put half distilled and half tap water in my irons; total distilled water does not steam well. I've only dealt with the Professional Rowenta's and not any cheaper models.

Good to hear about the oliso irons, I too have gone through 2 or three rowenta's and they always seemed to have some kind of problem including blowing out my plug in the wall. I just went with el cheepos that you find at costco or wally world and figure when they go, I'll just replace them..my current sunbeam seems to be lasting for more than a year so far...

I too went through a number of Rowenta irons, but am now the proud owner of a Reliable Digital Velocity V100. Best iron I have ever had. Bought it about two years ago, works as well today as the day I bought it. Good luck in your research and decision. Here is a link to the Reliable irons, if you're interested.

http://www.reliablecorporation.com/Products/Home-Irons

I love the Pacific Steam iron. I had thought I might eventually get the Rowenta, and am so glad I haven't upgraded yet. I have fought with my irons. I thought it was me, but my irons were failing at a rate of one every couple of years. The Rowenta Steamium has lasted me a couple of years and even survived the last thunderstorm. (the phone junction box and our dryer heating element both failed in the last thunder storm)

I have had several Rowentas over the past ten years, all developed leaks. The oliso I bought started leaking shortly after the auto legs stopped extending shortly after the warranty ran out. Bought another and the same thing happened. The owner of my local quilt shop was selling those and quit because of customer complaints and her own experience with the ones that were being used in her classes. She now only sells the Reliable Velocity because it has outlasted any others she has had in the shop. She has sold quite a few in the past 18 months and so far people have been very happy with them. So that is the one I think I've decided to buy. Although, I may consider the Pacific Steam after reading these comments.

I have a Panasonic cordless iron which is just an average one BUT I covered my table with the Bo Nash ironing cover. Now my iron "works" well. The iron cover is a heat reflecting one. I still would like a better iron at some point, but for $35 (covers a big board), it really helped.

Originally posted by Ferrari

I have a Panasonic cordless iron which is just an average one BUT I covered my table with the Bo Nash ironing cover. Now my iron "works" well. The iron cover is a heat reflecting one. I still would like a better iron at some point, but for $35 (covers a big board), it really helped.

Good to know about the Bo Nash board cover, Carol. I just ordered one for my big board. I have a rowenta professional and it works well. It is my second Rowenta. I use the heck out of them! I like that is doesn't have the auto shut off. I tried a Shark for a while, but the auto shut off drove me crazy...and the road is not very long! ;)

I've had just about every brand of Iron. Some of been really good. Others not so much----

You might want to read my Blog posting about my latest Iron.

The Hamilton Beach Digital Iron. Model #14875 1500 watt wonder! They may be hard to find at the moment. But, keep looking.

http://timberhillthreads.blogspot.com/2012/02/iron-saga-happy-ending.html

I'm still enjoying it!;)

Archived