NQR - anyone else have this problem???

I have been having a terrible time with my fingernails being weak, thin, brittle. I was getting manicures and she was using a new method called Lacquer. At first, it worked great......my nails were growing, nice and hard and looking good..........then all of a sudden, that stuff isn't working any more and just peels off before a week is out.

Anyone else have trouble with thin, brittle nails and what do you do, what do you take, etc. ????

I was just reading online and found several references to "decolorized iodine"..........paint it on nails and it helps. I will give it a try. Can't hurt !

Linda, my nails have always been weak and I'm prone to chewing on them, so I've invested time and money in acrylic nails, professionally maintained. Since demonstrating long arm machines means folks are going to be looking at my hands, I consider it a business investment, even if it's not deductible! ;)

Originally posted by dancing bear

Have your manicurist change the product she is using on your nails. It sounds like it is old ... I had this problem several years ago. In fact, I changed places where I was having my nails done. No more early peel-off ...

Interesting.......never thought about that ! Hummmm. Kind of hard to change places, as I get my hair done at the same place, so I can't avoid her very well. I like my hairdresser and don't want to change.

Barb, I did the acrylic nails for a while too, but was afraid of what it was doing to my nails under them. I also had trouble getting threads caught under them and popping them off.

I also have acrylic nails they have saved me a bunch. I've attempted to smash them with my hopping foot; sew through with the needle; hammer them; and almost cut them with a tile saw. The only time I had the problems you mentioned was due to the product being used. Also had to go to square tips instead of rounded as they hold up better for me. Try a different nail tech or place. If the gal at your current place asks why say her products weren't working for you and you wanted to try something different. If you like the new stuff tell her she may get it in and you could go back or not. I have been thru several nail techs until I found one who's nails worked and I liked her work ethic.

Shirley

I had the same issue with "shellac". As soon as I quit using it and went back to regular manicures, the peeling and splitting stopped. I know, a traditional manicure doesn't last as long. I don't like gels or acrylics because I do so much with my hands, like hand applique and embroidery.

Luckily I have strong healthy nails, they break down in the quick tho if I strain them too much. I also have thick abundant hair. Neither of my sisters have my hair or nails, but they don't have to shave either. I, on the other hand, have to shave too often, and get terrible ingrown hair. The grass is always greener isn't it?

Guest Linda S

Do you gals get enough calcium? I eat a LOT of dairy -- always have. Skim milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, etc., are usually in what I eat every day. My nails are incredibly strong. Wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I am on a diet for my migrane headaches and can't eat a lot of things and my hair started falling out...I use a vitamin now called collagen elastin...it is for hair and nails...I have always had nails that split and chip. They are in a lot better shape now

Hey Linda,

Don't give up on having your nails done. Being a licensed Cosmetologist forever myself, I can tell you that any product you put on your nails(or hair) can be sensitizing to the strength & integrity of your natural nail. Having a good outcome of any product starts with a good starting point. If they are weakened, flimsy due to product, unless there is permanent damage to the nail bed itself, they will grow out & be OK. The thing with all the long lasting (Shellac & Axium) type product is that it is really important that the product is really soaked off. It takes time but if it's soaked off completely w/o scraping off layers of the nail, your natural nails should remain strong. Remember that water is no friend to any nail product (polish, acrylic or long wearing polish), wear gloves. The other thing is to make sure you use a high quality cuticle oil, such as Avoplex. If you put 'stuff' on your nails, they may get compromised but boy, it sure makes our hands look so much nicer :) I hope this rambling message has helped. Let me know if you need more info :)

My nails have always peeled and split, and polish even made them peel and split more. It helps if I keep my hands and nails really moisturized. I used to give myself paraffin treatments too (made my hands nice and soft), and that seemed to really help the nails. I should start doing that again. I think I just got lazy with it. Anyway, these things did help. Good luck.

Hi Linda,

I stopped using the laquer/shellac because the chemical they use to take it off is so harsh - they use a strong acetone and my nails became so weak and pealed. The shellac looks so great and lasts so long- but the acetone really ruined my nails - became very weak and pealed so badly the shellac then came off----

Jane

Originally posted by Dave-Jane

Hi Linda,

I stopped using the laquer/shellac because the chemical they use to take it off is so harsh - they use a strong acetone and my nails became so weak and pealed. The shellac looks so great and lasts so long- but the acetone really ruined my nails - became very weak and pealed so badly the shellac then came off----

Jane

Jane, that is exactly what happened to my nails! As soon as I went back to plain ol' polish, my nails stopped splitting and peeling. So now I get a manicure every

couple of weeks, and polish my own nails in between if necessary. ;) I also remove all polish before going in for a manicure. I have found the nail polish remover of choice by manicurists is acetone, and my nails/skin do not tolerate it very well.

My nails are terribly weak and brittle. They peel and split. I tired the acrylic nails when I was younger, but that just seemed to make things worse for the underlying nail. I have tried some "strengthening" products and the best thing I have found so far is a creme called "hard as hoof". I did some looking online for stuff and several had recommended this product. I found it at Walmart. It is a creme that you rub into your nails and cuticles. Full of vitamins and such that nourish your nails. It is not just a paint on kind of thing, but actually is absorbed into nails. When I use it regularly, I notice a difference. No, my nails are not hard as a hoof, but they do grow longer and stronger and don't seem to split as much as they did without use.

Thanks for all the tips and advice ladies. I decided I am going to let my nails go "naked" for a while. Maybe they need to breath for a while. I've been using acrylic nails or the shellac for a couple of years now. I was reading up online and several referred to"decolorized iodine" that you paint on your nails every day for a week, then once a week, then once a month. Many have seen good results. The first article I read was from Heloise (the household tip lady). Then I found more references on other sites. I found some at Wal Mart in the antiseptic section of the pharmacy department. Then, I think I need more calcium as well, so bought some good Calcium with Vitamin D, zinc and magnesium. Also bought the Biotin. So, we will see how things go from here.

I agree the stuff used to remove the shellac is strong. She wraps my nails in cotton soaked with the stuff and holds them on with strips of foil. When she takes the foil off, the shellac has bubbled up. Reminds me of paint remover !

I do take medications, but have been taking those for years and the problem with the shellac not sticking has just come about in the last couple of months.

When I was pregnant and taking those prenatal vitamins (many, many years ago), I had the prettiest nails. Of course I was nearly 40 years younger too. haha

I have always suffered with weak splitting nails, tried the acrylics, gels, and my nails just got progressively worse. Loved the look of nice manicured nails, but couldn't "stay ladylike" !!! enough, what with getting firewood, camping etc. Last time I got my nails done was a year ago for our son's wedding. Since them I have started taking Glucosimine with Condroitin, for my tired old body and also taking Omega 3,6,9's and My nails are actually strong enough they can grow to almost 1/4 inch. They don't fold back anymore, Love it, don't know if it's the Omega's or the Glucosimine. I'm just not changing anything. It makes sense to me that what's going in to our body makes the difference. Hope you find what works for you. Marion in BC

Archived