Oklahoma Twister Visits Kansas Quilt

One of our guild members, Lerlene Nevaril, wrote another pattern book called Midnight Quilts last year.  There's a quilt in there called "Oklahoma Twister" that she taught the class on at our guild.  I replaced two of the blocks with a Wizard of Oz panel of Dorothy and Toto with the rainbow behind them and named my quilt "Oklahoma Twister Visits Kansas" as that is how it seems to be when those tornados start in Oklahoma...they end up here in Kansas somehow.  I wanted to point out that I tried a new-to-me technique that I picked up from Linda Rech's book for the outside border.  It reminded me of a tornado.  It wasn't as hard to do as I had initially thought it would be, and I did it in two passes. I also tried another new-to-me technique, faux piped binding, that was in the September 2012 American Quilter magazine.  It just added a little somethin-somethin' to the 45" square quilt. Again, thanks for looking, and maybe it will spur ya'll to try something new for 2013! 

post-3924-0-99517400-1360534248_thumb.jpg

post-3924-0-71662800-1360534272_thumb.jpg

I really like your quilting in the border.  Did you have to use a template or a tool?   As a fellow Kansan, I know what you  mean about those tornadoes.  :)  :)

Okay, so don't laugh, but I used a circle from a Tuppertoys template. I think it was from the Tupperware company and the copyright on it is 1987.  It was in some crafty stuff my friend had that I "inherited".  I think it's really for children, but I "played" with it on this quilt!  I freehanded the rest of it, but I measured and marked the circles for a consistent reference.  Which part of Kansas are you from?

post-3924-0-66746000-1360540203_thumb.jpg

Oh Cindy--with two photos you have lifted my spirits in a way you can't know!

To see someone use the designs in the book is so gratifying. And that design is one of my own original designs. I've used it a couple of times, but to see your stitching ( and beautiful stitching at that) makes me grin big! Dennis is an inventor and author. He says there's nothing better than seeing your efforts used/applied successfully. It seems like a little thing to most people--but it's wonderful to me! (I guess I'm a bit sappy because of the latest drama here--don't care :P!)

Congrats on a gorgeous quilt--love the ruler work!

Linda, I would "LIKE" your post if I wasn't already at my 24 hour limit!  Thanks again for publishing your ideas in your book!

I would not be as far along on my quilting if it hadn't been for this forum and the wonderful people on it willing to share their experiences and teachings. I just hope to be able to pay it forward by posting how I've accomplished something.

I'm just a long arm quilter. I'm still learning...every...day. I'm not famous. My quilts aren't destined for the big quilt shows, but I have a compassion for quilting that feeds my soul. :wub:  Now look who's being sappy.  Hey, that's how I roll!!

Very cool, Cindy! I am a huge Wizard of Oz fan and yes, I have that fabric panel! I love how you changed up the pattern to make it your own.

I grew up in central Illinois. I remember more than one tornado, tucked away in the basement and hearing what sounded like a freight train overhead. And the green sky right before the twister...

Archived