Something Took A Ribbon

Because of this little Bugger      post-4246-0-56612700-1371563653_thumb.jpg

I got this.......    post-4246-0-35156200-1371563710_thumb.jpg    It took third place in the art section.     There were so many beautiful quilts I don't know how they could choose.    The only comment was that I could improve on my binding.    I don't know what I need to improve on unless it was the stitches were not tiny enought.    I don't know how they grade you on that......  

I saw so many beautiful applique quilts and decided that I needed to take  a needle turn applique class which was very interesting.    All I can say is that is alot of work......        

This was such a fun show,  I got to meet alot of new quilter friends setting up the show and taking it down.   I did not realize how much goes into these big shows and how organized they are.   I used muscles that I didn't know that I had.     I'm looking forward to the next show in St. Cloud next year.

Thanks for looking!

Rebecca: That's a lovely quilt with terrific quilting and it's great that the judges recognized it with a ribbon.  Congratulations!

I'm not a quilt show judge but I have been in charge of running the judging for our large Guild show for the past several years.  I've seen many teams of NQA certified judges do their work on approximately 200 quilts that are judged each year.  Just in case it would be helpful to you or anyone reading this, I can tell you what they look for in bindings.  It can be really frustrating when their critiques aren't clear or specific but in the judges defense, they have only a couple minutes to examine and comment on each quilt.

In our show, the judges evaluate whether the binding is consistent in width...I've even seen them comment when the print of a binding fabric makes the binding appear to be distorted in width or not on grain.  They don't seem to care if the binding is wide or skinny.  They don't care if it is cut on the straight of grain or on the bias.  They sure do notice if you put piping in the binding.  You're right, the stitching needs to be very secure without puckering the binding.  The mitered corners need to be sewn closed.  The seams of the binding should lay flat and the binding, whatever width, should be filled to the edge with the batting.

I hope that's helpful to someone reading those cryptic judges comments on their written evaluations.  Congratulations again on a ribbon for your beautiful quilt.  Nancy in Tucson 

Rebecca,  It's a beautiful quilt.  You could put it in another show and judges would say, "Great binding."  It's all subjective.  I'm sure many people went by and said, "Third place.  That should be first."  LOL Love to see your quilting.

Congratulations! I love the design of your quilt echoing that great batik pattern! The competition in the art category was very tough...lots of entries. I had one in that catogory and yours is much better than mine. My binding is rippled! I also had a cape entry and won 1st place out of 2 entries in the category. I am expecting them to drop the clothing category next year. We love to go camping in the Duluth area but I don't know if we will go every other year. The show will only be in St. Cloud and Duluth from now on.

Because of this little Bugger      attachicon.gifI Phone photos 175.JPG

I got this.......    attachicon.gifMinnesota Quilt Show 302.JPG    It took third place in the art section.     There were so many beautiful quilts I don't know how they could choose.    The only comment was that I could improve on my binding.    I don't know what I need to improve on unless it was the stitches were not tiny enought.    I don't know how they grade you on that......  

I saw so many beautiful applique quilts and decided that I needed to take  a needle turn applique class which was very interesting.    All I can say is that is alot of work......        

This was such a fun show,  I got to meet alot of new quilter friends setting up the show and taking it down.   I did not realize how much goes into these big shows and how organized they are.   I used muscles that I didn't know that I had.     I'm looking forward to the next show in St. Cloud next year.

Thanks for looking!

Your quilt is beautiful!

Archived