Craftsy Classes

I have taken three classes at Craftsy but I wait for the classes I want to take to go on sale. I think I only paid $10 to $20 for each class that are regularly $30 to $40.  They are okay and I did fast forward though a lot of them.  I would say give one a try and see if you like the format.

Kathy's right.  Wait to find them on sale.  Some are more worthwhile than others but I do like the format.  I can watch whenever I want, back up & replay, and the content is available to me as long as Craftsy is in business.  So far, the best Craftsy quilting classes I've taken are Cindy Needham, Kimmy Brunner and Beth Ferrier.  Angela Walters if you like modern quilting but it, like many of the classes, is pretty basic & quite repetitive.  Just my two cents.   Nancy in Tucson

I've purchased quite a few and liked them all.  I've learned something from each.  I usually wait until they go on sale.  They are less expensive than taking a class at my LQS and I get the patterns to boot.  I'm not saying to take these instead of classes at your LQS because they are two different methods.  Sometimes I like the classroom with other people and sometimes I like sitting alone at my computer. 

I purchased the Quick Strip Paper Piecing with Peggy Martin and received her 115 page book as a download.  That made the class worth it to me.  Then on top of it she taught me a lot.  I also have the Machine Quilting Negative Spaces one and I've learned from it.  I always recommend these classes to new quilters.  I've taught 3 people this past year how to make quilts and now my youngest daughter wants to learn how.  It's so much easier to have them buy a certain class and take their time learning it. None of these "new" learners live anywhere near me so all the teaching is done on the computer or by telephone.

They are definitely worth the price.     

I took the Machine Quilting with Templates class by Kimmy Bruner & loved it.  Also took the Artisan Breadmaking class by Peter Reinhart & loved it.  I actually made some of the bread following the class & it turned out great. I have taken several different classes & enjoyed all of them.  Be sure to wait for their sales.  Also you get a coupon for $20 or $25 off the next class after you order your 1st class.  You can watch the classes over & over.

I LOVE the Craftsy platform. You can also download an app and watch them on your iPhone. My very favorite class is "Design It, Quilt It" with Cindy Needham. I've bought a LOT of classes that I haven't even watched yet, but they're always available to me when I have the time. Other favorite classes are "Thread Art" with Lola Jenkins and "Designing Modern Quilts" with Weeks Ringle.

I've taken a few and learned from each one.

If you sign up for crafty, they send emails telling you of sales.

That's how I've bought my classes.

I like that you can watch as you have time, go back and watch again and you have the class forever.

And, it's interactive.

You can ask questions and the teacher answers.

It's not like going to a retreat and having an expert right there with you.

But, you still learn a lot.

Because I no longer own a dvd player anymore (I know...3rd world problems)   I would love to see longarm quilting videos streaming online such as youtube and craftsy.   

Thanks for the input on craftsy.   I like the idea of it, but didn't know of anyone who took classes yet.   Was thinking of trying some of the Angela Walters' classes.  

I have taken several classes as well including some FREE mini-classes on Block of the Months and Know your Wool. The paid classes were Cindy Needham;; which I highly recommend; Angela Walters; & Judy Martin. i still have some I haven't taken; I really enjoy the fact that I can go look them over again and again. i think I paid full price for the first one and from then on I got them on sale. Enjoy!

I have taken all of Angela Walters classes and liked the first two and can recommend them, but "Dot to Dot" is a big disappointment.

I have signed up for quite a few classes , paid for and free, and like others when I am paying I always wait for a sale! Loved Cindy Needham, and Kim Brunner, and have watched some of the free ones just to be quilting when I can't quilt! Also different topics, like container gardening and knitting.

I have learned at least one thing from everything I have watched, which is always my justification for taking any class!

After I had my Millie set up, it was now what!! I did use the pantographs that came with it, but got bored quickly. Then I heard about Angela's classes and tried the negative spaces. It was perfect for me at that stage. I loved being able to watch and listen over and over. That's what it took to get it in my brain I guess. So far, I watched a little of her feathers class but need to follow up and practice a ton. Sorry to hear the new dot to dot doesn't measure up. Nice thing about Craftsy, you can do a return and get your money back, so they say. Haven't needed to yet. 

I have probably taken close to 20 of the classes.  I am new to quilting and freemotion so a year ago started taking the classes.  That way I don't have to drag my sewing machine across town to take a class.  Love that I can do the classes over and just the parts I need when I want.  Always wait till they are on sale to sign up for them.

I agree that it's a royal pain to tote one's machine to classes, and I dislike doing it, but if attendance drops too much in classes given by LQSs they may offer fewer -- and in the long run we all lose.  That said, I have enrolled in a couple of Craftsy classes and have mixed feelings.  Some are good, but none have the personal touch.  (And no, I don't have a quilt shop!)

• 2 years later...

Archived