I Can Post Pictures Now !!!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sue -

FANTASTIC!!! Okay, now I need the info.. type of thread, black fabric, stitch length, stitch regulated or Non stitch regulated ... and how long it took you to do the flowers? I can\'t imagine how long it took you to do the others.

I gotta take this class. What an inspiration!!!

Happy New Year

Good morning sooooo many questions so many ego strokes LOL OK as for thread it\'s all about the colour for me... I use varigated threads no solids and non stitch reg. as I have to move the machine head in a way that as the colour changes on the spool I am stitching the right colour in the right shaded area that I want it to be in I call it thread counting and I teach this teq. in my thread art class. It sounds harder then it is and if you ask people who have taken the class they will tell you that after you practise for abit, you just start seeing and knowing when that next colour is going to appear and you can move the machine to the correct space in the piece and achieve the shading that you want. It different thread line has a different thread exchange... ie long, short, and in different lengths so I choice the thread line depending on colour and colour exchange length. For example YLI has a long colour exchange so it is good for large designs, where King Tut has a short colour exchange which is good for small designs, Valdani thread is long and the colours blend into each other perfect for shading, and Signature is long and has a very calculated exchange. The thicker the thread the better for me as it fills in the design space quicker and most of my thread art takes more then 200 hours to complete... some of my larger quilts take months or years.... and have anywhere from 20 to 80 large cones of thread quilted into them.... but thread is my passion and I collect it like most quilters collect fat quarters. OK so we\'ve covered thread... oh I do use others including matalic and the shinny ones LOL and I never use a stitch reg. Any dark fabric is good but I like to buy the wide so I don\'t have to seam it together the blacker the better for me, but I also have done them on white, hand dyes, batik, and marbled fabrics, and the backs are mostly done in the same colour or a light colour so I can use dark thread on the back and light thread on the front and get two different looks from the same design... my new quilt has black on the front and a rich yellow hand dye on the back. Most of them are two sided. Note when you are running thick cotton thread top and bottom you have to loosen both the top and bottom tension. My fav. batting to use is wool !!!! the thread slides through it like butter, but then you have to change to a very small needle to do your back ground fill so the batting does not show through the black fabric.... for newby quilters I would say use black batting if you have a dark fabric front and back.... also very important I change my needle ALOT!!!! When you are stitching at high speed through batik or hand dyes and batting and stitching over cotton thread your needle dies quickly... don\'t wait to hear the popping sound or your backing threads will not look like top threads. OK Hope that helps... Happy quilting:cool: I will be in my studio next week and will try to remember to take a picture of the last two years of class samples ( what you would do as a student in one of my thread art classes, I change the sample each year as I hate working on the same designs for to long LOL) Then I will post the samples....

Almost all of my thread art quilts have been entered to competition, because I travel so much and I have really bad orginization skills I pick and choose the show I will be at, usually MSQ, Houston. Some have won 1st place in one show and 2nd place in others but most of the ones I\'ve done in the last 3 or 4 years have won something. In the beginning the judges did NOT like my work, they did not believe it was done on a longarm and although I would say completely quilted on a non stitch reg. LA they would make comments like lovely machine embroidered design center, adaquit LA background fill. Or they would just disqualify it all together... but I decided a longggg time ago that my thread art was going to be for me, so I kept doing it my way and kept entering it and kept teaching it, It\'s like I said in my early post it\'s not always about entering to win.... It\'s just soooooo cool to see it hang in a show.:cool:

• 7 months later...

Hay everyone I am posting here again to bring the post back so Grammie can have a look see!!

Kenna I am teaching in Houston this year so come by the booth and say hi or sign up for a class and I'll see you there.

The eyes and mouths were the easy part quick and simple LOL with little stitches and thin thread.;)

Hi Sue,

I took your threadpainting class and I thought what you did then was spectacular, but you've hit the grand slam this time!

This could be auctioned off at Sotheby's. Simply fabulous! If you ever get the chance to see the wallhangings by the elevator at the Wynn Hotel in Las Vegas, I'm sure you could duplicate those. I think? they are hand stitched. Email me if you want and I'll send pix of them (xxooms@mac.com).

I'm guessing you are probably deluged by the thread manufacturers due to your work. I'm wondering what this would have cost you, or did cost you, in thread at retail prices?

Marlene in Tahoe

Sue you are a gem!! The talent you have is unbelievable and it shows. I love the girls and the flowers are sooooo real looking and dainty you are truly an artist!. I have seen you do this but still can't get it....I guess I will have to watch the MASTER at work some more, which I have NO problem doing..;) just have to catch up to her.:D

Renae

Hi Sue.

If I was not so full of questions and wonder, I'd be speachless! Your work is breath

taking! So delicate and just fabulous...especially from a LA!!

It seems like the thread may build up a bit. Without seams, this must not be too much of a problem...but what about needles? I guess you'd want a thin one for the delicacy of it yet need a big honker of a needle to stand up to it all. What do you use? You must go through a few dozen with each quilt!!

Oh, then there is batting...what does not beard through all the needle holes or become stiff as a board?

I am so glad you stuck with what you love...it is a pleasure to see and as you can tell, we all love it too!

Thanks for sharing it.

Lisa

Liberty

NW New Jersey

Originally posted by ginnysnowden

Oh Sue,

If only I could breath the same air you do maybe some of that talent would rub off on me.

Breathtaking as usual!

Ginny Snowden

Ginny, think about that. If the work is breath taking you couldn't breath some of her air!:D

Sue, your work is worthy of the most exclusive gallery....ever thought about a one women show? Really. Who else does anything like this? It's totally amazing, awesome, and magnificent.

Archived