What do you make when you have lost track of the time?

I was so engrossed in my projects yesterday that I lost track of time and was stummped for dinner ideas. I usually plan dinner in the a.m. and if I am planning on sewing all day I will put up a crock pot meal. Yesterday I was at a complete loss. Nothing was working. Or maybe I am just tired of dinner planning? What's your favorite "throw together" dinner for when you are in a pinch??

Sewhappy

We have started eating healthy (about a year and a half ago) and I almost did the same thing yesterday that you did. We keep Tilapia (fish) in the freezer that come in individual wrapped packages. They are so quick to thaw and so easy to prepare. Only took a few minutes to whip up fish, oven rosted potatoes and steamed veggies. Ta-da!!

Sloppy Joes. They\'re fast, easy and I usually have what I need (sometimes we eat them on bread not buns though, LOL) Put some corn chips with them and it\'s a meal :)

If it\'s really bad we have "fend for yourself night" and the kids and DH look for canned food (ravioli, etc.) or pizza pockets, left overs, you get the idea!

kat in indiana

Boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloins only take a few minutes to defrost in a bowl of cool water. They cook up quick and there are so many things you can do with them.

Deer tenderloin steaks, same thing- quick to defrost and broil or pan fry in about 10 minutes. Make some mac and cheese or mashed potatoes to go with, open a can of peas or corn, and there\'s dinner.

Soup and grilled cheese is another quick easy one that we do sometimes.

Tacos are always quick. I keep tortillas frozen and the beef is in patty sizes (also frozen). My husband is the only meat eater in the house so I break meats down to portion size to cook.

Chicken breasts or tenders browned in a skillet with a soy sauce marinade (already purchased one), rice and steamed veggies.

For me...a protein drink when I don\'t have time with fresh veggies...I know sounds weird...but it works.

Pancakes and eggs are always good too, but some people don\'t like "breakfast foods" for dinner.

Frozen ravioli, frozen pizza and soup.

Cheryl

I keep fish in the freezer also, usually talapia and salmon. Toss on the barbeque, minute rice, and a salad or veggie. Our barbeque is in a covered area so I use it year round.

Takes 15 mins for dinner. Another is hotdogs, mac\'n\'cheese and a green veggie or pork\'n\' beans. I don\'t do the hotdogs very often tho, can\'t handle the spices or something - instant heartburn:-)

We use to have weird hours at our house with Gene\'s coming and going from 4a to as late as 7p and me almost the same....But instead of him calling me to ask if I was cooking, when he knew I was up to my elbows with a quilt, he would ask if he needed to "Run over something on his way home" or "If he needed to use his can opener"..... He too is too cute.

My hubby of 33 yrs is a vegetarian...we\'re always stumped for meal ideas. I\'m not that good of a cook anyways. But my favorite quick meal is chili...we have a couple of decent vegetarian chili and soup recipes. Sometimes I just want something non-vegetarian, so we\'ll go out somewhere that\'ll accomodate us both...like I said, I\'m not a very good cook, especially meat (duh!). But going out not only costs too much these days, but it takes up the whole evening.

Desserts...now I can cook desserts...but ya can\'t live off of desserts.

Anita

Anita....I\'d like to try....Isn\'t there a saying out there someplace that says something like....

"Life\'s short so eat desserts first"......

Besides desserts spelled backwards is STRESSED....and when I was stressed in advertising I ate lots of desserts...;):P;)

Seafood, precooked chicken, or pork in stir fry, or rice with vegies and some kind of meat.. left over\'s good, or turkey ground, or strips of lean port chop. We usually have things like raw carrots, celery, broccoli or cauliflower cleaned to eat fresh, throw in some fresh & slice or canned musrooms, even pineapple chunks, olives, and the meal is complete, with a roll or slice of bread, garlic bread, soft bread sticks, etc.

RitaR

After reading everyones post I thought of something else that will help make quick meals. It\'s gonna sound like a commercial..... but here it goes, The George Foreman Grill. I can throw those frozen chicken breasts on there and they are done quickly and juicey. You can do steak, grilled cheese and I suppose more but that is all I usually use it for. Maybe burgers.

Of course we do fend for yourself kindof. My daughter is only 6 and can only make so much. LOL. She loves making her own PB&J and toast.

Bonnie, Your husband sounds like a hoot.

Michele

I make my famous (?) Five Can Chili. Three cans of assorted beans (drained)--kidney, red, pinto, whatever, one can tomato sauce or partially drained diced tomatoes, one small can tomato paste. Spice it however you like--I use taco seasoning mix and salsa. Plop it all together and heat on low. Cook until they all come home or you stagger out from the studio. You can put meat in if you want to take the extra time! I keep those small Jiffy corn muffin mixes on hand if anybody wants some with.

Tuna sandwiches and tomatoe soup

French toast w/ apricot pineapple jam and whip cream

Bacon, potatoes, eggs. Cut up bacon into two inch pieces (apprx) fry while

peeling potatoes, add potatoes, cover, cook on med high. Takes about

12 min. Just don\'t use too much bacon or it comes out greasy.

Scrambled egg and bacon burritos

Scrambled egg sandwiches

Nachos

Hamburger and chips

Hamburger and Bush\'s Pinto beans burrito

I should make a list and keep it in a kitchen drawer!

OOPS! I lost track of time happens frequently...I always have some organic precleaned salad greens on hand, out of the bag or box...add whatever\'s fast and convenient...garbanzo beans add taste and protein, or shredded cheese, carrots, tomatoes, walnuts, apple, etc. Everyone has their favorite salad dressing. Sometimes if there are friends over I do a salad bar and let everyone choose.

LOVE, love, love the Birds Eye Steamfresh veggies...no affiliation...they are flash frozen at the source, third parties have said that because of the flash freezing process there\'s actually more vitamins then if a fresh veggies camps out in your frig for a few days. I sometimes mix bags of these, add sliced almonds.

Third, frozen stuffed shells. Costco still has these, I think, although where I live I don\'t have one near by. Just put it on a plate, add your favorite jar of pasta sauce, cover w/paper towel, microwave, and voila! in about 3 minutes you have a main course.

OOPS! I lost track of time happens frequently...I always have some organic precleaned salad greens on hand, out of the bag or box...add whatever\'s fast and convenient...garbanzo beans add taste and protein, or shredded cheese, carrots, tomatoes, walnuts, apple, etc. Everyone has their favorite salad dressing. Sometimes if there are friends over I do a salad bar and let everyone choose.

LOVE, love, love the Birds Eye Steamfresh veggies...no affiliation...they are flash frozen at the source, third parties have said that because of the flash freezing process there\'s actually more vitamins then if a fresh veggies camps out in your frig for a few days. I sometimes mix bags of these, add sliced almonds.

Third, frozen stuffed shells. Costco still has these, I think, although where I live I don\'t have one near by. Just put it on a plate, add your favorite jar of pasta sauce, cover w/paper towel, microwave, and voila! in about 3 minutes you have a main course.

Archived