One more try to post Houston pics

Dear friends,

Oh my, I am making a mess of this. Will try one more time to post these pics. If it doesn't work, would everyone please send me their street address and I'll send everyone a pic via snail mail!:P Maybe here's my quilt Happy, Happy, Happy

Nope...can't figure out how to make it small enough to load. I give up!:(

I am posting this for our Nancy (Mrs.A)

I'm technologically challenged...Shana has been kind enough to volunteer to post this photo to the forum for me. I'm Nancy Arseneault (Mrs.A) from Tucson AZ and this quilt will be shown in the Art - Whimsical category at Houston next month. It's the first time I've ever entered Houston and I was blown away when both entries were accepted.

Miss Lola McGurk is a poem I memorized as a child. It was written by Joseph Newman of Cleveland Ohio (uncle to Paul Newman and husband of my grandmother's best friend). For years I wanted to make it into a quilt. Although I could visualize the story board (six panels like a cartoon strip) I was unable to create the drawings myself. Last year I realized that my brother (an author and illustrator) is the only other person on the planet who knows this poem too. I asked him to do the drawings and I have interpreted them into fabric. Machine applique with embellishments. Here is the poem:

Miss Lola McGurk had a wart on her nose, as big as a marrowfat bean.

And wherever she went, to her constant distress, the wart was immediately seen.

Eighty four feet away, it was plain as the day. It was difficult, you may suppose,

To distinguish which knob on her face was the wart, and which the original nose.

She tried every nostrum and powder and salve that she read in the news and the roto,

Applying them both to the nose and the wart until both of them vanished in toto!

So now she had neither the wart nor the nose, though the latter she wished to retain,

And her family was anxious to see her supplied with a nasal appendage again.

So she went to a doctor who grew her a nose and a very fine doctor was he,

For as pretty a beazer appeared on her face as a gal ever wanted to see.

But lo and behold, on the very next day, to the utter amazement of Lola,

The identical wart nonchalantly popped out on her new, artificial schnozolla.

post--13461900500529_thumb.jpg

I am posting this for our Nancy (Mrs.A)

Here's my quilt Happy, Happy, Happy which will be shown in Houston in the Traditional Applique category. I made nine blocks from Kim Diehl's Country Whig Rose pattern, then four more simpler blocks so that I could set it on point. The vine borders are original. It's invisible machine applique with 1/4" straight line quilting that I did on my DSM before I got my apqs machine. If Shana is able to post it for me, I hope it will make you Happy, Happy, Happy. Nancy Arseneault (Mrs. A) Tucson AZ

post--13461900500709_thumb.jpg

Nancy,

Both of your quilts are wonderful!;) The whimsical one is charming and cute! Your brother did good!

The applique quilt "Happy" makes me glad that I belong to this forum and have the opportunity to see both of your wonderful quilts! ;) and so many other quilters inspiring work! Keep us posted on how both quilts do in Houston!

Two cute quilts, worthy of going to Houston.. The Whimsical one is charming.. and the other is just plain pretty.. I love the randomness of the fabrics.. Any idea how long it took you to complete it, or how many different fabrics are in it??

Sure is pretty.. Good Luck,

RitaR

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words and a special shout out to my new BF Shana for posting my pics.

To answer your questions...Rita, I never did count the fabrics in Happy, Happy, Happy. I just pulled brights in a few color categories (royal blue, turquoise, pink, orange, purple, yellow, green) and built from there trying to distribute color evenly around the quilt. I saved all the fabrics in a bin because I'm now working on a patchwork top w/the same fabrics. Happy, Happy, Happy Two? I made it last year for the Tucson Quilt Fiesta show in January ( I try to enter 2 - 3 quilts annually in different categories to challenge myself) and I'm going to guess it took about 4 months start to finish (with other stuff going on at the same time). SheriB: I don't have better close up pics but the quilting is not really the star of either of these quilts. In Happy, I used a white on white stripe for the background which alternates direction as the blocks come together so that it makes a checkerboard. I used the stripes for quilting lines so the stitching is about 1/4 apart and I outlined the applique shapes. That's it. In Lola, I used a different background fill for each block, outlined the applique shapes and did some threadwork & beading for embellishment. As I said, this was before I became a apqs owner. Right now I'm working on the 2 quilts I will be entering into the Tucson show THIS January. Will probably do most of the quilting on them with my new BFF George. And thanks for your encouragement, Bonnie, but I'm really not expecting any ribbons. I feel as if I have won already just by having my work juried into this show. I appreciate all your interest & comments. Maybe I'll meet some of you face to face at the show? Nancy

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY is just beautiful, beautiful, beautiful

and your poem and cartoon strip is just too funny.

we can express ourselves so uniquely throught our quilting why would anyone ever want to do anything but!!! Great work keep it up and keep being you! We all add so uniquely to the group and that is what makes it so great. Jeanne

Hellooooooo all!:)

Here you will find a list of all finalists of the Houston Show....

http://www.quilts.org/awb-finalists.html

I found a lot of well known names;) out of this chat!

You have to be "my eyes" , too when you are walking throug the exhibition as I won´t be able to come to Houston this year:(

:(:(

And...if you have a chance....please take a picture of my "Parrot´s Island" ;):cool:

Have a great day....

Claudia

Archived