My First Cyanotype Wholecloth Trapunto Quilt

Well... I have finally completed my first quilt for myself. Its a Wall hanging measuring 44x36.

I was introduced to an alternative photographic process called cyanotypes also known as blueprints. By coating paper or fabric with a UV sensitive chemical, an image can be produced by exposing the prepared media to UV light. After making my first cyanotype on a small 8 inch by 10 inch cloth I became intrigued by the possibility of making a larger cyanotype to be ultimately turned into a whole cloth quilt.

This was a project for my photo class due on the 3rd of December. I used three separate enlarged photos. One of the sky and clouds and the other two of some statues at school.

I hope i get an A

post--13461901177069_thumb.jpg

I was so privileged to see this in person, and it is quite stunning.. ahem Kelly.. the binding.. It doesn't show.. LOL.. hmm gotta bind to make more than a mere A, you want an A++,, so binding, binding, strip binding. LOL Kick me..

Good Luck, and remember, the show, the show. :P :P :P

RitaR

Kelley has been obsessing, I mean working on this quilt for weeks now.

(Rita - he did a beautiful job on the binding - he ripped all my stitches out and did it himself --- he has way more patience than I do)

There are a few quilt artists who use the Cyanotype process. I kept calling it the cyanide quilt 'cause I couldn't figure out how to pronounce it.

The two figures in the quilt were made from photographs of statues on the UNCG campus. The bottom right is a photograph of the back of Minerva - the goddess of wisdom (I think). The other photograph is the back of a statue of a guy named McIver - one of the first chancellors of the Univ.

After he quilted the rays from the center, we've been calling it the "Outer Space Quilt". BTW - if you want to suggest a name for the quilt, I'm sure Kelley would appreciate it!

Hopefully, the K Man will graduate next semester and he can figure out what he wants to do when he graduates. Right now, the last semester of Japanese is holding him back. Maybe he will get the quilting show bug....and write the million dollar book about quilt shows and guilds!

Very cool! (no ideas for a name, though) Love the rays! So the blue is the clouds?

I would ask for an explanation of the process but I would probably get that same look on my face as when DH starts explaining something about the car. I just smile and nod (and really don't have a clue!)

Joanne, um as for names, "Going in" "suckered in" "Into the unknown" or down the hole??

um could come up with a lot more.. follow the blue mottled road..

lol... how come he didn't show the binding???

disobbsessed, Kelly.. it's hard to live with.. more constipation , or is that consecration, or concentrations? on the foreign language

LOLOL.

RitaR

Thank you sooo much for the positive response. I took this picture before the binding was put on. The quilt was still wet and hanging to dry. As soon as i get home, i'll take another picture and replace this one. This is my prototype. My next whole cloth will be at least twice this size with more trapunto and color. When i decided to make a cyanotype quilt, i wanted it to be something outside of what was already being done. I looked to the internet for inspiration and found nothing on whole cloth cyanotype quilts and with that, i decided to devise a method that would allow a large photograph to be applied to a whole cloth without piecing. It took several tries and lots of experimentation to get what you see here.

Wow that is really cool. :cool:

It's "Ichiban" and "kampai"

As far as titles go, the first thought that came to my warped and twisted imagination was "Beam me up, Scotty."

(I'm totally joking!):P

...and then (seriously) I thought of "Into the heavens." I like that title a lot. :)

Thanks for sharing your beautiful work. It really is interesting and makes us stop and look further (which is what you want!).

Kelley, what type of degree will you receive when you graduate?

Originally posted by KelleyJones

yes...but it is a contact print. I had to make a Very large negative to lay over the cloth. I'll post a picture of the negative later this evening. The quilt is the same size as my negative.

Oh Holy Macaroni! That sounds like a production for sure.

Okay, here's my twisted side showing. I like (for a name) "You go first". :P

Archived