It's Official....

I am excited and nervous! The new addition to my family is here and it seems to be saying,"OK, girl, pull up your big girl panties and get on with the quilting already yet!!" I am wanting to be successful with this even if I only do my own quilts, but I am finding "Ivy",my Green Millennium, to be most intimidating. Just sits there....waiting.....I promise to work with her(PPP)this evening. You heard me say that, right? Sally in cold NE Ohio

Put some muslin on her and get going......don't look back. Take it from someone who's been procrastinating for three years. As Ann Henry said "You don't have to be perfect to start. You have to start to be perfect." That sure gave me the boot that I needed.

Now get going..........:):):) Breathe and have fun!

We've all been where you're at, Sally, so don't worry about it. All of us, when we're just starting out, think, "I'll NEVER get the hang of this!" But, sooner or later, we do get the hang of it. Put some inexpensive (not cheap - it's actually harder to quilt on at times!) fabric on your Ivy and just play. Get the feel of your baby - don't try anything fancy, just get acquainted. And remember, the local pound or vet's office can always use your practice pieces for cage liners - the animals don't care if your circles are square!:P No one else has to see your first baby steps. And it won't be long till you're posting photos here on the chat, showing off your work......

Sally,

LOL we certainly have all felt that way at some point! You can do it! Like you said pull up those big girl panties and give her a go! Don't worry if it isn't perfect just start the dance and before you know it you will be creating beautiful quilts! Give yourself time to get to know each other but jump in with both feet! There are lots of experts on this board that will run to your rescue if you need it. Let us know how it goes tonight!

OK. First you talk nicely to Ivy and pat her on the head and promise that you'll always treat her well, and keep her belly (bobbin) clean, oiled and running smooth. If she's anything like my Madame Madeline Millennium, she only wants to please you. Really, she won't bite, and she's willing to try new things, too. Take little baby steps. Before you know it, the romance will be in full swing and you'll be madly in love and never want to leave her.

Aaaahhh! :)

Getting your feet wet and fast is the only way to get past your Jitters.....it won't be perfect the first time...so don't even go there or worry about it...have fun. AND Breath....don't forget to breath, unless you are close to one of us we can't get to you before tomorrow and passing out isn't an option....:P;):P

Sally, what they don't tell you is that when they pack any long-arm machine they include a virus just before they seal the box. The second the box is opened, the virus attacks the quilter. It makes you nervous and afraid. Sometimes a second virus is in the box - the stupid virus. Your fingers fumble, your breathing gets labored and you brain just forgets any prior knowledge of sewing you ever knew. Luckily, the viruses subside before long and you get back to feeling normal. But you should beware, at any moment, when you least expect it, you could have a relapse and go through some of the same symptions a second or third time. We have all had it and there are no meds to help you through it - although a nice bottle of wine might help! Congrats.:P:P

how true it seems everyone of us has had the same fears to get started. We wait and wait for our delivery, get it all set up and then we just behold the beauty of the whole thing not being able to believe our eyes. Yes this wonderful machine belongs to us and we just look at it as if it is going to start working by remote control or something. Get in there and turn it on, listen to her purr and jump in the drivers seat and take off. You will be so amazed how the time will fly. I find myself still working at midnight and not wanting to go to bed. Trouble is I still have a full time job and have to get up by 6:30 to get ready for work. Ugh, I regret those mornings alright but guess what it doesn't stop me from doing the same thing all over again. Have a great time and don't let that girl intimidate you. I am WOMAN HEAR ME ROAR!! Jeanne

Everything the others have written above is true - we've all been there. Its scary, wonderful, first date jitters, makes you swoom and no cure. You'll think you need to seek a 12-step program for the addiction, but can't tear yourself away from (in your case) "Ivy" to get to a meeting. SO stop in this forum and chat with us other addicts, we'll take care of you. Oh and please remember WE LOVE PICTURES!

Oh boy, you've certainly brought back memories, and every word you've stated is true! I think I had a virus relapse just reading about it. My other symptoms were forgetting to breath, and finding my shoulders somewhere near the top of my head. A little anxious, perhaps?

My girl is 2 1/2 years old now, but I've currently got 3 dogs beds to go out to the shelter. Makes the dogs happy, makes my girl and I happy, and remember, dogs are color blind, and can't see ugly fabrics.

Keep us posted.

Hey Sally!! Another Buckeye here!! Welcome!! I remember when I put my first little baby quilt on I kept making excuses not to start.....had to check this.... had to find that..... oh... the laundry is done... :D And it was a quilt that I had made, not even for a customer! I went through 2 bolts of 108" muslin the first month and half or so!! (I used my 40% coupon from JoAnn's) Put some practice stuff on and GO!! You'll have a blast!! linda

Archived