Irish Chain with Terry Twists---w/pic

Just off the frame is this wedding quilt pieced by my best friend. My quilting is her granddaughter's wedding gift from me.

Looks kinda sweet but ordinary from the front--busy fabrics, a friendly border that needed piano keys, and the standard TTs that work so well on an Irish chain. (Those are Terry Twists for novices--an S-curve done as a continuous line all the way through the pieced squares.)

Recent posts have been talking about imperfections that we as quilters agonize over picking out cuz we are not happy with the outcome. I will next post a pic of the back...

post--13461900860146_thumb.jpg

Ok fellow quilters--here is the back. I can see every place that I went wide or cut short!--but all of that melds together as a nice pattern. Give yourself a break and step back to look--you will be so happy with the "whole picture" rather than an up-close wobble that does not really matter.

That's my advice-by-example! But don't ask to see my first quilt--no way!!

post--13461900860442_thumb.jpg

It's beautiful, Linda! And, I like that you made it an example -- a positive example!!!

I have a double wedding ring quilt on my frame now that a very good friend paper pieced for her daughters wedding gift. I did a Continuous Curve in the rings and will do some sort of heart design in the centers. The backing is a really nice Ecology Cloth and you can see EVERY stitch! So, thank you for posting that even though I can see every near miss, in the long run, it won't matter.

I love the fact that your customer will also do some hand quilting on the quilt. That's sweet. :)

Yes, thank you very much. This is beautiful and it made me feel so much better. Of course I can't see a single flaw, but I do see every one in my own work. Thanks for reminding me to look at the big picture. :D

p.s. - I love this quilt, I must make an Irish chain some day. I love the hearts in the middle too.

Great job Linda

I love the Terry Twists. I can't wait to try it out for myself. It just seems so much fancier than sid and yet is really easier, I think? Not really sure as I haven't tried the Tt yet. bu thanks for posting and I think it is wonderful. And your hearts are wonderful too. Jeanne

Linda, that is gorgeous. I am doing a quilt right now (Shana gave me some great ideas for it) that is all dark on the top and the backing is white! and I am petrified that it won't turn out nice and neat on the back. You did such a wonderful job.

Lib

Thank you all for the kind comments!! Great for the ego!

Everything was freehand on the quilt.

I used my channel locks for the piano keys--man, you can get FAST with those after 20 or 30 feet !!

The twists were also freehand--no rulers. Hence the "creative" little sausage shapes here and there!

Being comfortable with CCs and having the pathway planned out is of great help with the TTs. I placed pins at intersections where I did not want to go past so I could easily get back to the starting place. As far as the shape of the twists, I really exaggerated the S-curve and it worked pretty well.

Again, thanks for the compliments--they mean the world to me!!

Vicki in Virginia--TTs are done using the same pathway as CCs--those are an arc between seam intersections. The twists start with a bump and swoop in an S-shape along the seam line to the next intersection. Do all TTs either clockwise or counterclockwise. You can find a pathway "map" on line--and Dawn Cavanaugh had a great article in Fons and Porter's magazine showing how to travel across a top using CCs. Practice on graph paper and you will PPP your way to continuous curves and Terry Twists!

TT rulers are a great idea, but practice will get you there if the pieced squares aren't too big. Three inch squares would probably be the largest I would attempt freehand. Bigger squares would call for some kind of aid for me.

Archived