Just managed to slice the entire side of my finger off with the roary cutter!!

Off course I would be on my own and could not get it to stop bleeding. Most definitely needed stitching but one side was so close to the nail bed that I could not see how.

Anyway after an hour and a half of pressing it together it eased enough for me to tape it together and bind it up. It has throbbed all night. In the drama of it all I forgot to take my ring off and can't now. Hopefully it won't swell anymore.

Where were you all in my hour of need :P

ps sorry to all those squeamish out there!

When I lived in Utah, a friend's daughter attended a local high school. One day, she went into her Home Economics class where a girl had sliced off a piece of her finger in the previous class. The girl had been taken to the hospital, but the pad of her finger was still lying on the cutting mat. Needless to say, the high school girls were very shaken up.

Colleen

I feel your pain, Chris, literally! I sliced the tip of a finger off a few years ago and couldn't believe the pain the lasted quite a long time. A friend told me it was because there are so many nerve endings in the fingertips.

I sure learned my lesson. I was demonstrating a technique to a friend at the time. Now I make myself concentrate on what I'm doing. So many times I'm tempted to rotary cut while on the phone, but then I remember why it's not a good idea. In my case, I think I missed the edge of the ruler and the blade was on the ruler and slid into my finger. I started making myself take a little backward motion before cutting (hard to change habits, though).

Enough about me, though....hope you mend soon!!!

Chris, I feel your pain. Last year I did the same thing, except that I cut off a 45 degree piece with nail included. At first when I saw something flying (it took a few seconds for me to feel it) I though "darn it, I just miss cut my fabric", then I heard it hit the cutting table. Bled like crazy. One thing to do to help slow the bleeding, is put pressure on it and hold your hand above your head, or at least above your heart. Don't put it under water. My finger throbbed for a least a day and it was months before the finger nail grew back correctly. I am usually the rotary cutter police. Whenever some newbie comes to learn quilting I go on about the importance of safety. Then I go a slice off part of my own finger. At least I had my priorities right, I was more concerned about miss cutting my fabric, then I was afraid that I had bled on it.

Dianne

Ouch, the thought makes me cringe. I'm bad about paying attention to my rotary cutter, expecially with the blade guard.

I'm thinking as a quilter, we all should have up to date

tetnus shouts (pins, needles, blades, etc). LOL, we are involved in a very dangerous hobby.

I cut my finger bad enough to need 4 stictches! It of course happened on guild nite-guess what MY show & tell was! LOL - they kept calling on me during the meeting as they tought I had a question as the DR. wrapped it up and told me to keep it elevated! Oh BTW I hold the record in my local guild with 4 stitches-2nd place went to another member with 3. LOL It hurts no matter how many .....:(

I'm so sorry. :( I've had hand surgery on 2 of my fingers and they throbbed for a good 2 weeks, day and night. Not fun at all. I've never hit my fingers with the rotary cutter (knocking on wood here) but I sliced right thru one of my zippers that I didn't see on my messy cutting mat area. I now clear off the cutting mat before cutting anything. I hope the Dr can help you and at least get the tetanus shot.

Archived