Another Update on floodwater

Hi everyone

Well the water has finally arrived, hope you enjoy the photos. We are still dry inside the house but as you can see the yard is a little damp.

2749753620104476957S425x425Q85.jpg

2689764950104476957S425x425Q85.jpg

2995510110104476957S425x425Q85.jpg

I sure could use some of Barb's fudge about now. I don't even have a chocolate in the house so I guess will have to drink more coffee today. The emergency services have told us the water is still rising.

Will keep you posted

Karen

Dory,

The tennis was in Melbourne where I am. We have had days of hot dry weather...no rain in sight & 45c (about 115 to you).

Karen is waaaaay up north & things are pretty bad. The roads are cut & lots of people are stranded. On the news reports they were even

talking about crocodiles swimming through the main city streets. That can't be good!

We just wish we could have a little bit of the water down here as we are in the grips of a drought!

Stay safe & dry Karen!:cool:

The second photo is taken from my front yard looking across the road, since I took those photos this morning the water has risen another 12 inches. We are in a high set house and the water under the house is up to our knees.

The scary thing is we are on the top of the hill and there are a lot of houses down the end of the street that have more than 6 feet of water inside.

We have only lived here for 5 years so definitely not used to it. Apparently in the "BIG" 1967 flood there was only 2 inches under our house and we have certainly surpassed that.

Dory I live in Far North Queensland between Townsville and Cairns and this is our wet season, lots of tropical storms and cyclones.

My daughter (who is a chef) has decided to bake cakes this afternoon, we still have power so that's good.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers, will keep you posted

Karen

PS Just have to figure out how to take the dogs out for a walk (ha ha)

Karen,

I got a chuckle out of your statement that the front yard was a little damp:o...It looks more like flooded, drenched and very other soggy word available and definitely more than a "little damp". I know it is a serious situation so stay dry and safe. If I had fudge in my house and we were neighbors, I'd wade your way to share.

Take care

Cheryl

Hi Karen, Satu from sunny Melbourne here

Wouldn't it be great if you had a big old plug that you could pull out and drain all that water from your place to Victoria/South Aust. It's all down hill when you look at the map :P

So very dry here. I'm bucketing gray water on to my roses trying to keep them alive. Ok, enough sillyness...back to quilting

keep dry

It is now 8pm and we have had another 8 inches of rain today with another 12 inches forecast for tonight.

Lucky DH is home because I am really starting to panic, we had moved everything in our downstairs storeroom up high and had to move it higher again.

We thought our cars would be safe but unfortunately all three have water in them so we will just have to assess the damage when the water subsides.

I have been trying to do some hand sewing but just can't concentrate.

The emergency services have started to evacuate people to higher ground and there are about 200 houses at present with water in them.

One of my little dogs followed us downstairs and got a shock when the steps gave way to water and he found himself trying to swim, at least we were able to laugh even if only for a short while.

I am just praying that tomorrow the rain will ease although the authorities have said that it may take 36 to 48 hours for the water to subside if it ever stops raining.

The news tonight said it is the worst flood in over 50 years and more bad weather to come.

I guess we are in for another sleepless night

I am holding all your prayers and thoughts in my heart as we try and get through this.

Karen

Thanks for the offer Susanne, if only I could get out of my driveway.

It is now 10am and the rain has eased a lot, DH just checked under the house and the water has dropped 2 inches, we thought that was worth celebrating.

A friend just phoned me and the local council is starting to drop bread and milk to houses that are cut off.

Lets just hope that ex cyclone Ellie does not reform and head back to the coast.

DH is trying to keep me occupied as he knows that my absolute pet hate is dirty clothes in the hamper, I love doing the laundry and clothes all dry and ironed and folded, don't know where he has hidden the laundry hamper but I know it is somewhere.

Will keep you all up to date on the dramas

Karen, we'll stay with you and hope you are comforted by our vigilance in prayer. I'm glad to hear that you can laugh (the dog incident). I know what it's like living in Oregon and the constant drizzle of rain we have seasonally. But 6-8-12 inches in one day is too much. Got chocolate yet?

Hi everyone

It is now 5pm on Thursday and the rain has stopped and the water has started to recede. We have been able to hose under the house and now have dry cement. Spent most of the day cleaning up and drying out cars, will try to start them tomorrow otherwise it is a tow job to the fix it man. The only water remaining in our yard is up to our ankles at my front gate. Water is still in the street with houses at the bottom our street having up to 10 feet of water in them and we have 10 foot ceiling height in our houses to give you an idea.

It has been wonderful being able to write this all down and tell someone what is happening here.

We are just holding out breath tonight that a cyclone sitting off the coast does not intensify and head towards us, spoke to an emergency services man today and he said if that happens we are in big trouble.

Will keep you all informed and hopefully it will be more good news.

Thank you for listening

Karen

Archived