to trim or not to trim, that is the question

Helen G

Only if I was asked...because a lot of my customers rolled the back up to create the binding...

No I didn't charge for it...it was easy for me to do as I have a 4'x8' cutting table, and a lot of them didn't even have a livingroom big enough that they could stretch out the quilt onto the floor.

I have done this service in the past free of charge, most of my customers are older and don't have the space to trim them themselves.

However a few months back I stopped doing the trimming because I was going through rotary blades so fast (1 new blade would last for 2 large bed quilts) and whenever the batting was polyester the blade dulled even faster.

So from a financial business point of view I have stopped. But a few of my customers asked if I would consider doing it again for a fee...which I might, perhaps $10 per quilt this way it would cover the blade and give me a little extra for my time.

One very experienced quilter has that question on her intake sheet and lets the customer decide. I trim all quilts for my customers except one who wants to trim her own, everyone else loves that it arrives ready for the binding. I do not charge for this service. BTW - I've received tips($$$) for doing this because is it so appreciated.;)

I always ask first, and they almost always say please trim for me. I don't charge but then I don't charge for squaring a back either. I have yet to have a square back come into my shop so I just figure it is part of what quilting

Unless you discuss this with your customer, I would not trim the excess. After trimming, there should be enough batting remaining to fill the binding. If you don't know the width or type of binding your customer will apply, you might trim the excess too close and then the binding becomes problematic. Just my opinion...Nancy in Tucson

I price my batting by the square yard. Since I carry the 124" WW and WN, usually there is quite a lot left over in length. I trim just the batting and leave an inch or two on the quilt. I always ask the customer if they want the batting leftover or not. If not, I trim. I do not trim the whole quilt unless asked to do so. It seems everyone has their own way of trimming, leaving a little to stuff the binding. I would charge a little just for the blade use and time.

You have a great thread here and we hope your question has been answered. Now you make the decision for yourself.:)

I don't trim - scares me. honest. I let my customers know this the first time they bring a quilt. All I would need to have happen is one slip of the blade or have the quilt edge folded under by mistake. Yikes. However, I do trim for elderly clients - and I do offer to do it for them at no charge. I will trim for a first time quilter - on a very large quilt. Showing them how I do it and instructing them not to clip the threads on the side until the binding is on.

I do like it better trimmed. Just too cautious to do so. Same with trimming threads off the quilt top. I explain to the customer they need to take care of this because it would only take one slip of my sissors.....

• 1 month later...

This is something I always check when a quilt comes in.

Almost everyone asks me to run around the edge with my overlocker but purists will argue that the edge is a bit flatter so the binding won't be so bulked out (easier to handle, though). I don't charge for this as it is quick and easy.

If asked not to trim, I'll just use scissors to cut about an inch away all round so it just looks tidy.

I have always squared up customer quilts. It never occurred to me that they would want to roll over the back to the front. Yikes!!!! I do it because I personally want to see what the quilt will look like almost finished and it always looks to neat and tidy on the hanger. I will have to make sure to ask people first from now on. :) ....luckily no one has said anything to date......

I normally trim off free. It looks neater and the customers usually do not have the space to cut . And it is ready to bind when it is received. I do ask what kind of binding method there is going to be on it. But normally they want me to bind it.

Archived