Guild Owned Longarm Quilting machine?

Our small quilt guild (25-30 quilters) received a gift today from a member's family. She passed away a couple of weeks ago and started quilting with us a little over 6 months ago.

Here goes:

The gift was a monetary donation to purchase a longarm quilting machine for the guild to own. This is still sinking in for the members that know about it. :P

First of all, we were told that more money wouold be coming in a 2nd installment. As of yet, we do not know how much money we will have to spend on a system, so we aren't going to start looking..yet.

Here is my question.

What things do we as a guild need to consider in owning a longarm?

I have thought about:

- Insurance on the machine...as we do not have our own facility to keep it in...it was offered to go in a guild members seamstress shop.

- Maintenance issues...oiling, cleaning, etc

- Parts such as needles, etc

- Zippered leaders for multiple users?

- Teachers for how to use the machine, load, quilt, etc.

I can't even think anymore.

We are a very small group...good friends...lots of great members...this gift is HUGE!

4 of us are going to present a list of "things to consider" at our next guild meeting (read LUNCH!!)

Please give me your thoughts and input as we need to make an educated decision on the possible purchase of a machine for the guild. Thanks everybody. I am looking for anything and everything.

The first thing that comes to my mind is where is it going to be set up. As you know, a longarm takes up plenty of space and someone has to give it a home. Once it is in someone's home is that person going to be agreeable to let others come into their home to use the machine?

I know others will come up with other questions to consider, but this seems like something major to consider. Once it is set up, you can't easily move it to each member's home for a week at a time;)

And when something does go wrong - which we all know it will - who will take the responsibility - you can't have everyone working on it...... Also, how does one figure a schedule for quilting - we all know that things take longer than we anticipate.

What a wonderful gift - but many thorns could be accompany........ good luck.

Hello Kristina,

How many Charity quilts could be pieced and quilted with the money instead of buying a machine?

Although this is a fantastic gift, there is a minefield of complicationsto be considered. If the children of this quilter want to leave a legacy for their mother's memory, perhaps the moeny could be entrusted to somehow enable charity quilts to be made that would/could be presented by the quilt guild once a year in her name, on a date that is significant to this woman and her children. It could cover the costs of material and quilting by a local quilter. Perhaps the charity quilts are quilts for a neo-natal unit of a local hospital, cuddle quilts for a Hospice, quilts for premmie babies or sick children. It could be a yearly Raffle quilt with money raised to go to a charity that would mean something to this Lady and her family.

If the money is put into an interest bearing account, it would also grow and allow for more quilts to be made/quilted.

In your opening post, you already pointed out a lot of problems that could arise. There are other threads that consider the pros and cons of renting out longarm machines, which also discuss the problems of having un- or undertrained people dealing with these huge machines.

As others have pointed out, there is the cost of insurance of the person using the machine and the machine itself to be considered, which will be a yearly additional cost, the availability for all members of the Guild to utilise the machine, the ability to store it, so it is available when members want to use it, the responsibilty of who maintains the machine, who will train members to use it, the responsibility to choose what machine to purchase in the first place etc etc etc.

I don't want to sound negative. It is a wonderful gift and gesture by this Lady's family , but it is also fraught with a lot of pitfalls. Your guild has a great many decisions to make (and it should prove interesting what a group of 25 - 30 quilters can come up with;):P). However, you should be able to get more than just one Lunch out of this!!:D:);)

Regards,

I think this an incredible gift, but I also agree with Susanne that there could be many pitfalls. I would wonder if this gift has to be followed to the exact specifications. I would be inclined to talk to the family and their lawyer to explain that this may not be best for the guild but that a compromise is workable that may stick closely to what the guild member intended. Such as the ideas stated above regarding putting the money into the supplies for charity quilts and getting them quilted by local longarm quilters.

I think if the guild goes ahead and gets a machine, there needs to be a lot of things put in writing....one of them being that if the guild were to fold ~ what happens to the machine...ie: sold with the proceeds going to charity, auctioned to the highest bidder in the guild, etc.

When I first got my Liberty, it was done after considering owning it in a partnership. That idea didn't work out...and I'm so glad! I don't know how it ever would have worked out satisfactorily. So, I can't see how this would work either...but that's my opinion. I'm sure there are those out there who could prove me wrong:), but it wouldn't be for me.

Kristina,

What a great gift from the family. I'm sure it is their way of keeping her love of quilting going on and will mean so much to them to know that because of her others are able to use a real quilting system.

I do agree that you will have some issues to work out but hey I'm sure you can do it! I would make sure to address times that it can be used, how long it can be used, sign-ups for use, etc. Will it only be used for charity work or can members quilt their own quilts on it? Will somebody take on the responsibilty like those that sign up to do block of the month or charity quilts or many of the other volunteer positions?

I can see all the pitfalls, but I can also see how it can work. If the machine belongs to the guild then the guild needs to talk to an attorney to figure out about it's liability if someone gets miffed and causes trouble for some reason. I think that the cost of insurance and tools, replacement parts servicing the machine if some thing happens, all those misc. things should come from a fee that the users have to pay to use the machine. I'd make it a per use fee, if it takes 3 visits to complete a quilt then so be it. These funds could also be used to get teachers in specificly teach users to operate and maintain the machine. I would require anyone who wants to use the machine to take this class, maybe charge them a seperate fee from the user fees. Everyone should supply their own thread, rullers, templates, and batting. I would set up a guild website with a calendar so everyone can see when the machine is booked and limit bookings to one a day. Elect three people to take care of bookings and logging them into the calandar. If it.s going in the shop of a seamstress then she is running her own business and should not be saddled with helping users, or figuring out why their thread is breaking, and she should not have to pay to use the machine although she should have to book the machine like everyone else. Decide if the machine is only available during her regular business hours.

It could work, but there should be a signed agreement to all the rule, be no exceptions to the rules, and anyone who doesn't like the rules can just walk away without recourse. Period. That's why there can be no exceptions to the rules, how can you make a stink over something that is being equally applied to everyone?

This is all I can think of right now. This is way cool, I sincerely hope it works!

Must come up with a $$$ figure that will cover all the cost and considerations to all aspects with this gift. Need to have some idea of the need to make $$$ to cover cost and make a profit to help cover extra expenses that arise. Maybe some of the shop owners with a rent-a-machine can give you some cost and pitfalls and profits that arise.

Keenan100 had some good points. All guild members using it would be responsible for the supplies needed for using on their quilts, that would also include them purchasing their own zippered leaders.

You could also use the fees to pay a small stipend to one or two members to accept the maintenence/care responsibilities. You would also need to address the hours that it is available in the seamstress' shop.

Take your time to really work out details and have it pay for itself, or the guild budget would be responsible for those costs. If it comes from the guild budget, be sure that all are aware that their dues are going for it even if a person isn't using it at all.

Have a fun time dreaming and getting the dream to fulfillment.

I think I would recommend that there be a charge (small) to use it even tho the machine is free. That "Fee" could be put into an account to keep up with maintenence/shipping it in for service and such. Also, if the guild really puts it to use the money could eventually be used to buy extra toys like rulers, CL and such. I don't want to throw hot water here but I can see a split in the guild if things aren't handled properly and I can see many hard feelings.

Kristina,

The first thing I thought of is this:

Making sure that everyone in the guild is "trained" on the machine.

Maintenance and all. Who will be responsible for ensuring the machine will be ready for the next guild member to use.

I guess that would depend on what brand of machine you all get. Who's got the most

knowledge about that brand of machine, etc.

Just a thought....and something to consider. (unless you ALL are LA's) of course.

Sorry, mostly I see the problems because people get selfish. I like the idea that Suzanne had about making charity quilts. The other thought is to establish a scholarship or grant for a young person, in 4H or some other program, to learn about quilting by making, creating or helping others quilt. I think if one wants to leave a legacy the one of the best places is to invest in our youth and to nurture them.

To keep things on the level, unbiased and fair, I think you need to consult a 3rd party;;; a professional who can advise you on how to establish this part of your guild. What I mean is, talk with someone for legal advice and get it all in writing so it is agreed upon. I know...yes, a lawyer costs $$ but in the long run it is well worth it for piece of mind. (Use her donation $$$ for legal consulation and establishment). Plus the lawyer might know other things you have to consider. Doing this will help alleviate any fears, misunderstandings and get you started on the right track so this doesn't turn into a giant dramatic mess. One thing I think needs to be done is to set up a (trust??) account that holds money to cover annual maintenance, supplies, repairs, insurance, training, education, books, tools, etc. for the future. You can draw from this account when you need to. Gotta have some $$ stashed away in case needed.

This is a wonderufl gift and meant with the best intentions. Give her gift the respect it deserves and get legal advice and set this up properly and legally so no mysteries lie out there to mess it all up.

WONDERFUL NEWS!! Celebrate! :)

Here is the biggest problem I am seeing...place for the machine. As of right now, we meet in the basement of a local church. Not enough room for us quilters to set up for our meetings. The seamstress has 2 dogs in her shop...one of them is not very friendly. The guild president offered her house...but she is gone out of town alot!

The four of us put in charge of this endevear to choose a machine for the guild are split in our thinking. I must add, that none of us asked to be on the committee. We feel we have nothing to gain from the purchase of a longarm. One lady will certainly lose business. Myself and another already have machines and won't need to use this one.

3 of us think we need a place for the machine to be that is accessible (24/7) to all members...and would rather use this money towrds charity quilts or helping out with obtaining a place for us quilters to meet.

1 of us thinks that we absolutely have to spend the money on a mahine as the family wishes, with no regards as to where it goes, or maintenance, etc.

Insurance and maintenance are other drawbacks as I see it. 3 of us who already own midarms/longarms, know how this all works. I am not going to maintenance another machine that I will not be using, nor teach others how to use it, thus taking away even more time from my family and my personal quilting. 2 others agree with me.

Thanks for the input so far ladies. Please feel free to add to what has already been discussed. We are very small with very limited resources (non profit too). Right now we are all friends, and no troubles between us except for the meeting place. Some don't like the particular church and will not donate money towards it, while others feel cramped and don't enjoy quilting in tight quarters.

Is this really a gift...or a curse? I say the latter. I hope I am not rambling here. Thanks again!

The thoughtfullness of the family is wonderful. However, I see it as only a way to turn friends into enemies. Partnerships on things are best not done with friends. I know several people who tried partnerships between friends, it always ends up with hurt feelings.

Check out the legal implications. It doesn't really sound feasible, as their is no common place to put it. Some people may not want to quilt at the seamstress' shop due to dogs, allergies, etc. Timing, some people start quilting at 1 in the afternoon and quilt until midnight or whenever and that won't work either.

It is a wonderful idea, let me know if it works, but I only foresee broken friendships, etc. As for deciding what machine, everyone that owns one thinks theirs is the best, because it is for them. The only machine I could think of would be one that could be broke down like a Lenni or HQ 16, but then it has to be moved from house to house and lord only knows what will happen to it in transit and with an untrained person going at it, like a visitor, etc.

I just don't see how it would work. Give the family an option for a scholarship for someone to attend a quilting class from the group, done by drawing, etc. Or for charitable work. Approach the family and give an option of returning the funds.

Shirley

PS - No matter what you do someone will be unhappy!!!!

Wow. As I was reading this post the first thing that came to mind was "uh oh." Shirley is absolutely right when she said "No matter what you do someone will be unhappy." Like everyone said, it is a wonderful and thoughtful gift. Shana mentioned to talk to someone for legal advice. Great idea, but that's going to cost some money. Attorneys aren't cheap. I would plan on at least a couple thousand just for that. If it was me, I would suggest the money be given to a charity. Did the lady have any pets? If so, how about donating the money to an animal shelter? Or a homeless shelter to feed people in need. Or how about a women's shelter? There are so many charity groups out there that would benefit from the money. Especially in this economy. Be sure to let us know what you decide on doing.

With all the concern of the problems this could create. Wouldn't it be great to be able to share this money gift with a women's shelter and teach others how to sew and quilt. Think of the things that they could use in the shelter as their own therapy and self satisfaction with what they make with fabric. I could see a George quilting machine used there. Wouldn't take as much space and would be easier to have new people use it. The purchase of one or more dsm for the shelter would be good too.

Ah, what a way to make more friendships and not break up the old ones.

Hi Kristina,

My quilt guild received a donation, in form of a shortarm quilting system. As far as I know, it was a source of conflicts among few members. It was such that it was left in a garage or storage for months and months that we ended auctioning it among our members.

We converted the gift into cash, our guild being of charitable institutions status benefited by supplying various projects we are involved with such as:

Isolette (preemie quits for our 4 local hospitals)

QUILT of VALOR

Turtle Camp (a facility for terminally ill kids)

Bring national Quilting Teachers into the guild once a month (reduced class fees for members)

I hope and wish you the best on this blessing.

Corey

Hi Kristina,

I've been following this thread of messages, and thinking about what our guild's reaction would be to such a gift. We are a much larger guild, that deal with monetary donations and goods on a regular basis. We have a large Community Quilts project with a long time very generous Co-Ordinator in the position of handling all the materials and donations that comes under that particular heading. "Community Quilts Service Program" A long arm machine would be placed under that particular committees control.

Our guild consist of over 180 members. To retain our non profit status, and of course to serve our community we as members donate a great deal of time pursuing fabric and batting supplies that are washed, pressed, cut and assembled into quilts that are then donated to over 12 local organizations and some Military Service programs. Last year our guild made and donated over 1200 quilts to these various non profits.

We do already have a short arm machine, and that machine resides where our recently purchased fabric press is- (we love having that press)--at the Community Quilts Co-Ordinators home. Specifically in her garage where most of all our other supplies are too. She is very kind to do this, and she also enjoys her job! If anyone wants to help with the process of making community quilts between the times we do Quarterly Quilt-A-Thons at our guild meeting hall---they go to our Community Quilts Co-Ordinator's home and work there with her. She is in charge of all the equipment, and supplies. She has a committee of "helpers". The supplies and equipment such as the Fabric press, cutting supplies, and the short arm machine frame are ONLY USED for the Community Quilts program.

The members do not use this equipment for their own quilts.

If you do not have such a program in place, then yes, your guild and it's members have some issues to work out with this generous donation of money to buy a long arm quilting system. It sounds like you are more of a private organization of quilters similair to a "Mini group" or "Bee" rather than the traditional non prof. quilt guild. ? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what your guilds projects are.

Our quild focus is entirely on community service. Our new members and all members really--- are made aware of our guild goals which are to maintain our ability to bring some of the most well known quilting teachers for workshops once a month to our guild.

To offer our members access to one of the largest quilt guild libraries in No. Calif., and to maintain our mission goal of giving back to our community by making as many quilts as possible to donate to local organizations as needed.

If you have such a program in place, this is where the machine should be placed, used and maintained. If you don't have anything like this community service program in your guild you might want to suggest they start one and go from there. Hopefully you have such a person willing to house the machine, and oversee the program. I can't think of any other way to make such a gift work within a guild of even 10 members, let alone 35 or more. Best of luck. It will be interesting to see how this is resolved.

Oh dear, oh dear. I think the family is trying to do a wonderful thing to honor their loved one but considering all the potential pitfalls makes me shudder! Some great alternatives have been suggested here...I'd present them to your guild and the family. A friend and I considered going in together on a longarm and eventually decided that the 'partnership' would jeopardize our friendship so we both got machines. I think a guild-owned longarm is a war just waiting to happen. That's my 2 cents...wishing you luck with the decision, Nancy in Tucson

Our small guild made and donated 56 quilts last year to the AmericanHeroQuilts program. We do quite a few charity quilts for the foster care system here too. The thought that the family had in a longarm quilting machine was this: It allows us to get more quilts finished for charity, whatever...and to allow our members to finish there own quilts and not send them out for quilting.

I agree that the pitfalls, and considerations are outweighing the 'gift' in my mind. I will make suggestions as to donating quilts in her name, to a charity organization, or educating others and promoting the art of quilting. Thanks again ladies. I knew I could count on you.

Update:

The committee put in charge of this 'other things to consider'...has disbanded. We are still friends, but have decided to stay clear of this discussion with the other guild members. Sort of like letting the ship sink on its own if it comes to that. 2 guild members got irate with me thinking that because I already own a system that I probably don't want the guild to have one. Not true! Also, that since I taught myself to use my system, that the guild members should not have to be trained, they can learn like I did...with lots of practice. EXCEPT, if I did something to MY machine...it is just that...MINE!

I am back to sewing and quilting and what a relief to not have to have this headache anymore. WHEW!!:o

I do hope the guild makes the best educated decision. I am still part of the guild...but not involved in this decision to be made. ]

Just Quilting!!! And Loving it!!!

Archived