Anti Linda Applique quilt

Here's a quilt just the opposite of what Linda had to deal with..This is the most amazing machine embroidery/applique quilt I have ever seen..When the woman brought it to me to quilt I did everthing I could to get her to take it to someone else..I didn't want to touch it..She wanted it echoed around the embroidery/applique and I just said, "Not in my lifetime" but I couldn't discourage her and we settled on a stipple with a med meander in the batik sashing and border..We are not looking at the quilting on this, just the customers amazing work, she had 1,2,3 layers of stablizer under some of the areas and she had even bonded stablizer to the sashing and borders, UGH. So I suggested no addt'l batting but then changed my mind as she had a 1/4 inch gap between the blocks and sashing and borders...I did the unthinkable and suggested Dream Cotton Request, which I hate more than having a root canal :P..but it's so thin it worked out great.

post--13461901693285_thumb.jpg

I forgot to say that I thought I was going to have all kinds of problems with thread shredding and breaking and tension problems..but the thread never broke once and the tension was perfect from the get go..I may require my customers to bond stablizer to all their quilts from now on..it quilted like butter but it was a chore to move the machine as it was so thick.. I was worn out doing the stippling. I user Superior Bottom Line in the blocks and Superior Lava in the borders and sashing.

Hi Hester,

That is such a gorgeous embroidery quilt! You did a terrific job of quilting it. :)

My retreat buddy, Rita finished that quilt this year and showed it at our semi annual retreat.

It's a Judy Nowicki pattern from her machine embroidery collection. "Block Party" by Windy Hill Designs.

http://www.ericas.com/sewing/nowickisoft.htm

It simply stunning and the fabrics are just as important as the machine embroidery.

Your quilting is perfect for this particular quilt! :):):) I'm sure your client is going to love it!

I took a class a few years ago with a well known domestic machine quilter. She said that we have gone overboard and stipple and meander things to death. I'm sure glad I didn't listen to that part of her lecture. Sometimes, as in your case, that is what the quilt calls for. Sometimes we need to do something very simple so the quilt top itself (and the workmanship in it) can be showcased. As much as I love to see what feathers, McTavishing, etc does, I also love to see simple quilting in an exceptional quilt.

Wow! What a wonderful job--both of you! That is a partnership to treasure.

May I ask--the background fabric within the squares, is that cut away or appliqued on? It perfectly matches the configuration of the background and if she appliqued it on, your customer has a great eye for detail to match it all so precisely. I love her embroidery!

Your quilting design choices are perfect for this.

Archived