Is it just me? Now with pics!

I piece the perfect quilt. I love, love it. I put it on the frame with the highest of hopes. I have ppp and ppp on paper and on scrap fabric exactly how I want it to look. The first couple a swoops with the machine and - egads!!! I will have to skip on and frog that later! I make several more swoops and they look, well, ok. I continue and they don't get better - just ok. Now instead of having a wonderfully perfect quilt I have an sorta ok quilt. Now I am depressed because I have taken beauty down about 10 levels. Don't even want to finish it! :(:(:(:(:( This one shows the piano keys getting smaller so I frogged and will re-stitch.

2364000800103874934S425x425Q85.jpg[/url][/img]

This one shows the panto I am using off center although I used the center of the snowball and the center of the panto!!!

URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2107067950103874934MilntX]2107067950103874934S425x425Q85.jpg[/url]

These last 2 show that while I can make the leaves look fairly good I can't do it consistantly! The bottom one is awful.

2049636660103874934S425x425Q85.jpg

2493155920103874934S425x425Q85.jpg

Okay, I'm not sure what is making it look crappy, tension? control? But I do know one thing I've learned the hard way...you can't judge a quilt's appearance while it's still on the frame...PERIOD.

I cannot even count anymore the number of times I've seen SO many things wrong w/a quilt...the feathers were HORRIBLE....the panto didn't even look like I knew how to quilt (that's a recent one too) then I get it off the frame and I can't find the part I hated....seriously, can't even find it...And if *I* can't find it no one else will be able to either... Before you plug in the chocolate I.V. wait until you get it off and see if you still hate it.

Don't know if that helps but it's a good rule to remember. :P

After almost 400 customer quilts, I can tell you they all look sooo different at 10 inches away with a stong light on it, than when you can see the whole quilt. I too have made judgements about the terrible job I was doing on something then off it comes and I hear the angels sing! It's lovely!! Can it be??? Oh YEAH!!!;)

Sylvia...walk away and walk back and look at your quilt under nice lighting in the evening when you only see the effect of the quilting and not the quilting, itself. You will be so amazed. When I go into my studio at night and turn on the first light, my quilts look gorgeous. Of course, the brighter the lights get, the less gorgeous the quilts:D, but who is ever going to look at them under those bright lights?

Don't be so hard on yourself; and if you're using monofilament for SID, it won't ever show!

Just wait til you take that quilt off, fluff it, and stand back-----these quilters know what they are talking about! Don't be so hard on yourself. :( YOU are your worst critic.

And besides, take out your photo album and look at some of those quilts you did last year. I cringe when I see quilts I did two years ago. I made one for my MIL and every time I go to her house, I feel like grabbing that quilt and giving it to Goodwill.:P

Syliva, I've been there. I have this wonderful vision in my mind but it doesn't work out the way I pictured it. Like everyone else has said, once the quilt is off the frame it will look much better. I have a DWR that I've been practicing Victorian Feathers on. It goes on and off the frame quite a bit so I can work on other things. I remember when I first started it I didn't like the way the feathers were turning out but they got better. Now when I look at it, I can't figure out what I didn't like about those first feathers.

I can totally identify with you. I can't count the number of times I said "this will be a show Quilt!" and then.....ah well.

My husband and number 1 fan tells me it is because I try to be perfect, and I am finally realizing he is right. I try to be a Darlene, or Myrna, or some other machine quilting godess, it doesn't work! I have to be Monika, doing my thing and I know I am good, my customers love what I do with their Quilts and it is getting more elaborate all the time. So....don't worry and be happy. I am trying...........

I don't see anything wrong with the quilting in the body of the quilt, looks great! Agree, the photo may not show the piano border inconsistent. We are our worst critics, we know where we bobbled when making straight lines, etc. From a distance you can't tell, especially once it is washed and it puffs things up a bit. I keep telling myself more and more, Myrna's quote: if it can't be seen from a moving train, then it is fine. (I might not have it exact, but the intent is the same. )

Keep going, your quilt is looking awesome.

Sylvia...if you still don't like it when you are all finished...I will gladly take the quilt from you. I really think it is beautiful! From here in Nevada...via the internet...it truly looks great. I am certain it looks even better in person! ;)

You are doing fabulous quilting. Don't get down on yourself! Keep on stitching my friend! :D

Sylvia

I knew it the pictures look darn good to me. Your leaves, flowers and piano keys look very good. where is it that you see a problem. how about put it in paint and put an arrow where your problem is. I can't see anything but fabulous and I am wearing my glasses. If there is any wobble of the lines that we cant see in the pictures I am sure they wont show off the frame either. I would not frog anything on there so far.

Sylvia, honey, please don't take offense at this but.....in the words of my Grandma "stop shootin' yourself in the foot"....That is NOT horrible by ANY stretch of the imagination.. I do see/hear what it is that you're unhappy with, BUT since you have not yet become a robot (at least I haven't heard anything) and are still human and hence MOVE while you move (:P) perfection is not possible like it is w/a computer. Though I did see a computerized system dealer's byline that said "perfectly imperfect" like it was a good thing.

That being said...flowers/leaves and the like should not be perfectly uniform because they are flowers and leaves. :D

Piano keys are perfect for hiding imperfection and actually the center of the quilt is where I like to fudge them, though I often have to use the end cuz it's not until then I know I don't have the right spacing to make them fit correctly.

Your quilt is stunning. PERIOD. I do see what you don't like about the flower. I don't understand, you're using a panto to do it? If this is true I'd guess it's not centered somehow, it's just not anything I'd notice if you didn't point it out. The eye expects flowers to not be "perfect".

I hate to admit this, but your quilting is better than mine on my best day, but that doesn't keep me from hopping off the porch and trying to run w/the dogs (big or otherwise, I'm just stupid that way). And the great thing about this art form/industry is that the big dogs are SO welcoming they encourage to keep running even if you don't keep up.;)

You really are being too hard on yourself. Perfection is great to strive for if it keeps you aiming higher, but it's a real rock around your neck if not achieving it is holding you back.

You know how they say if you can't see it from the back of a galloping horse?....I just try and amend it so that "perfection" is from the back of a walking horse....It's what works for me and keeps me from getting discouraged and lets me continue to love what we do. If I had to BE perfect it would take all the fun out of it.

I really do understand the doubt. I deal w/it all the time if the quilt is not mine (or a family members :P) I think "Oh they're gonna hate it, I'll never hear from them again"...then they love it and hug me and tell me I worked magic...happy sigh....then I think "well the next one I might not be so lucky".....See, I do understand the self doubt....I just try not to let it make me TOO extra crazy.

When you get this one off the machine you will see the magic again. It IS beautiful.

Sylvia, I am so glad you posted pictures! They look great to me! I am still a "wannabe"...not even a "newbie" yet, and am hoping to order my dream machine this fall, but I have to admit that until I saw your photos, I was a little nervous, thinking "Oh no! I will ruin all the quilt tops I have been saving up!" If I can quilt like you do I will be happy happy happy! I am still in the research phase, watching dvd's and practicing on a whiteboard...my doodles are still awful!

But I was wondering.... if you're doing a panto from the back of the machine, and you're not happy with that flower not being perfectly centered in the snowball, would you be able to go around to the front of the machine and freehand echo another row of petals around, tapering off at the top where the stitching is closer to the seam to make it look more centered?....or is that not a good thing to do? just curious what you experienced quilters would suggest...

Looking at photos of all the awesome custom quilting on this forum makes a "wannabe" very intimidated! :)

HI Sylvia

Like Sharon I am still a wannabe too. I hope to get a Lenni in the summer or fall, fingers crossed. If I can achieve a 1/4 of what you have done I will be sew happy.

Your Quilt looks fabulous and your quilting looks great too. Little imperfections are what make us human, and like what others have said when you take it off the frame, you will not see them .It will be so beautiful.

Sylvia once its washed what you see as open and empty space will fall totally away, but if it bugs you that much go add a couple of more leaves in that area.

And the rest....well, the rest of us would like to have that problem trust me....you are being to hard on yourself....;)

Oh my goodness Sylvia. that is a gorgeous quilt. I totally agree with what Tracye told you. I wish I could quilt leaves like that, even if they weren't matching. Don't get discouraged. Believe what we tell you. I like Sharon's suggestion of going to the front of the machine and touching up if it is bugging you that badly but really don't think you need to. Even on a walking horse your imperfections, if you want to call them that, would be hard to spot.

Sending you a ((((((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))))))

Oooooohhhhh I love those 30's fabrics and the bowtie and the border, cornerstones! What a beautiful quilt! Did you say you made it yourself? This is a project just for YOU? What a treat!

Yup, you're being too hard on yourself, and I'm not the first person to say that. Believe me, if you were any more perfect, you could come run my computerized outfit! and you don't want that.

What kind of muslin are you using? I just bought some Premier Quilters Muslin at EESCO and I like the way it feels. It's a little better quality than the Star Muslin I have. I wanted something with a little more body and still look like muslin. Yours looks yummy.

Archived