Dumb question, I know! But....

It usually depends on what I'm doing as I tend to do things in a series, then switch.

For the microdrive handles, I had himself take mine outside, clamp the one end in a vise and take a hammer to the other end, to curve them up a bit more, right at the angle it curves. It helped the drag and gave a bit better visual.

when not using them, they come OFF.

Love your feathers and wish I could do so well.

RitaR

Rita, could you post a pic of your micro handles? I want to take a hammer to mine too. Why did they make them so long, I wonder? I have found that I usually only use the one on the left. My right hand stays on the upper handle. If I could shorten them by about 1/2" I'd be a happy camper.

Sylvia

You are right it sure is good for you or anyone else especially for the first time at the front. You did beautiful feathers, meandering and those little swirly jiggers up there on top.

I sure am jealous, I still have a long way to go on getting my feathers round and even and the backtracking wow that is really difficult for me. I will be posting a picture soon. Just finished that crosshatching and have to check to be sure I didnt miss anything before I take it all off. I love it, how about a picture of the whole quilt to see what it looks like. is this the 30 swap?

Great job keep up the good work. Fun isn't it?

Oh I take my extended base and micro handles on and off as needed. About 100 times on this last quilt . cant do ruler work with them on as you can't see and the crosshatch rulers work better without the extended base.

I do like you one hand on the micro handle and the other on the bar so I can be close to my stop button. I mostly do micro work without the SR.

I put my base on only when I use it also. I've raised my bar a bit so the base go under it a little while, but you can only raise the bar up so much before the bars don't align the brake grooves very well.

I see we got another little tease from your 30's exchange block quilt. I really enjoy seeing it, its looking great.

Thanks to all who have answered. The pictures, I'm afraid, look better than it does in person. I can see every mistake and there are many. I wonder how long one has to quilt before she/he is ready for a show quilt. Thanks for the kind remarks. I wish I could afford to take tons of classes so I could just quilt away without worry of the "uglies!" :) I am getting better with the base on. It takes some getting used to, I think! It may be too early to tell but I think my work might be better with it on.

I love what you did with that quilt. Feathers look great and I love those curls on the left of the first

photo. Lots of texture.

I take my extended base off when not doing ruler work. I have 3 different bases, one of the

light-weight ones is a snap to take off, another (which is quite heavy and larger) requires

raising the hopping foot to fit the base into place (hassle) and the other is light weight and

extra wide and easy to install for lots of horizontal ruler work.

I remove my mini-handles (like micro-drive) the second I am done with them. I have big hands

and I am constantly banging my knuckles into the drive especially in the flipped up position. Ouch.

Archived