Question for Circle Lord Experts (finally finished with pictures)!

Hawaii

I have a king-size quilt loaded for a friend of the family. It is an alternating nine-patch with a plain block (8 inches), set on point.

She would like this done yesterday and if it was a paying job (it's not) I would consider using the CL Feather wreath in the plain block and ruler work in the nine patch block. Not to be.

So, given the time constraint, which goes faster - edge-to-edge - CL Swirls or CL Baptist Fan?

Thank you, thank you, for your help with this!

Goos morning Barbara ---

I love both the Swirls and the BF. If she is more conservative, I would use the BF. I don't think you could go wrong with either but personally, I would use the BF. Everyone loves that. (they love both though) drats, I'm not much help huh?:( Both of these templates are fast and fun.

If your E2E is freemotion, that one is faster for me. I love to use several freemotion designs to fill up the entire available space before I roll the quilt. No adjusting back and forth or re-aligning for pantos or templates. I don't do pantos much anymore.

But a 9-patch alternating with an unpieced block would look terrific with the fans. Baptist fans are so traditional plus they are very forgiving of fullness in a quilt. If you want a fun or more younger look, I would go with the swirls.

Thank you, ladies!!! This is the GREATEST support forum!

I do love the Swirls and have NOT tried the CL BF on a quilt, yet. This young gal is an excellent piecer - maybe I will let her choose. The colors on this quilt are fairly muted and conservative, so I am leaning towards trying the BF.

Mahalo!

I have both pattern boards and the BF is faster for me to do. I also think they are more traditional, so might be more appropriate on the quilt you described.

I would have suggested doing the CL feather wreath in the plain, alternating blocks, and then maybe CCs in the pieced blocks. However, if that's not what your customer wants...then, my vote is the BF.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished with CL Swirls and overlapping swags in borders, but not without issues...

backing and batting cut the same size as quilt top (arrrgh!); batting poor quality (yuck!); backing not square :mad:: waving borders (pain and tucks).

The gal was happy, but I was relieved to get it out the door.

2113065580070690845S425x425Q85.jpg

waving borders:

2226846210070690845S425x425Q85.jpg

solution: overlapping swags (bought the rulers from Mary Beth)

2689269380070690845S425x425Q85.jpg

[2552162860070690845S425x425Q85.jpg

Thank you for all your suggestions and help!

Mahalo!

Even with the problems you were up against, it looks terrific Barbara! I love your CL Swirl. (yes, I'm still on the fence about the CL at this time) Especially when I free motion a quilt and wonder if I want to get that precise, but then I see your quilts and the brain debate starts all over again!:)

I really love the texture of this quilting too! With all the problems you had to solve with this quilt, one would never know by looking at it and seeing the professional job you've done. Congratulations!

All the beautiful quilts shown on this forum using the CL sure makes the CL very tempting -- especially with the July sale!!

Barbara...I guess, from the looks of things you don't need me to come to Hawaii anymore :( That's okay. The quilt looks great with the CL Swirls.

Linda, I had a hard time taking the leap, but I am so glad I did. For one thing, CL patterns are so "clean" when you stitch them on the quilt, very neat and symmetrical. If you are thinking of taking the leap, this is a good time.

Oh, and did I mention customer service? Top notch!!

Barbara, Aloha; even with the skin blemishes on that quilt, it is gorgeous and the wavy borders don't really show. you did a terrific job on that.

I used the spiral circles like you did, but mine were all the same size, on a QofV and it was gorgeous as that one is. I like your differences in sizes.. makes more interest in the top.

Good Job.

RitaR

Thank you, again, ladies, but CL Swirls truly is the "star" and so easy to do - if it was an edge to edge (no border treatments) that big quilt would have been done in a day. I do love my CL!

I bought the swag rulers from Mary Beth a while back. They are called Angelic Swags by Mindy Casperan and are cut and nested, each into 3 different sizes and shapes. http://atqsales.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5

If I did not have so many border issues, I probably would have used the CL Basic. I was going to piano key the borders to handle some of the fullness, but decided that overlapping swags would be more interesting and also take some of the fullness out.

2886325830070690845S425x425Q85.jpg

Archived