Ugh! Some people's customers...!!

I need to whine and snivel so please bear with my cry baby "Waaaaah!" :D

Back in November a lady wanted me to do a light custom job on her small quilt (it's about 40" x 60") She told me she had never followed a pattern before, never taken a quilting class, nor owned a quilting book. She did this quilt from a photo. I was a little nervous taking the job, but I did it. She told me she wanted the quilt to be poofy, so I told her we could do one big fat batting or layer two battings together. She wanted to do the two batts. So, she brings over her little quilt top and I do it for her. We look at the quilt and I tell her there is a little fullness in the piecing. She batts her eyes like she has no clue what that means (she is cluleless hence the no experience piecing before) So I take the quilt and do it for her. She loved it! This was November 2008.

Fast forward to July 2009, I get a call from her. She wants to put it in our local fair next month. Apparently (from what she explained to me) she has shown this quilt to some people and they commented on the poofiness and that this was not a good thing, so she shows it to several other longarmers in town asking why her quilt looks the way it does and they all tell her that her quilt is not worthy to put in the fair due to the quilt job I gave her. So yesterday she calls me unhappy with what I did with her quilt. She wants it ripped out and done over again. :( Ugh! First, I am a little angry that she did not call me first, and instead gets some other quilters in my town to look at her quilt. She refuses to mention any quilters names to me. She said that my reputation as a quilter will be ruined if she puts this quilt in the fair and it has me listed as the quilter. Ugh! OK, so I meet with her this afternoon and we look at the quilt. I explain about the two battings, and about the "light custom quilting" and I also mentioned her blocks are not exactly square and that all of these things may contribute to her "poofy" quilt.

So after about 10 minutes talking about it she says she is going to rip it out because she apparently is really proud of this quilt and wants it to go in the fair. OK. Well, I feel bad about the whole thing and gosh darned it I don't want her to ruin my name any more than she has already with this quilt.

So, I told her I would take it home and rip it out, and then I would do Bonnie's starch and steam to it to flatten it out as best I can and then quilt it again.

I was so mad I just went home and sat outside on my deck in the sun after work and ripped out the stitches. And, I also starched and pressed the dickens out of it so it's and ready for me to quilt (again).

Oh just to show you her piecing she's so proud of....here are some pictures. For her first quilt and for not following a pattern or measurements, I guess she didn't do too bad... eh?

post--13461902153705_thumb.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here's another... All of her seams look like this.

Oh and she asks me if I will charge her (again) for quilting it the 2nd time... I said (while gritting my teeth with a fake smile)... "don't worry about it I will take care of it"

Frankly I don't need any more garbage to deal with here! I am just swallowing my pride and fixing this stupid ugly quilt for her.

Goody goody gum drops fun fun for me! Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow (inside) while it's Saturday and 80 degrees out hot and sunny?

PS: I am going to smash this quilt flat as a board with quilting so their aint no poofiness left in it when I am done!!!

:mad::o:mad::o:mad::(:mad:

post--13461902154007_thumb.jpg

dear Shana,

You are a very caring and wonderful person who always encourages others and does her best for them. I am sorry that you have to go through this. Just remember to breathe deeply and remember that you do not have to ever make her a repeat customer.

Ask her specifically what she wants both in batting and in quilting, put it in writing and have her sign it...... then do your best, because that is all you can do. I now it sucks, but the dice are thrown. See it through and know, that we are behind you, and that we love you and know that your work is great!! If there is any saving grace in this quilt, it will because of your efforts.

Remember............ in with the Good.......... Out with the Bad.

Susanne

Oh Susanne and Coleen, you are so nice ! :) Thanks!

The funny thing is the "poofy" quilting job I did the first time helped to hide her very poor piecing job. Well, when I get done with this thing the 2nd time around, I promise it won't be "poofy" any more and her "not so perfect" piecing will be glaringly obvious.

I wonder if she'll get a ribbon at the fair!! ;)

Hmmmmmmm! :mad::mad:

Here's another fabulous photo I wanted to show.

post--13461902154297_thumb.jpg

SHANA - that first picture of the piecing she is so proud of should have come with an advanced warning, now my laptop is covered in coffee - its the coffee I spat when I saw the "points" in the first picture!!!!!

You are right, the poofy batting would have hid the piecing - bad decision on her part to have it unpicked - how are you going to quilt it - custom or overall?

Good suggestions by Susanne to have her sign off on what she wants you to do this time and I hope you will be too busy to do any more quilts for her, lets see if any of those other quilters are brave enough to take her on.

Good luck, hope it quilts up quickly.

Hugs

sue in australia

Shana, All I can say is "Bless You!!"

Every person she showed this quilt to probably thought 'Oh my God! I am glad I did not have to deal with that!' You are so sweet to help her out...just so sorry about the frogging, especially since you gave her what she asked the first time.

She did a quite well considering it is a first and she is completely self-taught. Think of the money she has saved on lessons, tools, wasted fabric, and now FREE quilting!! :o Be sure and tell her all your friends (US) would have charged her (GOOD) for changing her mind!! Thanks for sharing your lesson: always get it in writing!

Let us know what ribbon she gets :D . If it is like our little fair, depending on who she is, she may get Best of Show for artistic expression and innovative techniques. :D:D:D

SHana,

I would have agreed to rip it out and then given it back to her with 50% of what you charged (okay a loss I know) and then tell her that she should take it to one of the longarmers she spoke with and have them do it to her likeing because you two did have a communication gap....!!

You are a much better person than I!!! I am with Sue. When I saw the pics of her quilt, I busted out laughing. Now what show is this she is entering?????

Hang in their girl. Your quilting ability is fantastic and I would doubt she could ruin your name, but you don't want you name on that quilt.

(I am pressing my lips together REALLY tight! Sometimes that works when a bad word and my true thoughts are trying to escape!!)

Shana darlin'--no "local quilter" told her your quilting made her quilt unworthy. They told her the BATTING choice made it the ugly piece of trash it is-- when really it was her creative piecing. They were probably more diplomatic than that!:P That's why she wants it re-done. It will never be show-worthy.

I vote for a hand-back with the "poor fit" lie and let one of those "local quilters" take her on--if they dare!

She can not ruin your reputation (the greedy b*tch) oops--there I go again! Your quilting is fabulous and I imagine she won't put your name on the quilt anyway--she wants all the credit!

Hugs to you, dear friend! We love you!

Oh Shana I do feel for you,

I feel she has some cheek coming back to you after 8 months, especially when she was very happy with the quilting you did in the first place.

I think you are a saint frogging this quilt for her and re doing the quilting free of charge. I hope it does not take to much of your time.

Maybe when customers collect there quilts they should maybe sign the invoice they are happy with the quilters work, so at least you have some proof.

Shana darling. OK so you need to show her this forums expert opinions on this top and let her know that her piecing has a ways to go! I think I would have unpicked it and handed it back to but I know that probably wouldn't solve your problem. You will quilt it well no doubt and I sure hope she puts it in the show and the judges tear it apart! It is a wonder that you got that thing to lay flat at all! (((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))) to you!

I agree with everyone that say Rip out and return unquilted. Because even if you quilt it flat she is going to say the point don't match because of the way you quilted it. I would give any excuse you can think up to give it back and tell her to give it to another quilter.

So sorry this has happened to you.

I would have frogged and just returned it to her undone.

This is where our problem lies. We don't want to hurt the feelings of a new customer/quilter, so we don't tell them that their work is really poor. And that is where I think the other longarmers were coming from too. They know the quilt is not "show" quality. So to discourage her from entering without insulting her work they put the "bad" on you. Well it back fired.

Maybe entering it in a show will give her the honest judging that she needs to hear.

Your a sweet and generous person Shana.

vg

OH MY GOSH! You poor thing... It's so sad when we are afraid of what one poor piecer might do to our quilting reputation.... You are an angel to frog and re quilt. The best part is:

I can't wait til she gets the judges comments back!!! LOL

But, again, sadly she just didn't know how to piece - I'd just bet she'd be your "best" friend if you showed her the basics. OR, if you got her to the LQS so they could show her... Knowledge is everything....

Shana,

I just had a customer call (who has brought me about 4 quilts - we were doing well together) that I had quited a top for. She had not had classes either. She did okay on the top, but it had a 1" bright green inner border that really popped out of the blue/white/yellow quilt. I never have anyone sign anything and this was my "last" customer quilt so I was home free. I have never, ever had a customer call and complain. Until now. Her back was too small so I showed her some wide backing fabric that I had that would work. She wanted me to sew a border around the back with the wide backed fabric. I told her it is impossible for me to see the back while I am lining things up so it will not be even. She just looked at me and said that it would be okay. It took me 1 hour and 20 minutes to fix her back at $15/per hour. Then the cost of fabric, batting, thread and quilting. Her full size quilt ended up costing her around $189.00 When I measured the top, of course it was not square. When I quilted the top, that cute little inner border was "wonky" in her words. We talked about it when she picked up and she wrote the check. She called me later in the week and wanted to come and talk about the quilt. Fine, I set up a time. She called back and left a message saying she would just live with it, but she was very unhappy with the price and the way it looked.

This has taught me a valuable, valuable lesson. I am to a point in my quilting where I am taking jobs if I want to and not if I don't. I have deciede if the piecing is bad, the quilt looks pitiful, etc. I'm not taking it in. I don't need the headache. You don't either.

Show her the pictures of her piecing and explain fullness.

Note to self: Thank God everyday I don't quilt for others.

You need to prepare yourself for the possibility she will win a ribbon. She may enter it in some obscure first timer using blue thread category or it wins because of your quilting. Even the size of the quilt is strange - was she making something to lay over the sofa cushions?

Mary

Wow! This is one of those "Bless her heart" quilts as Karen Overton says. Shana, this lady has no clue what to look for in a well made quilt, much less a show quilt. She has no idea what the meanings are in what she asked you to do in the first place, much lless what she has said to you about doing as SHE asked you to do, or redoing the whole thing. She just has no idea. Remember, she's never had a class or read a book. Do her quilt again, to the best of your ability, encourage her to enter it in the show. Comments will be based on HER peicing, and HER choices of betting and design. YOUR quilting will be the only thing complemented. People around there know you, and the quality of your quilting, you won't be knocked down for doing a great job on a bad quilt. They might in fact say that poofy quilting would have been better. Just remind her that's what you did in the beginning. Everyone has to start somewhere, some just have to start with a hard lesson. Keep the pics to show if anyone says anything. Explain to her that this is why God made books and classes. She might see the light and go on to be challenged enough to learn to do it right and end up being one of your star customers! Go for the silk purse effect!

As Karen McTavish says, "Do the hard thing.".

I agree with Kenna. Make your quilting really pop! When the show judge writes the report she will get shot down with her piecing and you will get the atta-boys with your quilting. I always stand open-mouthed at the boldness of some folks. I can not imagine taking a quilt back to someone and asking for a re-do. She has no idea the work you put into that quilt. I might have nicely explained that by the time you ripped out the old and replaced with the new, she could have make a new quilt top. Whew!!!!!!! What are you going to say to her when she comes back to get it? Encourage her to actually take a couple of classes and invest in a few good books?

Shanna, who are this lady's friends?? Are they as out of touch with quiilting as she?? I haven't started quilitng for others yet, after reading this I'm not sure I want to ... I do agree with everyone who said you are a saint! You are so generous to redo this sad piece I hope the implied black mail she used on you comes back to her someday.

I aslo agree you should rip it out and then give it back to her to take to a one of the other "experts" that told her you didn't do a good job and let them "fix" it. It seems your professionalism wouldn't let you, I admire you so much!! Bless you!

Shana, you are earning another feather on your quilting "angel" wings. Glad you vented and by doing so, you also helped all of us get good advice - another feather. You're such a supportive person - so take those quilter wings and fly above this - get out and enjoy your 80º weather today and get 'er done when YOU want to. Life is too short for PITA's.

Here is my 2 cents. I guess you are better then I would be. I would maybe send a copy of a piecing & quilting instrutions home with this quilt. Or, send instruction of a judging with what they look for to judge a quilt. For future quilts from her. If she puts this in a show the judge will look but will not win anything. If you quilted it and if it goes in a show, I am sure that it would not be your quilting that gets the bad talk. I am sure you are worthy of a show but she will find it an eye opener to her piecing. I don't think she is telling you the whole truth. Raise your head above this and you have customers that love your quilting. Just have to take it with a grain of salt. Let us know what happens.:cool:

Oh Shana, I feel for you and while reading this a customer of mine popped in my head. AGHHHHHH! I did a king size custom on a Janome/Grace frame. Quilted half, basted and turned it and quilted the other half, put on the binding for her to stitch down all for $60. It turned out really well considering the space I had to work in at that time. She complained because when she pushed down and slid her hand toward the binding it would bunch up ever so slightly and I mean barely nothing. SERIOUSLY. Every quilt will do that. She wanted it so tight, like you glued the top to a board. She took the quilt to about 4 other quilters and tried to get them to say something wrong with it and they all told her they would have charged her 3 to $400 to do it. That was over 3 years ago and now she wants me to do another quilt for her. I know if it isn't tight as a drum she will want her money back. I am really going to dread that day.

You are a quite the quilter to do this. I'm a nice person but I don't know if I would be that nice.

Archived