NQR-So Close to Home

MY DH & I just finished a Goldwing trip through Yellowstone to Red Lodge back through Beartooh Pass and home to Rapid City. When we turned onto the gravel 1/2 mile from home, we laid the bike down. I was thrown off as the bike fell. Poor DH didn't know if he should pick up me or the bike. I kept telling him I was fine and he said "If you're fine, why aren't you moving?" I hurt my knee (Minor) but what really got me is the hole ripped in my jeans since they are one of only three pair I can get my fat rear into anymore. Glad we weren't hurt, but how ironic but lucky to crash so close to home.

So glad you are ok. But the only way to see Yellowstone is on a bike. DH and I the first year we were married jumped on the Goldwing and headed for CA. What a trip. The only spill we had was in North Hollywood. We had just come from Carson City, NV all in one day and we got there around 11 pm. We stopped outside of a 7/11 and DH shut the bike off and relaxed for a minute then lean it over and forgot to put the kick stand down. It rolled me off that bike like a ball. I was dressed in black leather and I let him have it right there in the parking lot. Well that was a good thing because he stood there and took it then went into the 7/11 to ask for directions on how to get to his uncle's place while I stayed outside to protect the bike. That wasn't a smart thing to do but then again who is going to mess with a biker babe dressed in leather that just chewed out her man and he took it and never said a word. I think I scared the dickens out of the group hanging around the parking lot, not one of them even approached me or looked at me...LOL...

Take care of that knee and remember to wear your leathers. If it's hot, soak down under them, it's like air conditioning.

I'm glad it all went well. I look at the timing of so close to home as God's way of caring for you. Just like he did for me a week ago. I had just driven 3 days to our church conference, was 30 minutes from the site but missed the GPS directions on where to turn, Since Best Western/Wendy's parking lot was right there, I chose it to turn around in and while there we decided to get lunch. Only after I was parked and in ready to order did I get the phone call that my son had fallen 15 feet off the roof he was helping to shingle. He only has a fine fracture in the jaw and a broken femur! God is so good, Jeff is going to be fine and I didn't have any problems driving while hearing the news. He takes care of us so well.

On to the more fun news, maybe now you get to go shopping for new jeans!

We just got home from the shop hop and DH and I are planning to ride our bikes to the post office. AFter driving all day round trip a couple hundred miles, I sure hope this doesn't happen to me.

I hope you heal fast and find a pair of NEW jeans!:)

Was in Iowa this past weekend, envied all the motorcycles in groups of 4 to 6 on I-80 on their way to the Sturgis gathering. At 70 mph, a construction truck ahead of us lost 6-8 cement tools, rakes and shovels, one rake hit our windshield (thank God the rental chevy held up) shovels hit the front end and went under. After the initial shock wore off, I realized God was taking care of the bikers, if they had been where we were, they would have been killed. Take care all bikers, love, Pat

Ouch! On gravel? That makes ME hurt! My friend, Red, is 82 years old going on 30 and has a decked out '98 Goldwing trike. He also rides a Polaris ATV at about 40 mph all around his little ranch (he's been thrown twice!) BTW. his knees are so bad he's walked with 2 canes as long as I've known him. But he got a HUGE 4 wheel scooter that is as big as the ATV. It's too big to get though the interior doors in the house, so he got a power chair the other day. All this and he can't figure out more than how to place and answer calls on his cell. I'm trying to talk him into selling the trike and buying me a quilting machine! Any takers? Maybe if I tell him the machine has 8 wheels on it he'd go for it.....yeah, I think he has a thing for wheels.....;)

Ouch, Marie! I know nothing about bikes, although my three brothers all had them, but I'm thinking the term "we laid the bike down" is a very mild way of saying what happened!!! I too am soooo glad you're okay, other than holy -- holey jeans ;) . Get yourself another pair or two that are real comfy and set yourself in front of your quilting! Much safer! LOL! So glad you were so close to home too. Take care..........

Been there and done that!! Got the holey pants to prove it too! Now I ride a Goldwing trike and don't have to worry about putting my feet down or rolling over! :D So happy you're not hurt badly. Never knew there were so many Goldwing and other types of bikers here on the forum. Maybe we need to start out own talk place!! Like how slow do you have to be going to still be able to sew down the binding!! :P:P

Originally posted by penelopefabric

My DH has a Goldwing and I have a Honda Touer 1100.

My plate is QUILT1 cracks up my friends. Maybe we should all go on one of Ricky Tims rides!

My DH is always teasing me about quilt shop stops and that I'd really have to stuff things in cracks. I told him that that's what the 15 cubic ft. cargo trailer was for!!! I'm up for the Tims ride!

You guys are talking about motorcycles, right? Were you kidding when you said "sew down the binding"? I have this picture in my mind---DH driving, I'm riding on the back of a motorcycle, quilt/needle in hand, sewing binding riding down the highway. Can someone do that? I mean set it up and take a picture? I'll bet it would make the front page! or at least a cartoon.:D:D

Oh Boni, you crack me up. I think someone could sew while riding on the back of a goldwing those things are smooth. The pic would be priceless.

Marie, glad you are ok!!! That gravel will get you everytime, even the most experienced riders. The last two times I dropped my bike was riding into my own driveway!!! I'm short and the rain gutters are deep, I didn't give the bike enough gas to get up the driveway and guess where it stopped!!!

A quilt tour/shop hop on bikes, wouldn't that be fun. I think there's a lot of quilting bikers on this forum. Isn't it fun getting younger.:cool:

Glad to hear that you are okay after your 'spill'. Go shopping for new jeans...that could be fun!

DH and I never laid our bike down when we had it, but after child #3 was born, we decided to sell it. But with 7 kids it didn't quite work for us. :P

I keep hoping we will get another bike after the kids are grown and out of the house. Sure do miss it. We used to take trips to Reno and Carson City and along the biways. Great together time too!

Archived