Quilts for sale - how to price realistically?

I have had a fairly serious enquiry about buying one of my quilts, Botannica Kentuckii. It has been to Paducah and in a couple of mags but not a prize winner. I told them it might be for sale but I would have to think hard about what to charge.

It is 100" square. I reckon the materials cost £200/$320 and I lost count of the hours but maybe 200+. If I charged £10 per hour that would be a total of £2200 or $3520. Now that hourly rate is far less than a mechanic but more than a cleaning lady!

People in this country simply don't seem to want to pay ££$$ for quilts...I think they would faint if you even suggested £1000/$1600.

However much I would like to keep BK for posterity or forthcoming shows, I still need to make some money. I want to travel abroad for tuition and big shows. I want to invest in more equipment. I need to have good money coming in so I can show the bank that I am serious about my business.

So just how do you settle on a fair price?

Originally posted by sewlinzi

I want to travel abroad for tuition and big shows. I want to invest in more equipment.

First...you need to consider applying for scholarships at these shows. I know for one, MQS has a scholarship program - what a great thing that is. It allows you to take classes from the best teachers while allowing you to have some money left at the end to buy needed supplies, etc. You must be willing to promote the world of quilting....and who here is not ;) Go to their web site or just about any of the shows you are looking at attending and see what it says about scholarships. I think even some of the machine quilting magazines have scholarship program that helps with education.

Second, I know it is tempting to lower the price of the goods if you think they won't pay that much for a quilt. Would they pay that much for a great work of art, or a beautiful piece of jewelry? Don't sell yourself short....you will kick yourself in the end.

Linzi,

I completely agree with all the comments above! When I go to Amish country, about an hour south of me, they sell quilts from $750 upwards to $1400, $1600... now I have to say that I have yet to see one for $2000.

If I was going to sell my ribbon winning yellow quilt, I would want to sell it for $2500. Realistically I think it might go for $1500.

Check other sites, like Karen McT, Linda McC., (does she have a site?) Maybe you can get a better idea... I DON'T think ebay is a good indicator...

if you short change yourself on this one it lowers the value of your work. If this person really wants this quilt then they will pay good $$ for it. Decide on a price...go half way in between and say 2750.00 (I don't have the sign for pounds) Then let them decide. DO NOT GO BACK AND FORTH WITH PRICE!!!!! You are not a car dealer. I hope you sell if that's what you want but don't sell out. Got it??? LOL:P:P:P

Good Luck baby!

Tracey

Ultimately, you have to charge what you would be willing to receive. If you price it too low, you will always remember that. Price where YOU want it to sell and it will. That quilt HAS a provinance. Provide proof of its travels, have it appraised!! That might assist you in thinking how much it will sell. Make sure your appraisal is for resale, not replacement or insurance value. I highly reccommend an appraisal. I'm not an appraiser, nor do I know any. I just value their knowledge. Price your piece like the piece of ART that it is. DOESNOT matter that it is a quilt, the quilt is the medium. That's like an artist trying to charge based on the cost of his paints. Your selling the whole picture here. I'm in your corner and wish that I could even come close to offering what it is worth.

Sending you prosperity thoughts and peace,

you are going to set your worth with this first one. If you set it low then any others will also be low. Charge what you and that beauty is WORTH. Not what they will pay. You are an artist just like a paint and canvas artist. In fact, contact a local art gallery and ask to display a couple. Put your top dollar on them and just wait and see what happens.

Think about this: What ever price you set, someone else will see it and think, "I want one just like that" How much would you charge to do another one just exactly like that one? If you lower your price, you will be grumbling through the whole process. If you set your price to match your labor and materials, it will be a joy to do the commission. Actually, don't just cover your labor and materials, add a big hunk for profit and overhead so you will be able to make many more and fulfill your dreams of furthering your business and "talent". Good luck Linzi!

We had Ellen Ann Eddy come to our guild and had for sale her thread art quilts. I dont think she sold any at guild or if she did they were small ones as they went for 1500 to 2ooo or more. I dont even know how much the large ones went for but it was alot. they were definately pieces of art and would not be used as a quilt because of how heavy and stiff they were not your usual snuggly quilt. I know she is an established author etc. but everyone begins somewhere as an accredited artist. Dont start sell so cheaply that your work isnt considered as a valid piece of art becuase it is!!

I think you need to look at this from two perspectives...is it Art or is it a Handmade Craft? As a one time crafter, the rule of thumb was to price things at 3X the cost, no allowance for time involved to make anything.

When something is Art, like so many of your quilts, you can price at what the market will bear. Too high and you don't sell. there is a very specific demographic interested in Art Quilts. You can always lower the price, but you can't ask more if you sell too low.

We all know what our quilts are "worth", finding someone appreciative to pay the price is the hard part.

Good luck.

Thanks for all of the great input on this post. I will tell the potential buyer that it will have a fairly high tag. I don't actually think they will buy it in the end but that's OK. I will keep it until the price is right. I'm very proud of that quilt but if it helps to pay for a wonderful trip or a new machine then it is worth doing...

Linzi:

As someone who has sold quilts, I agree with the advice already given. You need to find a certified quilt appraiser to give you an idea of fair market value. Not only the technical quality gets appraised but also the universal appeal (or not) of the subject matter. I've seen photos of this quilt and it is a stunner! Just to be a finalist at Paducah is a big deal. Don't sell it cheaply. I liked what Boni said...what would you charge to make it again? I did just that. I made an original quilt that was a big breakthrough for me. It took 6 months to create. A company offered to purchase it but, because it had such great personal meaning, I did not want to sell it. I offered to create a replica for them and they said yes. It took six weeks to make it the second time. I priced it well and they later bought a second piece from me.

Quilters who routinely sell their work often set their asking price per square foot. Many dealers and corporate art consultants are used to art being priced this way. For example, Libby Lehman (a well known quilter) says that she began selling her pieces at $25 per square foot. As she became more established, she gradually raised her price. Last I heard (and it was awhile ago) her price was well over $200 per square foot. Fiber arts are growing in popularity and prices are climbing. You can check the websites of some quilt artists to get an idea of the prices they command. It varies greatly based on the size of the quilt, techniques used, and importantly, reputation of the maker. I hope this information helps..your quilt is truly a work of art. Nancy in Tucson

Thank you Nancy!

So if my sums are right getting square footage... I could charge from $1734 up to $13 878!!!

I don't think I will be able to let it go, somehow! I can't imagine making a replica either.

And to my knowledge there isn't actually a quilt appraiser in the UK...

Unfortunatelyt here in the UK the market for selling quilts is not as well developed as in the USA. We do not have appraisers so the only way to find out is to put a price on it and see what happens.

You may sell for materials plus a bit for labour if you really need the money now or hang on for the right buyer to come along and sell for more. Only you know how much you need the money now.

The quilt may have more value for you as a sample of what you can do on an APQS machine which will be useful to you in your new capacity as APQS rep and also useful on the education side.

If you keep the quilt for now it may sell easier in a years time when you are better known and can give it more exposure at FOQ on your APQS stand at the show (if you have one)

Pricing is always a dilemma. Good vluck.

Yvette

Linzi:

Perhaps you could get a scholarship to become a certified quilt appraiser...an official training program is available from NQA. If there are no appraisers in the UK, it might be lucrative for you...there are appraisers working the larger quilt shows here in the US and some who spend a couple days a year at several LQS doing appraisals at $40 each. Your quilt is sensational...I wouldn't sell it either. Best, Nancy in Tucson

I charge what I want to get for the quilt. If they don't buy, it's okay with me. I would rather keep a quilt than let it go for less than it's worth. Ebay - everyone's looking for a deal. I don't sell anything there. I hear etsy is better, but haven't tried it. Anyone else have any luck with this site?

Archived