what shoes?

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

Did anyone ever get the Vibram Five Fingers shoes?? Do you like them? Shana...did you buy them and wear them to the grocery store?

I still wear mine everywhere. They are a nit of a hazard in quilt gatherings, I seem to spend half my time with a foot in the air for people to inspect :)

In fact I was unloading the van after the show in my crocs when it started to rain I swapped to the 5 fingers, much more grip. We have a tiled path which can be really slippy.

Ferret

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

Didn't know there was such a thing as double scoliosis! That must be painful.

I wear my steel toed boots nearly year round...or I go barefoot. I am sure that doesn't help you, but I have been looking for something different to try too. I want something confortable on the feet and cool...my feet sweat horribly. Any suggestions for something cool?

Kristina...were we seperated at birth.....totally my story as well. I did find a pair of men's flip flops at Target LAST summer that had a cushie sole and have pretty much lived in those this summer. Not bad for quilting either, but Shannon, I don't know what I would suggest for you. These have been mentioned before maybe someone else can report on them. i know alot of nursies use them.

Hi Shannon,

Sharon Schambers wears these tpe of shoes as well!!!!!!!!

They seem to be "endorsed" by quilters everywhere.

The concept seems very interesting and I am very tempted to get a pair myself. So my answer is absolutely no help at all, is it? :D Talk to those that have them and ask for the pros and cons etc.

Regards,

A girl I work with has these and we 'swapped shoes' for a few hours. (I know, sounds gross). They are awesome. I have a congenital defect in my spine that has require multiple surgeries throughout my life. These shoes are amazing! I immediately felt my posture improve and the pressure was off of my hips and lower back. I Loved them. I would definately wear them to quilt in. Just don't know if I can get past the look of them to wear them to work though. They look pretty strange.:P

Peggy

Hi Shannon,

Yes, I bought a pair of Z-coils at MQS last year. They really take the jarring away from walking and they did help my back. I have been having foot issues for several months, not related to z-coils, and have not worn mine in a while. I always wore them while quilting.

My friend who also quilts uses the sandal style and she loves them. They do get stared at and they are not cheap. Mine were $185 at MQS. But I have never scrimped on shoes. It's a big like walking inside one of those balloon jumps that the kids use.

Linda

TAKE EM OFF BABY

I accept I am an naked ape - I do not prefer foot covering. Inside my house and anywhere else I can think of like at my quiliting machine it is flesh to floor. Result I never think about my feet. They are always comfortable.

Shopping - what ever is closest to the door. The trip is going to be quick anyway.

Hiking - ankle support is important. Over the ankle and a cut down v at the back and excellent socks. I also wear these on flights (they are not light) to cut down on baggage.

Business - I go for high tart - I change in the car park - anything in red - I now (mostly) avoid the the killer stilletoes.

i bought a pair of the five toe things Ferret brought up, but alas, i can't wear them....they hurt my toes. i have an issue with my left foot that makes them VERY uncomfortable to wear. they fit well and feel right, til i start really walking in them....they do get some attention

we have a store in stockbridge that sells Zcoils , so i'm going to make the drive and check them out....

thanks to everyone for sharing their opinions. if and when i buy a pair of zcoils, i'll report back :)

Many doctors and nurses wear the Dansko shoes. When my Dad had surgery, his surgeon had Danskos in red!!! Guess it disguised the splatter???? Ha Ha!!!

I had heel spurs and found the Danskos really helped. I wore them exclusively for a while until everything healed up. I'm a country girl and barefoot suits me best but I need the support of whoes these days.

So...here's another option to throw into the mix that I've been giving some thought. When we move to the yurt, I will be quilting on concrete. Currently, I'm on our wood floor with those foam pads that fit together like jigsaw puzzle pieces. That isn't going to be enough protection, I don't think.

I saw these (www.gelpro.com) advertised on TV the other night and looked at their website. Now I'm thinking about getting one to fit on the freehand side of the machine and see how it works with my crocs and birkenstocks that I generally wear while quilting.

I tried on a pair of the MBS shoes and they were comfy! Haven't ever tried the Zcoil ones...they're just so odd looking. But, with those springs, are you able to leap tall buildings??:P

Sharon Schaumberg was wearing shoes like that at the 2008 show in Paducah. I like Borne and Earth shoe and echo. I have inserts made by my foot doc. that keep the front part of my foot in a state of floating. I have porcelain and hardwood floors and can never go barefoot. I do what ever he tells me surgery was a drag!! i will be looking forward to all shoe input!

Is there help for your scoliosis?

Originally posted by DoryJM

So...here's another option to throw into the mix that I've been giving some thought. When we move to the yurt, I will be quilting on concrete. Currently, I'm on our wood floor with those foam pads that fit together like jigsaw puzzle pieces. That isn't going to be enough protection, I don't think.

I saw these (www.gelpro.com) advertised on TV the other night and looked at their website. Now I'm thinking about getting one to fit on the freehand side of the machine and see how it works with my crocs and birkenstocks that I generally wear while quilting.

I tried on a pair of the MBS shoes and they were comfy! Haven't ever tried the Zcoil ones...they're just so odd looking. But, with those springs, are you able to leap tall buildings??:P

Originally posted by DoryJM

Currently, I'm on our wood floor with those foam pads that fit together like jigsaw puzzle pieces. That isn't going to be enough protection, I don't think.

Actually I am on the same set up...and have the same puzzle pieces...so far it okay, but, I have a piece of carpet on the concrete and then the pieces, so that may be the difference. Let me know how your new set goes when you are there...I might want to change as well.

After 27 years in steel toed combat boots my feet kill me in any type of civilian shoes. I live in my CROCKS but my back and legs hurt after about 5 hours. Now you you all have me interested in the Z thingys. I was driving home from work today and what did I see? They're building a new strip mall by my house and on the "opening soon" sign was Z-Coils. Do you know how much this forum costs me!! See ya later, I'm off to the Z-Coil Store.:cool:

Archived