question about beginners class

I know a beginners class comes free with the purchase of a new APQS machine. I am having difficulty scheduling a class with the local shop that gives them. A friend has been waiting over a year to take this class, and still hasn't been able to pin down a date. My question is, what is coverd in the classes, and would it be worth it to take the class in Des Moines? It wouldn't be cheap or easy to get this done, so I wonder how worthwhile it would be.

Hi Lynn,

Contact APQS directly and tell them of the problem you and your friend are having. The reps are obligated to give you the beginner's class while you are still a beginner!! Not a year later when you probably have most of it figured out.

When I purchased mine, the beginner class wasn't offered and believe me, I could have used it. Instead I spent a chunk of money for classes at Longarm University. Money well-spent, I should add.:)

I don't know what is covered in the class. I have heard from two local purchasers that they are both still waiting to get a class scheduled. One purchased a year ago and one fairly recently. Good luck.

I never got a beginner class either. I remember speaking to Marilyn Badger about it and she offered to let me tag along with a friend who had just purchased her machine, but didn't have it in her possession yet. I thought I might do that, but I have had my machine roughly 10 months now, and it still hasn't happened. Besides, Marilyn lives 3-1/2 hours from me. Not very convenient. I would be curious to find out what is offered in the beginner class too.

I never got a Beginner's Class, but I bought my machine second-hand (and NOT through APQS, I didn't know any better at the time!:(). Since then I've given five or six Beginner's Classes myself, and if I was closer to you, Lynn or Kristina, I'd be honored to do your class! Please be sure to call APQS and tell them the issues you're having in scheduling a class - perhaps your local rep isn't really into teaching and there's somebody else that can help you.

I've been told that the Beginner's Classes at APQS HQ are worth the time and the money - and while you're there, head up to the Factory for the Maintenance Class - definitely worth every cent!;)

Because I bought my Milli without a local rep(nearest about 5 hours away), I decided to take the maintenance class to protect myself a little in case of disaster!!! the beginner and advanced beginner classes offered by Dawn C. in Des Moines were really , really, worth it. The whole package did cost me 4 days, and travel there, but with airtrain tickets, and the $ discount motel rate, the free lunches, I felt it was a good deal money wise also.

The confidence and technical knowledge really helped me conquer a lot of my fears, makes it much easier to PPP Thanks to Dawn for the beginner class and advanced class, and to Amy and APQS for the factory and maintenance class.

Pat :cool:

I never took my beginner class either. I too bought my machine at one of the road shows so didn't have a local rep. I went to Camp Mowana 5 weeks after I got my machine and that was so worth it! I learned a ton. I did have a old stretched rotary machine before that so I learned load on that. As a matter of fact that was how I met Rita R. online and she was my one on one pro on how to load a quilt!

I'll be taking the beginner and advanced beginner class in November at APQS and am excited to be going. I have to go to MN the first week of November to spend a week with my mother so will be driving home right through DesMoines the day before the classes start - what great timing for me! I'd like to take the maintenance class, too, but know that I will be anxious to get home after 10 days on the road so will forego maintenance for another time. It looks like Dawn is the teacher and I know we will learn a lot from her.

The beginning class was very helpful. I purchased my machine at PIQF and didn't take delivery until almost a year later. I had to build the studio to put it in first. At the time I bought it, I didn't know anything about the sales rep program and I don't think Cheryl was a rep yet anyway. She was by the time I actually got my machine and I took my beginners class fairly soon after I got the machine. I learned lots of little tricks that I use all the time. I still think of Cheryl every time I bury a thread. LOL

Though I did not go to Des Moines, it seems that I should have. A few of the dealers do take the time to give the proper instruction - others don't. I feel that basic maintenance is critical as well as learning about tension when you first start and I received nothing on these topics. When I got my machine, I did get some general quilting lessons through Bayside as they were my dealer. But since, they basically carry the HQ 16 and knew very little about the APQS I got about nothing concerning my machine and was very frustrated. I have heard that they have not changed their policies. I love their fabric store but am still not impressed with their APQS service. Just my opinion though others may have had better luck.

Oh well - a year later and ten years worth of learning in part to all the wonderful ladies here and those at the APQS factory. It seems that if we want to do this, we stumble through.........

Lynn, I too took the beginner classes and the maintenance class from APQS. My teacher was Dawn, a very gifted teacher and so much fun. It is absolutely 100% worth the effort and expense to get there. I flew in from Canada for the duration and I am so very, very glad I did. If you are able to go, do not cut yourself short and miss the maintenance classes, Amy is amazing and you'll never regret the time you took to take them.

Good luck, and happy quilting! :)

I drove almost 5 hours one-way for my beginner class about 4 mos after I purchased my machine. It was worth the drive and the night at the hotel. Many things (things I now considered common sense but didn't have a clue at the time) were taught. You get the basics of how the machine works, how to set up pantos, and the basics of how to start a business, if that's something you're interested in.

I also took Darlene Epp's 3-day beginner class several months later--that entailed a trip to Canada!

These classes have given me a really good base, and even though I'm still constantly learning, I feel the initial beginning class is a necessity.

Kristina, taking the beginning class from Marilyn Badger, even though you've had your machine for 10 mos, would be more than worth the 3 hour drive. In fact, if it were me, I'd take the beginning class and then try to take a more advanced class from her the next day to make the trip even more worthwhile. Or...since it is about the same distance, come see me when I'm set up and you can have the beginning class in a yurt, no less, and a pony ride...what could be more fun??:P:D:P

I will contact Marilyn when Pat gets her machine all set up and see if we can go together for the beginners class. I will also ask about an advanced class. That would be fun. She is so busy that I really hate to bother her with it, but I will see. Also, it is inconvenient because I have 7 kids. But, I am sure I can work something out. Marilyn is really a sweetheart. That would be fun. I wonder what I don't know about my machine after nearly a year?!?!

I did pick up some hints at an APQS Road Show a few months ago. Things I didn't know that Mark showed me. That was alot of fun. That's where I met Marilyn.

And, Dory, I will get with you for that pony ride and visit to your yurt! :)

Kristina...with 7 kids, you'd think one of them would be old enough to babysit...at least until CPS knocks on your door:D:P Actually, I don't know how you go anywhere; I don't know how you find time to quilt! I can barely do it with just me, Dennis and my MIL....

Okay...its a date! Yurt should be up and operational in October--I can't wait. I'm soooo tired of sleeping in the living room!

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

I will contact Marilyn when Pat gets her machine all set up and see if we can go together for the beginners class. I will also ask about an advanced class. That would be fun. She is so busy that I really hate to bother her with it, but I will see.

Kristina, don't feel like you are bothering! That is a part of our jobs as reps, to provide the training along with service after the sale. :) I haven't met Marilyn, but I doubt that she would feel that you "bothered" her.

Hello!

I just emailed John at countrylane quilting about classes. I paid Tina Collins to come to my house and she was great but a lot of it blew by me. I did a lot of watching her thinking i would remember....:P I would like to go to IA too.Let me know what you find out! Maybe we could do a group road trip!

Hmmmm...well, I stepped on some toes with this post. I have been contacted by a dealer, and we have set a date for the beginner's class. I had been going to the dealer's website to see a list of class dates. The website said it would have dates posted soon. That's been the message for five months with no class dates. I assumed no classes were scheduled. Combined with information I was getting from other sources, I surmised that these classes were not easy to obtain locally. When I said I was trying to schedule and having difficulty, I was including my frustration with the lack of classes listed on the website. By the time I made a phone call, I was already a bit annoyed. I did not mean to disparage the dealer, but I have a lot going on in my life also, and a class schedule is important in being able to plan the other things that I need to do. I saw a list of classes and dates on the APQS website, and thought it might just be easier to take a class there. I was told that APQS does not want dealers to hold classes for less than three or four students. Perhaps APQS needs to address this with the dealers since it appears others are having issues with obtaining classes from dealers as well.

Maybe you opened some eyes Zora. When you purchase your machine, before you turn over the deposit, have the dealer commit to a date for the class. I too had an invisible dealer on my purchase - can't even remember the name and it has only been a year. Once I wrote the deposit check, never heard a word from them again. Knowing what I know now, I would not purchase from any dealer other than the ones that show up on this forum on a regular basis. They are the ones that also seem to go the extra mile like getting top notch teachers in for more advanced classes. Bypass the middle man and contact APQS directly if you are not getting the kind of service you need. It worked for me.

Mary

I purchased directly from Mark at APQS and had a wonderful experience. No hassle, had all questions answered, and was very pleased. I would purchase again through Mark. He was very curtious and helpful. The only thing I wasn't aware of (or I forgot about, not sure which), was the beginner class. I am however, going to get one set up now. I am going to try for an advanced class at the same time, especially if Marilyn has time for one. She is awesome, and her studio...my goodness! She is very sweet and I would love to learn some tricks from her.

I took the beginner & advanced classes in Des Moines this past July with Dawn C and it far exceeded my expections! She is just awesome and shares so much with you above and beyond what you'd expect in a basic class. I also went on to Carroll for the maintenance class and feel very confident in that if needed I can make simple repair to my machine or do preventive maintenance all on my own. You will also learn about threads and tension which is a really big deal in getting that perfect stitch. I also made some wonderful friends while there and thats priceless! BTW I drove 12 hours from Mississippi to take the classes and it really was not a bad drive at all.

Archived