it's bad and i'm getting nervous

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shannon, I just checked Weather.Org and they say 100% "chance" of rain today, but it seems to be dissipating starting tomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it recedes quickly!

We are so dry here. I was at a quilting retreat about 30 minutes east of where I live over the weekend. Fire broke out about 7 miles from my home but the first original report was that it was at a lake just over from us, really close as the crow flies and about 10 miles by horse, which is how we go there. That made me nervous and Dennis wasn't back from bringing me by a lamp yet. Luckily one of our neighbors was able to see that it was actually a few ridges over and since it was the only fire in the area, they had massive handcrews, 7 tankers and 6 helicopters on it. Its 80% contained now.

The rest of the week is dry and hot and windy--scary fire weather. Why is it that while you're flooding, we're baking? You'd think the skies would cooperate and send us some rain and you some sun!

Stay dry...cuddle with the pups. I'll be sending dry thoughts your way:)

okay update-

water is now up the car in the picture. the dry thought were working, the downpour stopped, but has started again.

quilckly moving everything upstairs...all cust/business stuff is moved. now for everything else...computer and books are next.

at least i'm getting my exercise...*major sarcasm*

Shana

We came home from Greeneville TN yesterday through alot of rain and slow, slow traffic the am emergency station was talking about all the flooding going on in TN, GA, NC etc,

I sure was glad to get home and out of those areas. We are not having any of that today here in SC. I sure will be praying for you. Like Rita said come north or north east. Watch out for those flooded roads, I saw on the news where a road was washed out and a toddler was missing.

Shannon: Just got home from work, tried 3 different ways to get here till found one only 10" deep, thank God for son who put really big tires on my jeep:D I live about 20 miles east of you , I think, your area is one of the hardest hit. Stay as dry as possible, SAVE THE QUILTS and of course the "Nemo":P

okay it's 5:00 my time (EST) and it seems that the water is sudo-rapidly receeding. after all the sewing room was moved upstairs, like the true rednecks we are, we got the dogs and played in the rain....davis made it home...my mood improved immediatley...i wasn't alone anymore.

even played rescue to two lucky animals...i'll blog that after i get dried off....

thank you for all the prayers, good thoughts, and well wishes....all is well right now...hopefully the night won't bring any surprises.

i've decided to throw a BYOB party for those in need of water....Bring Your Own Bucket :)

If I were you, I'd take Nemo (only his head) upstairs where it is nice and dry. That way you are high and dry and you and the baby boys can peace out on Prozac. Shannon, years ago my DH and I took the kids to Atlanta to see the Braves, visit the zoo, and go to 6-Flags. It was raining just as it is now. They were telling folks to leave their homes. Stupid us went anyway. We stayed on Peachtree street and took the MARTA everywhere we went. It was one of the best vacations we have ever had. We knew we were goning to be wet and just went for it. So fun. Do you want to come to Hattiesburg and stay with me (bring the furry kids) until things dry out? No kidding, you are welcome. We have room for you - 2 large bedrooms not being used.

Glad Davis is there with you and really, other than making your things safe, why not play in the rain?? Cool that you rescued some critters--can't wait to hear that story!

It flooded out here a few years back and we were totally stuck--all roads out were closed. So that's what we did...took the horses out and played. It will stop, it always does and it receeds so quickly, its amazing. When it finally stopped here and had been dry for about an hour, we noticed the horses were running and running, happy to be out of their shelters. It was fun watching them cavorting in the pasture--until they started getting crazy and slipping in the mud!:o

I'm sending dry thoughts your way; please send wet ones out here!

Originally posted by Betsy

wow....that is way too close for comfort because you still have more rain on the way. Is there someplace you can go? How high does it need to get before you can't leave? If you have warning bells going off.....just hightail it out of there to someone else's house.

I agree! Shannon, if the rain decides to continue and the waters rise, why are you there? Is this necessary? Take what you need and hop in the car and get the double hockey sticks outa there. Can you go to mamas house? Grandmas? A good friend? Stay for a few days (mini vacation) or so to let things calm down. That way you are not taking risks.

Bonnie,

The flooding has been pretty grim. I have heard Shannon's voice - I called her at home about 7:30. But she couldn't hear me - all the water is doing something funky with their phone line. Given that, she sounded fine. I know she moved the computer upstairs; I don't know if her internet connection is via phone line or cable. Either way, she could be having issues.

We flooded, but mercifully, it was onyl about 8 inches in the crawl space. My DH is in the crawl space cleaning up what he can tonight. Tomorrow, we'll figure out if the water heaters and HVAC system are working or not.

All the metro school systems have closed down for tomorrow. We're expecting more rain and there just isn't any place for it to go.

Pat - glad that you made it home safely.

Lynn

Dear All: Can't speak for Shannon, she lives a little west of me, but we've got what looks like about 10 hours by the radar of no rain, hope the creeks go down not up over night, her area is really bad though, I've heard different figures for her suburb, some up to 20" since last Sat eve.!! Our total is a little less, but we got it in a shorter amount of time. Saw the network news stories, lots of damage now, much more to come, sad thing though is the loss of life, including a 2 year old....

Give us a little break in the rain,.......Please:) Pat

Edit: posted at the same time you did Lynn, glad to hear it's only in your crawl space, keep close watch, take care Pat

Archived