it's bad and i'm getting nervous

if you've watched the news, the southeast is getting TONS of rain! last night my area got 10-12" overnight! my machine is in the basement, and we live on the edge of a flood plain. the little itty bitty wet weather creek in the field behind the house banked yesterday and i'm close to lake front property.

i have no phone and with the thunder and lightening, i don't dare turn on Nemo. oh, speaking of thunder: it's not like you get a clap and a minute or two later you get another. NOPE- it's a constant rumble....constant. you knw the ones that makes the house vibrate. that starts messing with your head...

i'm getting nervous...lucky's a mess. i had to give him a puppy prozac (i'm thinking i might try one). he hates storms and we've had one for a week now solid. i looked at the weather channels site- it's going to do this for the remainer of this week...

it's funny how atlanta is getting weird weather lately....last year the severe drought, now all this rain. let's not forget the tornado that went through downtown recently...i hate to think about this winter....*knock on wood* no blizzards please!

*sigh* thanks for reading...i'm going to try to relaxwith some fabric therapy-i might try to piece the log cabin blocks for my fall block swap.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shannon, I understand about a scared dog. Just like Lucky, Dylan is terrified of storms. I just let him curl up to me and it usually calms him down alot.

You may even wish to unplug Nemo to be certain that no power surges go through the lines. Yes, even with the power off the cord from the outlet will allow for a surge to get to the weakest link.

When we lived in South Carolina, we had to repair stereo, Television and computers on a regular basis when bad continuous storms hit. :mad:It was also a tip that we learnt during Hugo to unplug the all the electronics. Nemo will be fine with unplugging. :)

Saying prayers that the storms move through more quickly.

Shannon,

You can't move the frame, but you could move the head if you had to. You can move some stuff you have stored up off the floor. I can't remember where your computer sits, but I bet you've already moved it.

Like you, we're in flood plain. I am thankful the creek has stayed in its banks.

Hang in there. Happy piecing with the dogs this afternoon.

Lynn

this is the field that i play ball with barney in (not now tho)

there's probably 3 feet of water out there and it's moving fast! you can see the rain in the picture...it's been raining that hard since yesterday.

now i understand (and can emphasize) with the people that weren't on the ark....

post--13461902617259_thumb.jpg

I know you are nervous - but breathe a moment and be thankful that the show is over. You aren't looking at that water while you are binding, putting on labels, putting on hanging sleeves, . . . . .

Since we are in flood plain, too, I can't promise that our place will be much better than yours. You're still welcome to pack up the boys and come here if you need to get out. The guys will have to stay on the porch, but it is covered.

Lynn

Shannon I hope you avoid any major flooding. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

A year ago this past June we got nailed, over half our state was flooded. I don't live in a flood plain, but I got nailed. The one side of my foundation caved in, had 3 feet of water in my basement. It took out my furnace and my hot water heater. Of course I didn't have insurance for that and FEMA was no help, they gave me a check for $630.00. That paid for the water heater and the rest of the damage ($18,000.00 worth) had to come out of my pocket. I was lucky though a lot of people lost their house completely. So I hope you avoid anything like that.

Oh the prayers are going up big time... come north, young lady, come north...

try singing even if you can't, doesn't need to be very loud, the dogs can hear it and that will also help calm them. Our last dog, a terrier/beagle slept right thru storm.. didn't bother him at all.

God Bless and stay safe..

RitaR

Hey Shannon,

Prayers are with you and that weather! I would definately be ready to take the machine head off and carry it upstairs along with anything else you can...if it gets closer can you put sandbags along the outside of your basement? Yep a good time for some hand sewing and dog petting...

Shannon,

I was watching this this morning on the news. My husband's uncle lives about 30 minutes outside of Atlanta. I sure hope the rain stops soon. Hang in there. I'd take nemo out of the basement and up high. That way at least you wouldn't have to worry if the frame got wet. Hang in there! I hate thunderstorms but down south they are so much worse than here in the north!

Originally posted by LinneaMarie

We have been unusually dry for Ohio this time of year. Send some of that rain up here;

you are totally welcome to come get it...how many buckets ya got? :P

here's my back yard since i posted the first post. the water was on the other side of the fence....

post--13461902617538_thumb.jpg

Archived