I Can't believe I'm finally finished! Embroidery quilt

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by lindasewsit

I am thinking about charging .06 psi for this quilt. that is $201. What do you all think? Is that too much?

I just reread your post and saw this....WOW can I send all my ruler work to you....your WAY to cheap, even for my area of standards. This type of ruler work is not only time consuming, but not easy to get perfect. I very well could be wrong here, but shouldn't something like that go for at least 8 cents an inch....?

I have no idea what your area is charging, but 6 cents an inch does sound a bit low.... girls help out here, what are you all getting for something this labor intense and with this much ruler work?

Linda,

I would go with at least $250 for that kind of work. I think Bonnie is right that you should be charging .08 or even .09 for that kind of detail. I still don't think you're making enough at 250 but not sure if your customer would pay more. The quilt is exquisite! I consider this kind of work heirloom and my rates go from .05 - .10 or higher depending on what they want and how dense the quilting is. It is a really hard thing to make money on!

Linda, you are getting some great feedback and advice on pricing. If I were you, I would have a talk with the customer and tell her all the hours and time you spent and the (how many were there??) stops and starts ---- and with that conversation, ask her what she would consider a fair price. You can give her a baseline number and negotiate? That way perhaps you two can both be happy. I think it's always beneficial to tell the customer how labor intensive and time consuming a project is so they appreciate your hard work. Sure, I agree with you too that the privilege to work on this and the experience you gained is priceless but don't undersell yourself. :)

Linda,

This is an absolutley darling quilt. Your quilting has turned it into a wonderful heirloom quilt.

Isn't it thrilling to know that fifty years from now your name will be mentioned as the quilter, who brought this gorgeous quilt to life.:cool:

Great job, you have earned the right to be proud. It is going into my favorites.

Carolj.

I just sat down to check the daily post and my email. Wow what quiltling. I don't believe I saw anything like this at quilt fest this week. All I can say is ditto to all before me and try to say wow a little sounder so you can hear!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks Linda I will have to remember that when I am ready to do the ovals on my sbs quilt. I think they will be quite large though, so hopefully that wont be a problem, my blocks are 15 inches. the sbs ovals must be at least 12 inches tall but like yours each block is a different shape and size.

The quilt is gorgeous and you did an outstanding job. 35-40 hours and many quilters are

making $20-$$30 per hour. If you really want to give her a good price start the negotiating at $600. That's only $15 per hour. If you give it to her too cheap she'll always expect you to charge her too little. What if she then sends all her friends to you?

If you don't feel like you're making any money you won't enjoy what you do and you'll end up quitting.

Good Luck, Anne

Linda, this quilt is magnificent! I loved the oval surrounding the embroidery, it really sets off both the embroidery and the quilting. Thankyou for sharing your work, it was very inspiring. I can understand the time you put in, I take ages to do a custom quilt. Wish I could be faster, but now I've got my new Millie, I WILL get quicker I'm sure!

Shelley

Linda,

The quilt is beautiful. $200 is too low for this work. Do you know if your customer plans on entering the quilt in the show?

I need help from others with more experience on the forum. I've never entered anything in a show. Would it be wrong for Linda to charge $250-$300 and then ask for a share of any prize money? How do piecers/quilters divy up prize winnings? A show ribbon of some sort would help you justify higher prices in the future . . . . Of course these pictures help justify that as well.

Congratulations on a beautiful job.

Lynn

Lynn,

I would never expect anybody to share prize money with me unless this was the agreement before I quilted it. The way I see it is they have paid me for my service and my job is done. I would say that if somebody wanted me to do custom work that is intricate I would be sure to charge for my time. I think I've decided to set an hourly rate for pieces that are hard to gauge how much time they will take. I haven't really decided for sure on that though. Work like the one Linda just did is exactly what I think this quilt needed but pricing it is so hard! Obviously she had lots of hours wrapped up in that quilt!

That quilt is awesome!! Just beautiful and you did a wonderful job. But you are way to cheap!!! If you don't mind I will just send my custome ruler work to you for that amount of money.... it is time for you to raise your prices.

Your X-hatching is perfect and so are your feathers. You really made that quilt sing.

Archived