Ethical Questions

Okay, so here's the deal: A very well-respected quilter in our guild has basically taken me under her wing since the first quilt I quilted "professionally." She's been a big help and I'm sure her confidence in me has helped me to get even more quilters from the guild as well as the students she teaches.

But...she still sends some of her quilts out to a lady in another town. This lady has a computer and is able to return the quilts quickly. She isn't, however, very proficieint with her computer (she doesn't size borders to fit, etc.) But she's able to be faster than I, since I don't believe she works and she does strictly panto-type things only with her computer.

Dennis has been bugging me for months now that I should get a computer system so that on the quilts that I do with a panto, the computer could actually do it. I've been putting it off because I wanted to be good with freehanding before I was tempted to just let the computer do everything. I feel that I'm at the point where even though the computer can do things more accurately, I don't believe I'll let it become a crutch.

So...all this long-windedness (is that a word??:D) boils down to this question: Since this woman has become a mentor of sorts, would it be inappropriate for me to ask her about the woman out of town? For example: Why does she still send some quilts there? If I got a computer and could promise a 2-week turn-around on computerized designs, would she use me instead?

Thoughts, please...

Well...I think I'd consider her answer first. What if she says, "No this little ole lady needs the money so I am helping her out." Would you then say, oh, well I won't get one? If you don't know her answer and you want a computer you will never have to feel guilty that you are taking work from a little ole lady who needs a break. Just a thought.

I think I would get a computer to help go a little faster if you wanted it. I do have a question I hope anyone can answer. My customers bring me quilts which are not pressed or squared. Do you charge extra for pressing and squaring them before loading them. There are times I really don't have the time to do this. My brochures give guidelines for this but I am still having problems. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks . Carolyn

Thanks, Julie and Sylvia...I knew there'd be good info from you guys. Its nice to be able to get second opinions before eating shoe leather:P:D

Carolyn, I charge a set-up fee. If you don't do that, you might consider it. Or just tack on an extra fee for what you're doing and list it on the invoice.

Dory,

One of my very first customers was a lady I met at a class at a LQS. When she started bringing me quilt tops she told me that she has 3 machine quilters because one just would not be able to keep up. In my pea brain I told myself that I could be her only quilter and I would show her. Ha! She brought me 4 tops each time I called her to tell her the last 4 were finished. Plus my business was growing. I found out she was right 1 machine quilter couldn't keep up. Then when she bought her own machine :( she told me that she uses my quilts as a pattern to learn by. The quilts she was taking to the other lady were being done by a computer, but she actually liked my quilting because she felt it was beautiful. When she told me that she bought her own machine so she could learn to quilt, I was really torn up. But when she told me that while she was practicing her DH came in and looked at one of the quilts I had quilted and said, "You think you will ever be able to quilt like this?" I was so very flattered. I have had 2 customers tell me lately that they come to me because they like my quilting and not the others they have gone to. That makes me feel accomplished.

I'm not telling you not to get a computer. Three of my best friends on this site, Linda Card, Donna Smith and Debbi (I know I will spell her name wrong) Trusch, have all gone computerized and they love it. I would say, if you have the funds and you want to get the computer then do it, but don't let your customers decide your fate. Think about if you would enjoy the computerized quilting or not. If you find joy in the quilting you are doing now, keep it up. If you want to challenge yourself and take a leap into technology then go for it.

Dory, I agree with the others. Get a computer because you want it not because of the lady. Computers can be faster at pantos but custom can be timely. The nice thing is that while the computer is quilting you can be doing something else. I got a computer because my free hand stinks and I don't have the amount of time needed to practice. My hubby was tired of "gator" sitting and gathering dust. This should be a decision solely based on your wants and needs.

Carol, I also charge a set-up fee. When you charge for something the customers tend to be a little more careful to follow your directions.

I will be getting a computer system in a couple of months. I want to do pantos - can't do them freehand (ick) and feel this will help me get more customers in my area. I also want one so I can be doing something else while the machine is quilting away.

I wouldn't talk to the lady but let her know you have a computer system if you do purchase one and are comfortable using it. Then she has options if it's only about time.

Good luck!!!

I agree with everyone, if you want it and are ready for it then do it. You may find that eventually you may need another machine, space depending so you can have the computer doing one quilt top while you do another. We have a LA quilter who has I think 3 machines. One with the computer and the others for more freehand and custom. If your quilting is well done the tops will come.

Charlotte

Dory,

Ditto on Heidi's advice, I too have customers that continue to bring quilts to some of the other LA'rs in my area and when they told me that, they followed by saying but I come to you for custom work. This was very flattering as it was what I was hoping to build my business reputation on. The others do mostly pantos. HOWEVER, pantos are the bread and butter and are the fastest to do, which earn the most quilting dollars, so a nice balance would be good. Why can't you go ahead, get your computer and use it when a quilt calls for it and when you have a custom quilt, why not use both the computer and then add freehand custom work to finish off those special quilts? Best of all worlds...

Vicki, what you've suggested is basically what I hope to do...someday. I love doing custom and I am getting a reputation locally of being good at custom. I do very few pantos.

You all have been great with your advice. I truly value and appreciate your opinions. I love the network of friends I have here and the freedom I have to ask questions and get honest answers.

Thank you everyone...this was exactly what I was looking for.:)

Dory - One of the LArs in our guild started with a Millie, not computerized. Her business grew very quickly and her backlog got to a point she realized she needed a second machine, computerized, to do the pantos. This allows her time to focus on custom and freehand.

Will the yurt have enough room to add another LA? :)

anita

Hi Dory,

Quite a few of my customers use more than one LAer and while originally that would sorta bother me, I quickly got over it as my backlog was always more than sufficient to keep me busy. And the customers continue to come back.

The reason I know they use other LAers is due to show-n-tell at guilds and also when they bring me a quilt that wasn't done 'quite right' and needs to be redone.

I hope to get a computerized system in about 18 months. Starting to save those pennies now.

Originally posted by anita

Will the yurt have enough room to add another LA? :)

anita

It will when I kick Dennis out:P:D:P

I'm actually plenty busy with a full time job; a new little mare that needs to be ridden at least three times a week (she's greenbroke) and my current backlog. I think I start to worry when I think about retiring and not having enough to do. Although, when I retire, who knows? Maybe I'll actually get some of my stuff done!

I'd love to be busy enough to "need" two machines!

It seems to me that if this woman is a mentor, she would not object to you asking why she sends quilts to another quilter. There may be a simple explanation. Maybe the other quilter charges a lot less (remember, her skills are not as good). Some quilts I have made are more utilitarian, and I would not have wanted to spend a bunch to get them quilted. (Maybe she is getting a "deal" while this quilter is learning her computerized system.) Some quilts are "instant projects" that were whipped up in a week or so for a special occasion, and they don't warrant detailed quilting...they just needed a really quick turnaround. I would frame this question in regard to a business decision, so that the lady doesn't feel emotionally blackmailed. I wouldn't try to get her business away from the other quilter, however. If you decide to get a computer system, that decision should be based on your business alone, as others have stated.

Hi Dory,

I thought that I would chime in on some of your concerns. I love that you want to be able to quilt on your own before you go computerized. The computer is really just another tool in your tool box. If you decide on a computer, please continue to work on your own quilting skills, too.

And I wanted to mention one other thiing. The computer is not necessarily faster than your quilting. Some patterns are pretty intense and take 25-30 minutes a pass (row).

I do some with panto in the center field and a separate border treatment; it is tricky as the computer, the IQ anyway, travels down the edge (inner border in this example) to finish a design in the row. What that means is that you may end up with a vertical line(s) on your horizontal row. And that's great...if it lines up on the SID of the border. If it does not line up, frog, frog, frog. I usually stand and wait at the end of the row to Pause the machine before it starts that vertical traveling line.I'm sure there is a way to fix that but I have still not figured it out.

As far as speaking to your mentor, I would definitely feel her out on it. Maybe it is, as suggested above, that she is helping out somebody else. She sounds like a good person.

Thanks, Lynn and Linda. Linda I will definitely continue to work on my freehand skills, whether I have a computer or not. I love doing freehand and I really like seeing how far I've come with it from when I started. Its amazing what that "practice" word does for your quilting! I'm even trying things that I never would have considered in the past and I don't want to lose that.

My biggest issue is coming home from work (10 hour days), feeding horses, cooking dinner and then trying to quilt. Usually I'm ready for bed and too tired so my thought was that if I had a computer, I could do those panto/computer quilts on work nights and my custom stuff on weekends. Mostly I'm just "thinking out loud" and was looking to all of you for your input and opinions. Its nice to have you all as a "sounding board."

Dory, Nice to hear that I'm not the only 1 who can't figure out why customers don't bring me their quilts and that I'm so busy I don't know if I'm coming or going sometimes. Though I don't have a computer, I'd guess that you still need to be around the machine almost as much as quilting freehand and you still have the time of loading, taking off, etc. So, would it really be saving your time in the long run? Sounds like you just need to get the computer when/if YOU are ready and not let someone else drive that decision.

As I'm a new LA-quilter, I'm now in the phase of practicing and learning all the ins and outs of my Millenium, I don't work on real tops yet and I have not started a bussiness yet.

But I know now allready that in the future I will have a computerized system.

The reason is not working faster or more regular patterns.

No simply to prefend myself of getting problems with my shoulders or upper arms.

I have a friend who is also LA-quilter, and she is doing it as a business for several years now. She is doing a lot of quilts for a charity project where I'm also involved in. She gets a fixed rate per quilt. These quilts are going to children with serious chronical or livethreatening illnesses or with a serious trauma.

In the future when my quiltingquality is good enough for doing one of these quilts I can help her with it so she has more time for quilts from clients who pay per m2.

We are both not that long, although she is a bit longer as I'm. She was did most quilts with pantho's, from that she got pain in her shoulders. :(Her DH did buy her an IQ. She is now always working with it and has no more pain in her shoulders.:)

When I visited her a few months ago, during the time I was finding out what Long Arm will I buy. She was working on one of the charity quilts, she always at her machine and guiding the top. The quality of these kind of quilts can is not always that good. In the end it was good quilted without any uneven areas.

Dory,

As others have said, get a computer if you want to, BUT don't think you will automatically be faster with a computer. If you do a good job with the computer and not just a quicky job like that other woman was doing, it can take you just as long to use the computer as to do it freehand. I have a computer, I know!

I like the versatility of a computer. I don't have to take time to learn lots and lots of different designs, but those that I can free-hand, I can do most faster than I can do them with the computer; not all, but most. And also don't assume that you can do other things while the computer is working. I can do that on some quilts, but not all quilts are created equal, as I am sure you know since you get customer quilts. Some of them, I am messing with the fabric all the while the computer is going to make sure there are no tucks in the quilt as the computer does its quilting; making sure the hopping foot is not pushing loose fabric along to then end up in a tuck.

I also love the consistency and evenness of the computer. It is far better than I'll ever get on my free-handing, but on the other hand, the computer quilts a perfect design (as long as it is digitized correctly) and it expects a perfect quilt to quilt it on. So you cannot always adjust the design to take into account a row that has a little dip in it, etc. Sometimes you can, but no always.

There are pros and cons in everything so just giving you a few that I have found.

Good luck with your decision.

Archived