Blue star quilt finished, pics

Here is another "practice" piece! All my quilts are practice.

This is a king sized quilt I made for my niece for her wedding. It ended up about 105 inches square. I have decided that I don't want to make that size again, queen works for me!

The quilting is all free hand on George. I didn't keep track but I think I spent at least 40 hours on the quilting all told. Not all 40 constant stitching, but manuevering and checking designs or putting in guidelines too. Used King Tut on top and Aurifil (regular machine piecing thread) in bobbin.

The tan border of feathers around the center star area is the place where my thread kept breaking, not a problem on any of the other designs or area.

Enjoy.

post--13461902905445_thumb.jpg

Thanks all. Yes, all my pieces are practice, because I don't have the time available to just play with unplanned fabrics. So every quilt I do, is more practice on the moves and patterns. I can see improvement in my work, and plenty of room for more improvement, but I am pleased with how well it did turn out.

As for quilting a king on George, it sure beats quilting a king on my regular Pfaff with a 8-9 inch throat--20 inches are so much nicer!

The batting on this one was much thicker than I have normally used, so it does have some issues there, but I'm sure they won't ever claim they are cold with it!

Archived