Quilt from a Photo

Here's a wallhanging I just finished - that is a christmas gift. A business friend of my brothers offered him the use of his 'castle' in St Maarten for a 10 day vacation. So my brother invited us to join him along with some other couples. As a thank you gift I made this for owner to put in his office in Buffalo NY (to help him make it through all that snowy weather). Maybe I'll get lucky and get a really sweet vacation offer.

This is the 3rd non-traditional quilt I've made. It's going to be very hard to put this in the mail come Monday.

post--13461903011086_thumb.jpg

I used the photo as reference. I blew it up as a poster in Publisher, traced it onto tracing paper to use as a template, and then cut and fused fabric - like a collage. The bottom left has about 5-6 different fabrics to make up the leaves around the planter. I then used mostly raw edge - on my longarm, with some satin stitch using my domestic machine. Some the the leaves under the window are from the domestic, the others are freehand using my APQS Liberty. Life is soooo good.

post--13461903011559_thumb.jpg

I knew getting the window reflection would be impossible - so I had it printed on fabric. Sent it to Jeff at JNC quilts to make sure it was the right color match (he does the photos for MQX) and he not only printed it in the correct very 'large' size but also photoshopped out the security sticker in the window. What a guy!!!!

I wish I could put it in a show but it's going 500 miles away later today. Sad. I didn't keep track of time but I'd say a good dedicated 4 days would do it - after all the fabric shopping was done. It took me an evening to get the base laid (castle, decking, background layer) Then another 2 days for all the detail work, then less than a day of stitching between the domestic and the LA. I just may do it again....I'm thinking about another photo of the place that could hang in my sewing room.

Archived