I'm excited and scared

I have just bought a new Millenium and I am so excited about it coming. They say it should be here in about a week once they send it out. I have to get my space ready and there is so much to do. I am also scared because what if I can't succeed in longarm quilting and a part time buisness. Does everyone feel this way in the beginning or is it just me?

Thanks

Denise

Hi Denise and welcome to this forum. The ladies are terrific here

and most of your questions will be answered.

I got my machine at the end of November last year and I have

allowed myself to be "the new kid on the block". I picked one

person on the forum and I mail this person U2U ask questions

and she is very kind answering back.

Allow yourself lots of "practice time" and pretty soon before

you know it, you will be up and running.

Good luck Denise and have fun. Having fun is important in my book.

Hi Denise, I know exactly how you feel. I can honestly tell you that if you really want it, try hard, and are willing to do your best, you will succeed.

Get on board with your local quilt shop for referrals and you will go far. That is how I've gotten 90% of my business. I invested all this money into a fancy website and all that nonsense, but all you really need is that word of mouth business. Get in good with the shop, do their shop samples (and wow them with your work), always be prompt, positive, willing, and reliable, and you will do well.

I also offer a discount for referrals--that seems to really help, offering a little incentive for your customers to refer you to others. I also offer the employees in the quilt shop a discount.

All you really need are some good business cards, and if you feel up to it a brochure is a good idea too. I started doing that, and I find customers calling me and telling me they chose me because the other quilters that the shop refers people to just have business cards--and with my brochure they get more info. It makes it an easier decision for them. My brochure is also very simple, and to the point so I don't stress them out--you wouldn't believe how many people get all nervous about getting their quilts done, and if you can make it easy for them, that really helps.

Thanks, and great first step of getting involved with this forum--very smart!

Guest Linda S

Welcome Denise! As soon as I read the title of your post, I knew exactly what you had just done! Yes, we all feel a bit crazy when we take this first step. Look at it this way -- when I ordered my Liberty, I'd never tried it (I tried my rep's Millennium and knew it was too big for me), I had a crummy old attic to put it in, and needed to tear out the walls, insulate, drywall, and re-finish the floors before I could put the machine up. I was one exhausted little monkey for several weeks, but I got it done. I've been happy ever since. I can imagine you'll lie awake at night several times till your machine arrives, wondering if you did the right thing. It will be just fine!

Linda

I just got my Millennium earlier this spring and love it, love it, love it. I went from a mid arm HQ16 to the Millennium and am amazed how easy it is to operate. It will take you a while to get in sync with your machine, but it will happen. Ask lots of questions. I have learned so much from these great ladies (and gentlemen) on this forum. I do mostly quilting for myself, family and quilt group, but have branched out to doing some customer work as well. I don't want to advertise, but just word of mouth is getting me enough business. I still want to have time to have fun with my own projects, but maybe make a little extra $$ to support my "habit". :P

The UPS man came again today and my DH said "I suppose that is more quilt stuff"............he was so wrong (that comes tomorrow !) :P

Have fun with your new machine.

Hi Denise and welcome to the forum! I certainly felt that way. I recommend taking lots of classes. Plan on coming to KC for MQS next year. They have fabulous teachers and yes PPP and you'll be fine. Don't second guess yourself. You have made a great choice. Everyone here is very friendly and informative. I say "This is more fun than should be allowed by law":D:D:D

Denise,

My Millenium arrived in September. I had a year of practice on the HQ16, so it wasn't as daunting. But I remember not touching my HQ for a few months until a friend asked if I could quilt something for her. Then I realized that if I didn't use the machine a little every day, I would let it defeat me.

Today, I'm amazed at what I can do with my machine. Anyone on this forum will help you. I U2U so many members and have never had anyone refuse me an answer. I've called and talked to them, too. You learn so much on this site, it's better than going to a quilt show. (Well, almost!)

I'm retired and don't want a big business, but I still have people asking me to quilt for them. I spend all the money on quilting gadgets, so it's a nice hobby that pays for itself. Yes, everyone's gone through this. In a few months you'll look back and say, "What was I thinking?"

Stay on line and let us know how you're doing.

hi and welcome -

everyone i know has had the 'what have i just done' jitters.

once you get the jitters out - i know you're gonna love it!

and this is a great place for learning.

everyone is so helpful.

Welcome, Denise. You'll get over the jitters after while. I wasn't nervous until I got my first customer quilt to do and then, WOW! I laid away for a few nights before I got the courage to even load the quilt, much less quilt on it.

That still happens once in a while, but mostly I just look forward to the fun I'll have on the next one in line.

Welcome aboard the Insanity Wagon of Quilting.. fun, frustrating, artistic, invigorating, tiring world of long arm quilting.. it IS fun, this group is wonderful, and helpful, and prayerful, and friendly.. hope you stay with us, and do not undercut yourself. You get the machine and practice a while.. and suddenly you will realize you are doing pretty darned good stitching.. you will find your way to do things.. and which is your fav. method of doing things, as well as your favorite method of quilting, panto's, templates, free hand, custom, heirloom, Quiltazoid, etc.

Just enjoy, and ppp and ppp some more..

RitaR

Thank you all for your advice, I will keep you updated on my progress and I am sure I will ask you for more advice. I have been reading this forum for about 2 months and finally decided to join in and I am so glad I did. You are all so friendly and welcoming. Thanks for everything.

Denise

Welcome! I've had my machine for a few months and I am still having tension issues. Not my machine... Mollie is perfect! My tension comes when my husband asks how the business is going! I am inspired by the photos posted here, laugh at the funny stuff, cry with the sad messages but I have learned an extreme amount from the quilters on this forum. I cannot tell everyone the encouragement I receive here!!!! Thanks everyone....Happy Quilting!!

Hi Denise. You inspired me to put my first post on here. I know your anxiety since I just got my Millennium one week ago (thank you Sandra and Dave). We kept tape measures stretched out on the floor for the week before trying to get an idea of where to place it!! Now that its here, I love it. I know you will love yours too. Like the others said, it takes practice.:cool:

Archived