Video

I've just put up a video of some of the quilting one Holiday Starrfire on my blog.

http://ferfab.blogspot.com/2010/07/holiday-starrfire-quilting-video.html

It's got footage of a couple of feathers that fill block parts. I thought it might appeal for the ladies from last weekend. However listen to Tracy and Linzi about rulers. I did warn you I don't follow the rules. It turns out the little ruler I like is from the Gadget Girls :)

Ferret

Glad you liked it Kath. The castle ruler does look cool, but for how I use then I think it would be too big for me. I will add in my defence (guilty of bad ruler use) I do at least keep my hand where I am stitching :)

I can just see Tracy having kittens when she sees this. Still she cant reach to slap my wrist from here :)

Ferret

WOW!! The video is brill, especially with music and captions... and everything! Finished quilt is lovely.

Er, I use a ruler like that too and Tracy can't get me here either (tee-hee but she does show people how to do it the proper way). I wish I didn't always want to do my feathers back to front, will have to do some more drawing. I may have to get Deloa's boomerangs if we are discussing nice rulers...

Back to front is fine, especially with one sided feathers. Actually I think one sided feathers make a lot of sense as a starting point for beginners too. I wonder how many of us do use our rulers like that :)

Tell us more about these boomerangs.

Ferret

The video is great!! A really great one for us newbies. Thanks.

Question....It looks like you where changing color of top thread for each of the four areas (yellow, blue, purple etc.) If so, do you do all of the yellow areas in the stitching area and then change color (before advancing your quilt)? I am still trying to figure out the most effecient way to work with more than one color of thread. I just finished my first quilt without a pantograh. It has SID and free hand flowers etc. (lots of flying geese) I now know why I should use monofilament thread for SID but I don't think it is too bad for the first attempt at rulers. My question is when does everyone change threads and if you are using invisible thread on top do you have to change the bobbin to invisible also? I was too lazy to try the monofilament and keep changing tension settings as I wanted to concentrate on learning to use the rulers to do SID and straight lines. I was using Dawn Cavanaugh's SID ruler and the "itty bitty". I used the "itty bitty" like you used your straight ruler...it fits in my hand with more control than the SID ruler.

How did you like the aurfil threads? Which ones did you try?

Thanks again for taking the time and effort to make the video.:cool:

Yes I was using 5 colours of threads. I did each of the five in each pass before advancing. I like an area to be finished before I wind it on. I do very very little SID, that was probably a years worth on that quilt. I haven't done any yet this year and I don't have any planned yet. I never use invisible thread because I find it very visible. Something about how it catches the light make it really stand out to me. Also it's pretty annoying in a bed quilt when an end gets loose.

I love the Aurifil threads but I can't justify the cost. Not with the amount of thread I use. It could double my thread bill, which when you are using a cone or two on a quilt is a huge increase.

Ferret

Am loving your video Ferret. You make SID look so easy peasy !!! Well you make feathers look easy too. I use the castle too but havent done too much SID yet, and although I have one of the boomerang rulers, so far (because of my back and neck issues) I have not had chance to try it out yet.

Looking forward to your next teaching video !

Take care,

:)

Archived